LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

#1 CB is top priority. Who are your top 5 and why?

Originally posted by Kezar1965:
Don't buy the premise that CB is our biggest need. Best Player Available at 30 unless baalke targets someone and trades up. WR, CB, DL, safety - the great thing is we really can take BPA.

That isn't a premise, its a fact.
I love Brock and Cully, but if they are your starters with Wright as a backup there is a SERIOUS hole there. As stated before on this thread Cully isn't even proven, and Brock has started to play well as of late.
If we don't sign Chris Cook by the end of this week, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade up to take Gilbert.
The WR draft class is deep enough that not much talent is lost from round 1 to round 2, the DB class on the other hand...
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
CORNERBACKS

01. JUSTIN GILBERT ----------------------- OKLAHOMA ST ------------ 6'0 -- 200 {1st rd}
02. DARQUEZE DENNARD ------------- MICHIGAN ST -------------- 5'11 -- 197 {1st rd}
03. JASON VERRETT --------------------- TCU ---------------------------- 5'10 -- 190 {1st rd}
04. KYLE FULLER -------------------------- VIRGINIA TECH ------------- 6'0 -- 194 {1st rd}
05. PHILLIP GAINES ----------------------- RICE ---------------------------- 6'0 -- 193 {2nd rd}
06. JAYLEN WATKINS -------------------- FLORIDA ---------------------- 6'0 -- 194 {2nd rd}
07. EJ GAINES ------------------------------ MISSOURI -------------------- 5'10 -- 195 {2nd rd}

My top 7... why? cuz they is teh bestest.

Nice list, I'm sure one will be wearing the red and gold.

No Roby???
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
Don't buy the premise that CB is our biggest need. Best Player Available at 30 unless baalke targets someone and trades up. WR, CB, DL, safety - the great thing is we really can take BPA.

Agree with 12/13 picks we have options to move up if we desire imo WR/CB & the team to look for heading to the draft to Move up possibility are the Ravens #17 who have ONLY 4 picks in the draft

As much as Baalke preeches BPA, the niners have pretty much drafted a player of need also with their high picks except 2012 when they took LMJ. 2010-we needed OL and he drafted them, 2011 rush LB and QB-got them also. 2013-safety and DL got them.

We don't NEED a TE, QB, OL, DL RB OLB, although they may get picked in the later rounds, So that leaves CB, WR, and ILB.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
No Roby???

Got burned by some of the wr coming out in this draft. I have no basis for it, but I get the vibe Mike Rumph from him.
Originally posted by WildBill:
As much as Baalke preeches BPA, the niners have pretty much drafted a player of need also with their high picks except 2012 when they took LMJ. 2010-we needed OL and he drafted them, 2011 rush LB and QB-got them also. 2013-safety and DL got them.

We don't NEED a TE, QB, OL, DL RB OLB, although they may get picked in the later rounds, So that leaves CB, WR, and ILB.

Gilbert
Cooks
Skov

boomed solved
A lot of people have a hard on for the Sherman type CB. Sherman is the exception, not the rule. Just draft the best corner the FO deems the best fit for our scheme whether he's 5'10 or 6'3. Enough of this, "we need a DB with Sherman's size!" It's BS. If the kid can play, line him up.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
A lot of people have a hard on for the Sherman type CB. Sherman is the exception, not the rule. Just draft the best corner the FO deems the best fit for our scheme whether he's 5'10 or 6'3. Enough of this, "we need a DB with Sherman's size!" It's BS. If the kid can play, line him up.

I've seen this before also and I always laugh.
Does anybody remember Peterson running over Sherman this year?
Our corners have to be physical, strong and stop the run. Sherman's "size" clearly doesn't help him with the run.
  • cools
  • Veteran
My mock has us taking J.Watkins, Florida with our 3rd pick in the draft (60th i think)
then i have us taking T.Brooks, Florida St. with the next pick, who i think can be the perfect nickle back for us, part FS part CB,
late in the draft we package some 7th's to move back into the sixth and take A.Colvin, Okla, Red shirt him till 2015

Those are my guys, not the top tier, but i like em
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Our corners have to be physical, strong and stop the run. Sherman's "size" clearly doesn't help him with the run.
Totally agree and what about McDonald LOL
Originally posted by Quest4six:

I don't think much of Sherman. While everyone cheats a little, his is so blatantly obvious and I bet if he were playing for the niners, we would have been penalized a lot. He is just lucky that he doesn't get caught or that the refs are turning a blind eye.

• Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
Chris Cook, who started 11 games in 2013, surrendered nine touchdowns, tied for worst in the league. (USATI)

Man I wasn't impressed when I heard the 49ers were looking at him, but that's like really really bad...
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
CORNERBACKS

01. JUSTIN GILBERT ----------------------- OKLAHOMA ST ------------ 6'0 -- 200 {1st rd}
02. DARQUEZE DENNARD ------------- MICHIGAN ST -------------- 5'11 -- 197 {1st rd}
03. JASON VERRETT --------------------- TCU ---------------------------- 5'10 -- 190 {1st rd}
04. KYLE FULLER -------------------------- VIRGINIA TECH ------------- 6'0 -- 194 {1st rd}
05. PHILLIP GAINES ----------------------- RICE ---------------------------- 6'0 -- 193 {2nd rd}
06. JAYLEN WATKINS -------------------- FLORIDA ---------------------- 6'0 -- 194 {2nd rd}
07. EJ GAINES ------------------------------ MISSOURI -------------------- 5'10 -- 195 {2nd rd}

My top 7... why? cuz they is teh bestest.

Nice list, I'm sure one will be wearing the red and gold.

No Roby???

Yeah Roby should be there.... I really like Jean-Baptiste in the 2nd round... I like Andre Hal from Vandy in the mid rounds (probably around the 5th) and Colvin is intriguing at around 5th - 7th round. I liked seeing Colvin's highlights, but his production was really low in 2013 for some reason....
  • tjace
  • Veteran
Top 4 - Talent alone

Gilbert - Reminds me of Patrick Peterson. Smooth and quick.
Fuller - Great in both coverage and run support. High motor. Injury prone. Could see him at the FS position also.
Verrett - Sure tackler for the CB position. Great in coverage.
Dennard - Of the 4, best press corner. Rated low because he's a grabber and I don't see that panning out against pro WRs

Overrated
Roby - Watch what Abbrederis did to him all game. 2013 was not a good year for him.
Jean-Baptise - What does this guy do with his size? Stand around and ankle tackle people.

Sleeper
Hampton - Great in coverage and run support. Not too fast but his technique makes up for it. Just has little character issues. Early Day 3 pick.
WHY would we let Seattle draft a WR before us?????? CBs are deep in this draft be smart SF!!!!!!
Imo
CB is too deep this year to jump the gun we can get a quality starter in the 2nd rd
At #30 i think if M. Lee is there we take him, he will compete with Q. Patton for the #3 spot and also become our starter in 2 to 3yrs then we can take a receiver late say like Cody Hamilton or Martavious Bryant then we will have a future with Crabs, Lee, Patton, Hamilton or Bryant
I like K. Fuller in the 2nd and J. Watkins or K. McGill in the later rnds if available
Share 49ersWebzone