LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

#1 CB is top priority. Who are your top 5 and why?

It is apparent to me that the number one priority of the draft is finding a pro bowl quality starting cornerback. Our current best corner is Brock and he is fast but undersized. Even though we typically keep our cbs on the same side all game, i feel it would be more efficient to pair him with a larger cornderback who could line up with the bigger receivers for those jump ball fades in the redzone that are becoming popular. Heck we tried to win the super bowl that way ourselves and then again tried to get back to one the same way. That being said, here are 5 corners I feel we should target this tearj
My tablet is skrewing up and cant finish post. My other CB I'm watching is McGill, Roby, Verret although he is undersizedWatkins, Aikens, and Fuller

1. Justing Gilbert has tremendous speed, leaping ability, and prototypical size. He had 7 picks last year, and is a threat to score everytime he gets his hands on the ball. He also excells as a return guy, and I feel he would improve our defense and score points for our defense. A little raw on his coverage skills, but still my favorite corner in the draft and feel he is one of two players I would trade up into the top 15 this year for.

2. Darqueze Denard is my 2nd favorite corner and feel he would be worth possibly moving up into the 19 to 25 range. A little undersized and not as fast as i would like, but he has a nose for the football and is a playmaker. Is better suited as a press corner and we play a lot of off man though. Reminds me of Tyran Matieu the honey badger from LSU.
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM ]
Gilbert is the best but he will be long gone.
CORNERBACKS

01. JUSTIN GILBERT ----------------------- OKLAHOMA ST ------------ 6'0 -- 200 {1st rd}
02. DARQUEZE DENNARD ------------- MICHIGAN ST -------------- 5'11 -- 197 {1st rd}
03. JASON VERRETT --------------------- TCU ---------------------------- 5'10 -- 190 {1st rd}
04. KYLE FULLER -------------------------- VIRGINIA TECH ------------- 6'0 -- 194 {1st rd}
05. PHILLIP GAINES ----------------------- RICE ---------------------------- 6'0 -- 193 {2nd rd}
06. JAYLEN WATKINS -------------------- FLORIDA ---------------------- 6'0 -- 194 {2nd rd}
07. EJ GAINES ------------------------------ MISSOURI -------------------- 5'10 -- 195 {2nd rd}

My top 7... why? cuz they is teh bestest.
This CB draft class is deep this year. Add to your list McGill, Roby and Jean-Baptiste.
I think WR is our TOP Priority.

We have:
T-Brock (starter)
Cully (Could start if healthy)
Wright (could start, solid NB)
Morris (Good ST player and DimeBack)

maybe a guy like Jean-Baptiste in the 2nd would be nice., Good size
Chris Cook coming in for a visit
CB is more of a priority because we have 2 solid wide outs at the moment. Brock is our only starting calibur corner at the moment and we dont know how well culliver will recover.
Gilbert will be gone. I dont like trading up for corners. Fuller/Roby/Verrett/Denard are possibly targets early.

I think you can get Philip Gaines in the 4th. He's awesome. Purifoy looks really good on film too. Could also take a flier on Colvin.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
CORNERBACKS

01. JUSTIN GILBERT ----------------------- OKLAHOMA ST ------------ 6'0 -- 200 {1st rd}
02. DARQUEZE DENNARD ------------- MICHIGAN ST -------------- 5'11 -- 197 {1st rd}
03. JASON VERRETT --------------------- TCU ---------------------------- 5'10 -- 190 {1st rd}
04. KYLE FULLER -------------------------- VIRGINIA TECH ------------- 6'0 -- 194 {1st rd}
05. PHILLIP GAINES ----------------------- RICE ---------------------------- 6'0 -- 193 {2nd rd}
06. JAYLEN WATKINS -------------------- FLORIDA ---------------------- 6'0 -- 194 {2nd rd}
07. EJ GAINES ------------------------------ MISSOURI -------------------- 5'10 -- 195 {2nd rd}

Nice list, I'm sure one will be wearing the red and gold.
Chris cook has prototypical size...would be good value for a fair price

Don't buy the premise that CB is our biggest need. Best Player Available at 30 unless baalke targets someone and trades up. WR, CB, DL, safety - the great thing is we really can take BPA.
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
Don't buy the premise that CB is our biggest need. Best Player Available at 30 unless baalke targets someone and trades up. WR, CB, DL, safety - the great thing is we really can take BPA.

Agree with 12/13 picks we have options to move up if we desire imo WR/CB & the team to look for heading to the draft to Move up possibility are the Ravens #17 who have ONLY 4 picks in the draft
Chris Cook, who started 11 games in 2013, surrendered nine touchdowns, tied for worst in the league. (USATI)
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I think WR is our TOP Priority.

We have:
T-Brock (starter)
Cully (Could start if healthy)
Wright (could start, solid NB)
Morris (Good ST player and DimeBack)

maybe a guy like Jean-Baptiste in the 2nd would be nice., Good size

You should read your own post...Cully is not a guarentee and wright, if he was any good, wouldn't have going in and out of the 9ers roster. Morris hasn't proved anything yet. So we are shakey. WR is more stable, You think anyone we draft is going to unseat Boldin and Crabs, not likely. Then there is Patton who will be further developed.

One thing our scouts know is CB, not so good on wr. So why waste a high pick unless on a wr unless its watkins.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
CORNERBACKS

Nice names, but not all fit the niners style of play. So perhaps one might whittle down the list.
Share 49ersWebzone