There are 185 users in the forums

#1 CB is top priority. Who are your top 5 and why?

Originally posted by Quest4six:
That isn't a premise, its a fact.
I love Brock and Cully, but if they are your starters with Wright as a backup there is a SERIOUS hole there. As stated before on this thread Cully isn't even proven, and Brock has started to play well as of late.
If we don't sign Chris Cook by the end of this week, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade up to take Gilbert.
The WR draft class is deep enough that not much talent is lost from round 1 to round 2, the DB class on the other hand...

Chris Cook the guy that got burned on a regular basis has never intercepted an NFL ball? bbut surrenders close to 1 TD per game? What Happens when the Niners play AZ and he has to play opposite L Fitzgerald? Mt Fitz will have CAREER games against the Niners.
With the depth at both CB and WR this year i wouldnt be suprised if we traded #30 to someone for another 2nd round pick next year. We still would have two 2nd rounders and three 3rd rounders.
With the depth at both CB and WR this year i wouldnt be suprised if we traded #30 to someone for another 2nd round pick next year. We still would have two 2nd rounders and three 3rd rounders.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
CB is more of a priority because we have 2 solid wide outs at the moment. Brock is our only starting calibur corner at the moment and we dont know how well culliver will recover.

With 11 picks and a comp pick or two coming the 49ers have plenty of ammo to draft a couple of players at both positions. It doesn't hurt that both positions are the 2 deepest positions in the draft either.
Originally posted by Jd925:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
CORNERBACKS

01. JUSTIN GILBERT ----------------------- OKLAHOMA ST ------------ 6'0 -- 200 {1st rd}
02. DARQUEZE DENNARD ------------- MICHIGAN ST -------------- 5'11 -- 197 {1st rd}
03. JASON VERRETT --------------------- TCU ---------------------------- 5'10 -- 190 {1st rd}
04. KYLE FULLER -------------------------- VIRGINIA TECH ------------- 6'0 -- 194 {1st rd}
05. PHILLIP GAINES ----------------------- RICE ---------------------------- 6'0 -- 193 {2nd rd}
06. JAYLEN WATKINS -------------------- FLORIDA ---------------------- 6'0 -- 194 {2nd rd}
07. EJ GAINES ------------------------------ MISSOURI -------------------- 5'10 -- 195 {2nd rd}

My top 7... why? cuz they is teh bestest.

Nice list, I'm sure one will be wearing the red and gold.

No Roby???

Yeah Roby should be there.... I really like Jean-Baptiste in the 2nd round... I like Andre Hal from Vandy in the mid rounds (probably around the 5th) and Colvin is intriguing at around 5th - 7th round. I liked seeing Colvin's highlights, but his production was really low in 2013 for some reason....

Roby was the next up behind Gaines...

08. BRADLEY ROBY* ------------------------ OHIO ST ----------------- 5'11 -- 190 {2nd rd}
09. LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY* ------------------- FLORIDA ------------------ 6'0 -- 190 {2nd rd}
10. STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE ------------ NEBRASKA --------------- 6'2 -- 215 {3rd rd}
11. VICTOR HAMPTON* --------------------- S. CAROLINA ----------- 5'10 -- 202 {3rd rd}
12. BASHAUD BREELAND* ----------------- CLEMSON ---------------- 6'0 -- 185 {3rd rd}
13. MARCUS ROBERSON* ----------------- FLORIDA ------------------ 6'0 -- 195 {3rd rd}
14. PIERRE DESIR --------------------------- LINDENWOOD ----------- 6'1 -- 195 {4th rd}
15. CHRIS DAVIS ------------------------------ AUBURN ------------------ 5'10 -- 200 {4th rd}
I'd recommend you check your lists for arm lengths...Baalke's on a mission to find longer armed secondary players. If they don't have @ 33" arms, he more than likely won't take them. Based on that, here's my list:

Justin Gilbert, 33 1/8" arms
Kyle Fuller, 32 7/8" arms
Keith McGill, 33 1/8" arms
Pierre Desir, 33 " arms
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, 32 3/8" arms
Originally posted by WildBill:
You should read your own post...Cully is not a guarentee and wright, if he was any good, wouldn't have going in and out of the 9ers roster. Morris hasn't proved anything yet. So we are shakey. WR is more stable, You think anyone we draft is going to unseat Boldin and Crabs, not likely. Then there is Patton who will be further developed.

One thing our scouts know is CB, not so good on wr. So why waste a high pick unless on a wr unless its watkins.

My thoughts as well. Consider we cut Rogers, who I consider solid starter(I've never joined the hate bandwagon on him), to save some money. I can live with that move IF we make a major move on draft day to get a TOP corner. Not left overs. I understand this is a deep draft for corners but I hope if the 49ers believe they have a home run type corner in this draft, to go and get him.
Roby is high on my board, a top pick a year ago who has fallen. Can anyone show me another game besides Roby against Abbrederis where he didn't do well? Nobody ever mentions how Roby shut down Allen Robinson...

1. Dennard- Short arms, plenty of instinct
2. Verrett- Speed/playmaking ability, lacks size
3. Roby- Speed/playmaking ability, lacks consistency
4. Gilbert- Lacks technique, raw athlete
5. Fuller- Injury history
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:57 AM ]
Trade up for gilbert. He have the ammo to do so, but we can get a DB in the 2nd rd and ease him in
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
WHY would we let Seattle draft a WR before us?????? CBs are deep in this draft be smart SF!!!!!!

Terrible logic. Whether the 49ers do or don't draft a WR, that still doesn't stop Seattle from drafting a WR, its not like there is a consensus #1 guy expected to be drafted in that range anyways.

Here are my top 5 which should be available at the end of round 1 without a trade up:

Jason Verrett TCU
Kyle Fuller Va Tech
Bradley Roby Ohio St.
Marcus Roberson Florida
Jaylen Watkins Flordia

On the Bubble
LaMarcus Joyner Florida St.

Would love the Niners to go up and get Darqueze Dennard personally, but Verrett and Fuller would be my pick if they didn't move up.
If we stick at #30 and if we go corner - It'll probably be either Verrett or Fuller
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I think WR is our TOP Priority.

We have:
T-Brock (starter)
Cully (Could start if healthy)
Wright (could start, solid NB)
Morris (Good ST player and DimeBack)

maybe a guy like Jean-Baptiste in the 2nd would be nice., Good size

^^^This
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Gilbert is the best but he will be long gone.

I expect this to be the case too, but some are not so sure. I have a strong feeling that if Gilbert gets anywhere near the 15-range, we are going to try very hard to move up and snag him. He fits virtually every single item on the "Baalke-guy/49ers-type" checklist.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Chris Cook, who started 11 games in 2013, surrendered nine touchdowns, tied for worst in the league. (USATI)

Does not even have 1 interception in 3 years...
Share 49ersWebzone