LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2014 Mock Draft V5.0

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Love all the picks except Tuitt, not because I don't like the guy, but because I think your instinct is right...we're going to trade up and get either Evans, Marqise Lee or Brandin Cooks (depending on who Harbaugh likes best). The only question I have is about McKinnon. Do you think an athlete like that will last until the end of the draft? I read in a few places that he's moved into the late 3rd/4th round as a RB prospect, so I'm not sure about that one.

I think those places are being incredibly optimistic, he's a guy with tremendous athleticism who has no real NFL position as of yet. He'll definitely be drafted but I don't see it happening until far later. For what it is worth, NFL.com also has him as a 7th rounder.
Nice mock. I do think they need d Lineman, but it's telling that they are looking at receiver as shown in their interest in Nicks and Edelman. With few needs and multiple picks I think he's going to be aggressive and move up for an impact player. Trading wise he will control the 3rd round using his 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Nice mock
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Love all the picks except Tuitt, not because I don't like the guy, but because I think your instinct is right...we're going to trade up and get either Evans, Marqise Lee or Brandin Cooks (depending on who Harbaugh likes best). The only question I have is about McKinnon. Do you think an athlete like that will last until the end of the draft? I read in a few places that he's moved into the late 3rd/4th round as a RB prospect, so I'm not sure about that one.

I think those places are being incredibly optimistic, he's a guy with tremendous athleticism who has no real NFL position as of yet. He'll definitely be drafted but I don't see it happening until far later. For what it is worth, NFL.com also has him as a 7th rounder.

If we can get an athletic freak like that at the end of the draft it would be incredible.
Ive been down with tha Tuitt beast in tha 1st round forever glad to see others catching on ....just wondering if Reynolds at tha end of tha 2nd is high for him ??? In general this would be a great draft .....
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

what do you think about trading back into the early 2nd, selecting Moncrief/Joyner/Fuller, and picking up a 3rd or 2nd next year?

I personally love the idea, but I highly doubt that's what we'll do. I think well target someone in the 15-22 range and go up to get him.

These are my exact thoughts too. I see a few main strategies the 49ers could take.

1) See if Gilbert, Dennard falls between that middle-of-the-first range, trade up and snag them
2) See if a top WR they love unexpectedly falls to that range for them, and again they trade up for them
3) Stand pat, and take the BPA on their board. There are a number of positional targets, including the following: DTs Hageman/Tuitt, CBs Fuller/Roby/Verrett, WR Lee/Cooks/Beckham, S Calvin Pryor/Jimmie Ward.
Originally posted by Butter:
Well done Phoenix! This seems like the deal draft. With the current FA signings, I think this ismthe right approach. I love the deal of a potential replacememt to McDonald.

A few factors that I think should be considered.

1) Likely trades up. The Niners have limited roster spots. I can easily see them moving up from 30, and then also moving up a second time to the top of the 2nd.

2 good chance Baalke moves some mid-late round picks for future picks.

3) Injured players, also agree theyll continue to stash injured players

Originally posted by Butter:
Well done Phoenix! This seems like the deal draft. With the current FA signings, I think this ismthe right approach. I love the deal of a potential replacememt to McDonald.

A few factors that I think should be considered.

1) Likely trades up. The Niners have limited roster spots. I can easily see them moving up from 30, and then also moving up a second time to the top of the 2nd.

2) 2015 picks, I completely agree. Rally good chance Baalke moves some mid-late round picks for future picks.

3) Injured players, also agree theyll continue to stash injured players

I know trading for future picks is usually a good idea. But this draft is deep, next year won't be nearly as good, so what are we saving for exactly??? Move around the board and get as much 2-4 round targets as possible, for a team that is doing a very good job plugging holes at the moment
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
I know trading for future picks is usually a good idea. But this draft is deep, next year won't be nearly as good, so what are we saving for exactly??? Move around the board and get as much 2-4 round targets as possible, for a team that is doing a very good job plugging holes at the moment

Because you always want to have future flexibility. Let's say that Bethea sucks this year, the guy the 49ers drafted isn't developing as fast as they like, wouldn't it be nice to have some extra picks in 2015 to trade up for a guy that you REALLY REALLY like without essentially blowing your whole draft?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Because you always want to have future flexibility. Let's say that Bethea sucks this year, the guy the 49ers drafted isn't developing as fast as they like, wouldn't it be nice to have some extra picks in 2015 to trade up for a guy that you REALLY REALLY like without essentially blowing your whole draft?

I agree it's a good strategy to keep recycling picks into higher picks, but if this draft is as good as people say it is, with the ammo that we have, I don't see Baalke passing too much. He could really do damage in this draft. And, for arguments sake, if Baalke zeroes in on 4-6 players he really loves, we should be set up at every position. I know it's unlikely, but if Baalke hits on like 7 out of his 10 picks, he might not need to make a single pick next year because the roster is so deep. I expect Bethea to play well and for us to draft a young safety this year

What I'm really trying to say is, first round talent might be had in the 2nd round this year, where we have the picks to get exactly who we want. I guess I just foresee more packaging for players this year, rather than as much attention to future picks as we have seen in the past. Either way I am greatly anticipating what kind of moves can be made in the coming draft
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Mar 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM ]
I agree it's a good strategy to keep recycling picks into higher picks, but if this draft is as good as people say it is, with the ammo that we have, I don't see Baalke passing too much. He could really do damage in this draft. And, for arguments sake, if Baalke zeroes in on 4-6 players he really loves, we should be set up at every position. I know it's unlikely, but if Baalke hits on like 7 out of his 10 picks, he might not need to make a single pick next year because the roster is so deep. I expect Bethea to play well and for us to draft a young safety this year

You have to expect that there will be free agent losses next year too, not everyone is coming back, every year they'll have players to replace.

Yes
I like Tuitt but I'd rather have a CB in the first round.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM ]
Phoenix, I'm not obsessed with long-armed players...Baalke is. He's stated how he feels about that a number of times. My point to you is if there are CB's or whatever on the board who can play, but have longer arms than another guy, chances are Baalke will go in that direction. Why do you think he just signed Chris Cook...he's 6-2, @ 215 and 32 1/2 " arms. You may not agree that size/length matters, and that's fine, but our GM is definitely looking hard for guys that have both. The example you site is Culliver...and yeah, he may only have a tad over 31 " arms, but that was a couple of years ago. Since Seattle's gone so big in their secondary, bigger, longer CB's have become the new standard. All of that's why I'll be very surprised to see Baalke draft more short-armed CB's.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i don't want to trade out and acquire 2015 picks in this draft; i want to draft top-120 players in this deep draft. we can get 1986-type starters out of this draft, so we need to shoot for getting all our picks done before the mid-4th round--preferably earlier. there are legit, nfl playmakers in the top 100 of this draft; gotta shoot for getting more treasure in the 2nd and 3rd round.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
tuitt would give us that smooth transition to the future of great d-line play, but i can't pass on verrett this year--his feet are just too good and his fire is too good to pass on if he's there.
Share 49ersWebzone