There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

my mock draft again...this time, I was sober

1st round
DT Stephen Tuitt, Notre Dame
I go along with Phoenix and other scouts. Tuitt seems to bring a better pass-rush ability to the table than Hageman. We need as many top-quality d- and o-linemen as possible.

2nd round
WR Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss
from KC.
Won't explain it, don't have to explain it :p

2nd round
CB/FS Lamarcus Joyner, FSU
could be already gone here but let's dream a little bit. We need another CB-project and a FS-backup.

3rd round
WR Bruce Ellington, South Carolina
from Titans.
a quick slot receiver which is completely missed at 49ers.

4th round
SS Craig Loston, LSU
I've traded down a little bit, assumed to receive a 2nd-3rd day (conditional?) pick in 2015.
I've picked our SS of the future who can sit and learn behind Bethea for 1-3 years.

4th round
DE Dominique Easley, Florida
edit: WR Dri Archer, Kent State
Easley would be nice but the d-line is stacked with the Tuitt-pick for now.
Instead, I pick another dynamic guy who could be a very good returner and something like Sproles on passing 3rd downs and screen plays in general.

4th round
C Bryan Stork, FSU
edit: DE/OLB Chris Smith, Arkansas
compensatory pick.
Actually I wanted to pick Christian Jones but i feel like we have plenty of ILBs with Willis, Whilhoite, Moody and Skuta.
Therefore I go for a guy who could be either another 5-technique DE or an OLB, whatever he fits best. Who knows, perhaps he can be a good ILB.

5th round
OT Charles Leno, Boise State
edit: CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
another CB, this time a long-armed one.
Perhaps we have to jump a little bit.

7th round
FB Trey Millard, Oklahoma
ask Phoenix ;)

7th round
QB Jeff Matthews, Cornell
ask AB :D
as to nfl.com and cbs.com, the guy seems to have a strong arm and very good accuracy although his mechanics still need some work. Unfortunately, he is NOT very athletic. Very nice attitude, good decision-making.

7th round
CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
edit: OG Spencer Long, Nebraska

Critique
(-another CB in round 3-5 would be nice.)
-no LB-pick at all.
-too much copy&paste from other mock drafts :D
[ Edited by communist on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:49 AM ]
Tuitt will probably drop in the draft to mid 2nd round now. We could trade back and get him and if by some chance he is gone then there would be lots of great players to choose from.

No need to waste a 5th round pick on another OT. With the trade for Martin there won't be a place on the roster for him and if we try to put him on the practice squad he would probably get taken by another team. Maybe another CB would be better.
I don't see a rookie lineman making the 53. Our DL features Cowboy, McDonald, Dorsey, Williams, Tank, TJE, Dobbs, and Dial. Super freak Okoye will also get a shot in TC, after a year of watching and doing football related "physical therapy." That's 8-9 guys already, 7 of whom are game tested, on a team that will keep 6-7 DL.

Our OL features the 5 starters, Looney (G/C), Martin (T/G), Snyder (all 5), Seymour (C/G), Marquadt (beast T project), Bykowski (T project). We keep 8 on the roster. I am confident Looney and Martin make it, and it'll be tough for the coaches to cut Snyder for a rookie. Marquadt/Seymour/Bykowski could also compete for that final spot.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I don't see a rookie lineman making the 53. Our DL features Cowboy, McDonald, Dorsey, Williams, Tank, TJE, Dobbs, and Dial. Super freak Okoye will also get a shot in TC, after a year of watching and doing football related "physical therapy." That's 8-9 guys already, 7 of whom are game tested, on a team that will keep 6-7 DL.

Our OL features the 5 starters, Looney (G/C), Martin (T/G), Snyder (all 5), Seymour (C/G), Marquadt (beast T project), Bykowski (T project). We keep 8 on the roster. I am confident Looney and Martin make it, and it'll be tough for the coaches to cut Snyder for a rookie. Marquadt/Seymour/Bykowski could also compete for that final spot.

Couldn't agree more.
My idea is, to be honest it is not mine of course:
load the trenches with talent as good as you can. I don't care about Dobbs at all and I don't care about TJE either and especially not about Okoye. One of them could be gone due to final cut. We are talking about Tuitt, a 1st-round prospect, you do get that, right?
BUT it is a legitimate point.
BTW, drafting Tuitt means "Dobbs, TJE, Okoye, get your arse up or you are done here"...

Stork is a late 4th-rounder who could be placed at the PS. He is versatile at the interior o-line.

Additionally to that, we don't know how good the mentioned guys really are.

BUT it is another legitimate point as well.

Ok, another OT is really not needed for now at all.

I don't want to miss out on Tuitt. If the guy is available with our first-rounder, go get him.
[ Edited by communist on Mar 14, 2014 at 7:16 AM ]
TJE played like a starter, and Tank was considered early 1st round talent pre-injury. Williams/Doesey should compete for starter reps at NT. That's six right there. If Okoye is the bio mechanical savant he's been made out as, his freakish talent could translate to the field, making him impossible to stash on th PS (okay, that one is a big if). Just sayin'
We don't know what CB/CB's Baalke will sign in FA yet...am hoping Thurmond's one of 'em. Not only to replace Rogers with his ability to cover the slot guys, but because he'd be a former Seahawk. That said, I'd draft a CB or two with longer arms than Joyner or Aikens. Like Aikens' size, but like most CB's doesn't have the long arms Baalke so covets. A few to consider would include Fuller, McGill, Desir.

Have to agree with some other critiques WRT OL...we're very well stocked, both with roster and PS players. Drafting more seems rather pointless. On the DL, I like both Tuitt and Easley...I'd have no problem if Baalke took them as "redshirts" a la Tank so they'd be ready to rock in 2015. Tuitt's injury may not dictate the IRL, but agree his size and talent would be hard to pass up.

WRT QB, I'd probably take one a bit earlier...maybe Fales, Brett Smith or James Franklin, the latter two guys are very mobile and athletic.
Good mock, Aiken has moved up to around 4th - 5th round this offseason.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Couldn't agree more.

+1
ok, drop the OT in the 5th and go for Aikens instead.
perhaps we have to trade a little bit up.

I dont know why but i dont like fales. and if i would drop the Center, i would go for QB Murray instead :p
Good Mock!

Not perfect and I don't think there is such a thing.

I believe the wars are won in the trenches and I love OLine & DLine picks. Keep in mind, we have to be ready for the Iupati situation. He hasn't been healthy AND if he is, BIG $$$ will be waiting for him elsewhere.

Getting guys that we can stash on IR is VERY smart since we are so stacked on our roster. Frankly, we should do more of it. Easley, Colvin, Millard, Long - why not?

Everything I'm reading about Tuitt is he'll be a tough, effective player. Good move!

Montcrief is my draft crush and Ellington are solid picks.
Jordan Matthews > Moncrief. Just my professional onion. ;)
GTFO. just my opinion.

;)
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Good mock, Aiken has moved up to around 4th - 5th round this offseason.

Agreed on Aiken. Everyone else is solid. My preference would be to get an ILB or OLB instead of the OT, but that's splitting hairs. You're much better at this when you are sober.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
Don't like it. Am I the only one that was impressed with TJE and Dorsey last season? And with Tank and Dial, why go DL with first pick?