There are 291 users in the forums

Iupati and the 30th Overall for ...

I cannot find any objective data for how the value of a current player translates to draft picks. We have all seen trades where very good players net first round and second round picks. I would suggest Iupati is a top five guard in the NFL and he's still young. So the question is, if the 49ers packaged Iupati and the 30th pick overall, what compensation would that net? Top 10 pick? 1st and 2nd rounders?
  • tjace
  • Veteran
Read this and remembered Chilo Rachal. Let's not get rid of a proven Guard for an unproven prospect. Besides, 9ers are trading up. No way they use all those picks just to cut them later.
Yea Id say you could give Iuptui and two 1sts for a top pick but I wouldn't do that. Do see where you're coming from though assuming Iupati won't be with us next season
Iupati is in a contract year, so he probably doesn't carry much trade value at all. Maybe al ate 2nd-round pick at best, but probably a high 3rd. I'd say he could get the pick up to around 20 or so.

And that said, I wouldn't want 'em to do that. I think re-signing Iupati should be a greater priority than re-signing Crabtree. The strength of the 49ers lies in two things: their pass rush and their dominant OL.
Iupati might get us from 30 to 18-22 range? not worth it to a team chasing a championship.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Iupati is in a contract year, so he probably doesn't carry much trade value at all. Maybe al ate 2nd-round pick at best, but probably a high 3rd. I'd say he could get the pick up to around 20 or so.

And that said, I wouldn't want 'em to do that. I think re-signing Iupati should be a greater priority than re-signing Crabtree. The strength of the 49ers lies in two things: their pass rush and their dominant OL.

iupati and Crabtree were both injured at points last year, which do you think had the bigger effect of the team? Obv Crabtree imo
[ Edited by prhyme on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM ]
Garbage thread...Iupati is a guard that comes around every other decade...,why would you trade that kind of player??
LOL, trying to win a Superbowl, trade away one of the most dominating guards in the NFL to move up a few extra spots for a rookie that might end up being a bust in the end run. Is this real life?
Originally posted by prhyme:
iupati and Crabtree were both injured at points last year, which do you think had the bigger effect of the team? Obv Crabtree imo

Crabtree's easier to replace IMO. Guys like Moncrief, Matthews could be as good or better IMO. And guys like Hopkins, Allen, Patterson or Hunter could've filled in for Crabtree quite admirably last year IMO. Hunter moreso towards the end of the season 'cause started out pretty raw.

Nobody in this year's draft is anywhere close to as good as Iupati IMO. Last year's OG class was one of the best ever, but the Niners still would've had to have traded up to 20 or 10 to get a guy close to as good as Iupati.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL, trying to win a Superbowl, trade away one of the most dominating guards in the NFL to move up a few extra spots for a rookie that might end up being a bust in the end run. Is this real life?

"Is this real life?"

No, It is the Zone

It's really not that ridiculous to talk about trading Iupati. He might go to another team after next season and all we would get is a compensatory pick. Possible fill ins at guard would be Looney, Martin, or a rookie. All these guys are very cheap and won't kill the cap, thus allowing us to spend money on extensions for Aldon, Kap, and Crabtree. If we're not planning on resigning Iupati, it might be wise to trade him and get some great value for him now. You could possibly trade up and get a top rookie like Justin Gilbert or Sammy Watkins.

It would be a gamble though for this year as you might have a hole at the guard position and could hurt our chances of winning the Superbowl this year. But it could really help this team down the line over the next ten years. You have to weigh your options. I wouldn't do it, but I could see the logic for making the move.
I wouldn't want to trade Iupati right now unless some team just made an offer that our front office couldn't refuse. But, with that said, I don't think when Iupati is a free agent next year that the front office is going to engage in a battle with other clubs to sign him. Iupati is a very good blocking guard when it comes to run blocking, but his pass protection is not that of a top 10 guard, in my opinion.

I seem to remember that when Iupati was injured last season we did not experience a major drop off. Please feel free to prove me otherwise, I am just going off of memory here.

So, if the front office thought that someone could fill in for Iupati enough that trading him would not hinder the o-line, then I would be okay with it.

I just don't think we are going to give him away for nothing. I think the front office would have to have an offer of a 1st round pick this year plus future picks to trade him. I just don't see it happening.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I wouldn't want to trade Iupati right now unless some team just made an offer that our front office couldn't refuse. But, with that said, I don't think when Iupati is a free agent next year that the front office is going to engage in a battle with other clubs to sign him. Iupati is a very good blocking guard when it comes to run blocking, but his pass protection is not that of a top 10 guard, in my opinion.

I seem to remember that when Iupati was injured last season we did not experience a major drop off. Please feel free to prove me otherwise, I am just going off of memory here.

So, if the front office thought that someone could fill in for Iupati enough that trading him would not hinder the o-line, then I would be okay with it.

I just don't think we are going to give him away for nothing. I think the front office would have to have an offer of a 1st round pick this year plus future picks to trade him. I just don't see it happening.

Yeah Iupati is a good player, but a little overrated. His pass protection isn't the greatest.
Don't bogart that stuff...pass it on
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Garbage thread...Iupati is a guard that comes around every other decade...,why would you trade that kind of player??

Hate to say it, but he's gonna be gone after next season possibly, he's been injured a lot/slowed down a little since 2012, horrible pass-blocker. Harbaugh has a fit-mind for finding the right offensive linemen, and I think it's time we get a quality pass-blocker on that right side (since Kap can't throw to his left).
Share 49ersWebzone