LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Who's Your Under The Radar Prospect?

Please state position and a little insight

Brent Urban 6'7 295 Lbs DE
Projected: 3rd

He had 11.5 tackles for loss despite missing four games with a high ankle sprain. He also had nine pass breakups, which is a pretty damn impressive number for a lineman in a shortened season.
Lacks pass rush skills but a great run stuffer

Yawin Smallwood 6'3 236 Lbs LB
Projected: 3rd
Yawin hasn't had eye poping plays nor stats but has great sideline to sideline range and instincts racking up 118 tackles last year

Troy Niklas 6'6", 270 Lbs TE
Projected: 4th

Is extremely muscular and a coordinated blocker. Mainly used as a blocker at Notre Dame he never had a chance to raise his draft stock with receiving stat. This guy screams 9er

Jay Bromley 6'3 280 Lbs DT

Has a quick first step and has rare pass rush ability for a DT. Is a natural leader and brings intensity to his teammates.

David Fluellen 5'10 215 Lbs RB

Injured for most of his college career he never made the spotlight despite having big numbers; in 2012 Fluellen put up 1,498 yards and 13 scores while catching 32 passes for 246 yards. 2013 he improved his YPC average from 5.8 to 6.7.
Niklas is one of the top TEs in the draft, and seemingly a solid 2nd rounder (could be pushed to the 3rd only because of the overall depth of this draft). Very nice prospect, but I'm not sure how under the radar he is. I like Bromley a lot and definitely think he's going to be a steal as a 3-technique DT.

Here's my top 3

1.) Jeremy Gallon, WR - Michigan (5'7", 185, 4.49)
Little guy (shortest WR at the combine), but tough as nails and has bigger hands than much taller guys like Brandon Coleman (tallest WR at the combine), Donte Moncrief, Davante Adams, Jeff Janis, LDamian Washington, Allen Hurns and Devin Street. Perfect slot WR type with some special teams skills as well.

2.) Terrance Mitchell, CB - Oregon (5'11", 192, 4.61)
Didn't turn in a good 40 time at the combine, but he did place 2nd in both drills that measured short-area explosion (6.57 in the 3-cone drill, 4.00 in the short shuttle). Though a possible liability on the outside, he could be an excellent mid-round pick as a nickel corner, with the size and quickness to smother slot WRs.

3.) Larry Webster, DE/OLB - Bloomsburg (6'5+", 252, 4.58)
Former basketball player and outstanding athlete who put up combine numbers across the board that weren't that far off from Jadeveon Clowney. Now, he's nowhere near the football player that Clowney is at this stage (and likely never will be) and he definitely needs to hit the weight room and get much stronger. However, he's got a lot of tools to work with and (if everything aligned properly) could be developed over time into an Aldon Smith-type of edge rusher.
^Damn good stuff made this thread worth while
Ooh, can I play?

1. Ryan Grant-WR-Tulane-6'0",199. Had a lousy Combine performance, slow, unathletic...etc...etc. This guy catches EVERYTHING thrown his way, he was consistent and tremendously productive, a great redzone threat with the ability to get separation quickly, made some huge plays down the stretch. Outstanding combination of hands, route running ability and on-field awareness, all at the elite level. He'll get overlooked because he's not the fastest guy running in his underwear but he's a legit NFL quality receiver prospect. I can see him going on to have a good career in spite of his 40 time.

2. Ricardo Allen-CB-Purdue-5'9", 190. Another guy with less than stellar Combine numbers but he's a true gamer, a miniature Richard Sherman, plays very smart, very aggressively, loves to talk trash but consistently backed up it up. An ideal slot corner type who will get drafted lower than I believe he rightfully should be. A feisty competitor that takes his craft seriously and attacks the football in the air, going after interceptions aggressively.

3. Beau Allen-DT-Wisconsin-6'2", 335. Very underrated DT prospect, smart guy, tremendous against the run, decent quickness for his size, relatively quick feet, not much pass rush ability and could stand to drop 10 to 15 pounds to improve his endurance but a nice NT prospect for the 49ers system.
On WZ and in the media, Marquise is getting no love. But this guy can play.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
On WZ and in the media, Marquise is getting no love. But this guy can play.

I don't think you can consider a guy who is considered to be a likely 1st rounder to be "under the radar" at any point in time.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't think you can consider a guy who is considered to be a likely 1st rounder to be "under the radar" at any point in time.

Depends on your definition of flying under the radar. To me it means a lack of hype and doubts as to ones abilities. In Lee's case his speed and health.

IMHO, he's under the radar, because he never gets mentioned on this site as a viable option to pick at #30, trade up and pick or use as a deep threat. In addition, he has not been mentioned on major media sites as a guy who is moving up in the draft.

"NFL media analyst Charles Davis, who considers Lee to be among the most overlooked players available this spring..."
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Depends on your definition of flying under the radar. To me it means a lack of hype and doubts as to ones abilities. In Lee's case his speed and health.

IMHO, he's under the radar, because he never gets mentioned on this site as a viable option to pick at #30, trade up and pick or use as a deep threat. In addition, he has not been mentioned on major media sites as a guy who is moving up in the draft.

"NFL media analyst Charles Davis, who considers Lee to be among the most overlooked players available this spring..."

Plenty of people on this site favor drafting Lee. I think he's an actually viable option for the 49ers to draft or trade up for compared to Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins.
Devin Street-WR-Pitt-6'3, 198. All time leader in receptions at Pitt. Has great hands and uses his height well to snag balls at highest point possible. Height and 37 inch vertical help. A QBs best friend in that you can air it out and have confidence that it wont be picked. Not the fastest guy, but shows good athleticism. 4 second shuttle and over 10 ft broad jump. Played on the inside and outside in college. Runs great routes and has quick feet. Very smooth.

Philip Gaines-CB-Rice-6'0, 193. All the physical tools. Sub 4,4 speed. 36 inch vertical, over 10 foot broad jump, and solid height. Absolute ball hawk. 35 passes defended over the last two years. Was second in the nation in passes defended in 2012. Is very lean and has quick hips, so he can turn around and sprint very quickly. Not the best in run support. Probably doesn't have the frame to add much more mass. But he is tough and a hardworker. Should be able to be coached up.

Kevin Norwood-WR-Alabama-6'2, 198. Surprised some with athleticism at the combine. 4.48 speed. Over 10 foot broadjump. Very good route runner. Projects very well as a slot receiver. I dont think he will be much more than a #3 WR, but he is very good over the middle. Not afraid of the big hit. Shows good hands. Understands how to get open, especially when the route breaks down or the QB scrambles. First receiver looked at when the play breaks down. Good character guy.

Storm Johnson-RB-UCF-6'0-209. I've seen him projected in the 6th round on a few sites. He is a Miami transfer. 4 star recruit out of HS. Storm isn't dynamic or creative, but he can pound the rock. Understands how to hit the gap. Strong, churning legs. Good stiff arm. Gets downhill quickly and is tough to bring down. Need much more than an arm tackle. Moves the pile. His biggest problem is fumbling, That could get him on the bench really quick, but when the ball is actually in his hands he's one of the best and projects well to the next level.
Robert Herron,Phillip Gaines,Allen Hurns

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Brett Smith had a good pro day today. Ran around a 4.5 40 yard dash. Broad-jump of 10'8". Measured in at nearly 6'2" and has 10-inch hands. Here is a video of all his throws from today.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Plenty of people on this site favor drafting Lee. I think he's an actually viable option for the 49ers to draft or trade up for compared to Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins.

Could've fooled me, I see no threads mentioning Marquise Lee in the last few days.
[ Edited by Garlicboy on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM ]
Not sure if Phillip Gaines is under the radar in this forum, and he definitely opened up some eyes at the combine.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Brett Smith had a good pro day today. Ran around a 4.5 40 yard dash. Broad-jump of 10'8". Measured in at nearly 6'2" and has 10-inch hands. Here is a video of all his throws from today.

This is my favorite mid round QB prospect. Would love to see him learn under Harbaugh. Reminds me of a Alex Smith/Johnny Manziel mix.

Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue - read Phoenix's explanation, he nailed it.

Eric Thomas, WR, Troy - late round slot receiver. 6'1, 209, good route runner who gets in and out of breaks quickly. Good hands, while not a burned, he is elusive. 2013 Sun Belt 1st Team. He broke T.Y. Hilton's Sun Belt record for career TD receptions.
Edit: I'll post videos of Thomas when I'm not on mobile and get off work.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Mar 14, 2014 at 8:04 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Now that´s a thread me like I´ve got a whole bag of players. Let me start with two WR.

Michael Campanaro WR 5´9" 192 Wake Forest

T.J. Jones WR 6´0" 188 Notre Dame

[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone