There are 162 users in the forums

#1 CB is top priority. Who are your top 5 and why?

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd recommend you check your lists for arm lengths...Baalke's on a mission to find longer armed secondary players. If they don't have @ 33" arms, he more than likely won't take them. Based on that, here's my list:

Justin Gilbert, 33 1/8" arms
Kyle Fuller, 32 7/8" arms
Keith McGill, 33 1/8" arms
Pierre Desir, 33 " arms
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, 32 3/8" arms

Not buying what you are selling. He may prefer longer armed players, but I doubt he is passing on someone if they represent good to great value and they don't fit his arm length requirement. There is also no basis to believe he would pass up on a player who represents value because his arms were 32 1/4".
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Not buying what you are selling. He may prefer longer armed players, but I doubt he is passing on someone if they represent good to great value and they don't fit his arm length requirement. There is also no basis to believe he would pass up on a player who represents value because his arms were 32 1/4".

Its absolute nonsense that he's peddling. Chris Culliver...arm length-31 1/4"
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
Don't buy the premise that CB is our biggest need. Best Player Available at 30 unless baalke targets someone and trades up. WR, CB, DL, safety - the great thing is we really can take BPA.

Agree with this. But I'd rather us move up in the first to target a receiver. We don't need a repeat of last offseason, we all saw how god awful our passing game was for the majority of the season. Even after Crabtree came back, the passing attack was better; but not good enough. We need speed on the outside. That would help not only Boldin and Crabtree work the intermediate, it helps Vernon get deep also by Cooks or whoever we pick by taking a safety with them. A speedy wideout helps the entire offense, passing and run game.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd recommend you check your lists for arm lengths...Baalke's on a mission to find longer armed secondary players. If they don't have @ 33" arms, he more than likely won't take them. Based on that, here's my list:

Justin Gilbert, 33 1/8" arms
Kyle Fuller, 32 7/8" arms
Keith McGill, 33 1/8" arms
Pierre Desir, 33 " arms
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, 32 3/8" arms
Yup and height...has to be 6'1'+
On a serious note, I wonder if we plan on playing more press next year esp. to start the year given Bethea will still be learning out complex coverage schemes.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Gilbert
Cooks
Skov

boomed solved

That works for me but doubt we'll have a shot at Gilbert. We value our picks too much too trade up into the top 10 and there is no way he makes it past the Lions at 10 in my opinion. Top 15 is more likely but I doubt Gilbert will still be there. He'd be a great return guy too and could essentially match up against any WR in the league with his size and speed. Add in the kick return ability, good hands for making the picks and the ability to score on defense. Combined with our pass rush, he would be in position to capitalize on rushed throws and score on defense. Would love it, but I don't feel he's a lock down corner but more of a solid starter that makes big plays.
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM ]
Alot of people have gilbert dropping what red flags are causing this?
CB is NOT the biggest need 49ers are a Crabtree injury away from being that offense we all remember

Also, Crabtree is a free agent after the year we need insurance
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

No real red flags, he just got way over-hyped after the Combine. I know some will disagree but I'm not sold on him as a #1 CB, or even the top CB in this draft(Dennard).
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No real red flags, he just got way over-hyped after the Combine. I know some will disagree but I'm not sold on him as a #1 CB, or even the top CB in this draft(Dennard).

I think Gilbert is overhyped because of his return skills. You draft a CB early to play defense, not because he can play ST. Good corner, but I think he's overrated.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

What people?

1. Gilbert (But not worth top 10, 15-20 more like it)
2. Dennard
3. Verrett
4. Fuller
5. Roby

I'd be happy with any of these guys but at 30 Verrett is by far my #1 choice. If we have to trade up a few spots for him I'd be fine too. Depending on what it takes I'd be ok with trading up say 15 spots for Dennard or Gilbert (although not likely available). I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd and change. I'd rather just use like a 4th to trade up 5 or so spots to get Verrett. Fuller is my 2nd choice at 30. Roby I'd rather we trade down a few spots and pick up an extra pick for next year then draft him at 35-40 or so.
Originally posted by strickac:
I think Gilbert is overhyped because of his return skills. You draft a CB early to play defense, not because he can play ST. Good corner, but I think he's overrated.

reminds me of Cromartie a little. He gives up a lot of short completions too. Hyped up because of big plays and return ability.
Verrett - undersized, but does most everything else as good or better than every corner in the draft
Gilbert - Athletic and has a high ceiling. However, is not present in run support and is unpolished in coverage. High bust prospect imo
Fuller - Good in coverage and had good physical traits. But, he struggles in zone and has injury concerns. Ball skills are questionable
Dennard - Great man to man corner and has acceptable size and athleticism. Arms are a little short, not a lot of work in zone coverage, and does have some tendencies (namely holding receivers) that concern me.
Roby - Very athletic and has had some good moments. However, he has struggled in coverage at times and is not worth a round one investment. Like Gilbert, he has a lot of work to do if he wants to become an elite corner
Originally posted by NTeply49:

reminds me of Cromartie a little. He gives up a lot of short completions too. Hyped up because of big plays and return ability.
Originally posted by NTeply49:

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him. He has better athleticism than the rest of the group, Roby included. He'll be playmaker, but I have concerns. In a defense that generates a lot of pressure and allows him to freelance, he'll be a Pro Bowler. There's a lot to like there. I see him mocked in the top 10 and I think he's more of a 15-20 guy. With the new rookie wages now in check, I guess that's not a huge financial difference anymore.

If he fell to is, I wouldn't complain at all.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Gilbert
Dennard
Fuller
Varrett
Roby
Share 49ersWebzone