There are 218 users in the forums

49ers Lack A True Slot WR

Crabs on one side, Anquan on the other with VD slashing the seams and exploiting mismatches. No worries there! What we do lack is a true slot WR. A player with very reliable hands who has jitterbug quickness and can gain separation in small spaces.

Remember the 2011 NFC Championship game against the Giants? Remember Victor Cruz bending Carlos Rogers over in the 1st half? This is one example of how effective a slot WR can be. He's the "safety valve" and can become a QB's best friend when the pocket collapses.

For me, it's all about being balanced with legitimate threats at every skill position. I used to hate seeing Kyle Williams trot out onto the field because I knew he had no chance of getting the ball. If you've noticed, Kaep goes to his playmakers and we need one in the slot.

I believe the 49ers drafted LaMichael James with hopes that he developed into a "Darren Sproles type" of player. Like Sproles, James would not have been a true slot WR, but a RB who could catch the ball out of the backfield. So far, James has been a disappointment as he hardly sees the field on offense.

Patton has shown promise, but I'm not convinced he can operate effectively as a slot WR.

Slot's are usually small, which works to their advantage. Smaller players are quicker in small spaces. Which players do you think can become successful slot WR's in the NFL? Cooks? Beckham? Ellington? Please chime in.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:10 PM ]
Captain Obvious ? I think we grab Moncrief and Herron. Herron will be the slot. Moncrief might be developed for after Boldin and Crabs are gone
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Captain Obvious ? I think we grab Moncrief and Herron. Herron will be the slot. Moncrief might be developed for after Boldin and Crabs are gone

Maybe, but whether its addressed or not is anyones guess. Remember, Baalke typically doesn't draft smaller guys, but quick, small players are most effective in the slot in my opinion.
Cooks looks like hed almost exclusively be a slot receiver to me. Kaepernick needs big Targets and I think if we got a big outside deep threat that boldin and crabtree can both operate out of the slot effectively
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Maybe, but whether its addressed or not is anyones guess. Remember, Baalke typically doesn't draft smaller guys, but quick, small players are most effective in the slot in my opinion.

Jenkins, James ? Patton is not that big either.

Look for the Niners to get speed on the outside. Boldin is most effective in the slot. Crabtree and Boldin in 2 WR sets + Crabtree, Boldin and for example Moncrief/Bryant/Underwood in 3 WR sets.
There's already a 100 WR threads. Do we really need this one also?

Isn't this the same thread? http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/177153-suggestions-for-slot-receiver/
Originally posted by DeUh:

Look for the Niners to get speed on the outside. Boldin is most effective in the slot. Crabtree and Boldin in 2 WR sets + Crabtree, Boldin and for example Moncrief/Bryant/Underwood in 3 WR sets.

who is Underwood?
Originally posted by kronik:
Iagree Moncreif and Herron would be Nice and both have speed to take the top off of defenses,Bruce Ellington would fit the slot also...I love me some Moncreif,what would be really nice is Beckham and Moncreif , whooh wee just sick speed and Hands.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Boldin can be the slot WR.
What we need is, a tall, fast, deep threat opposite Crabtree.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by DeUh:

who is Underwood?

Was just throwing names out there. He played for the Bucs last season. I made a thread of him in the Free Agency section if you want to look him up.

Cooks!!
Jordan Matthews played alot of slot WR at Vandy. Norwood projects well. Huff from Oregon. The small, quick guys are Cooks, Beckham, Herron, Ellington.
enter steve smith lol
sorry, we'll save tht for the FA forum. slot guy? cooks is the ideal or even beckham, im really liking Moncrief though
[ Edited by martysofresh on Mar 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM ]
triple post..
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM ]
triple post..
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone