LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

2 Needs and 11 picks, who do they trade up for CB, WR, etc?

2 Needs and 11 picks, who do they trade up for CB, WR, etc?

I would say 3 needs in terms of starters or guys with significant playing time.

CB, WR, C

We need depth and possibly a future starter at

S, DE, LB

We need depth and competition at

QB, TE
Originally posted by 9erred:
I would like Baalke to package picks and move into round 1. This way both players have 4 year contracts with an option to go 5 years.

WR, CB, pretty simple in round 1. Fortunately there is a lot of talent at the bottom of round 1 for both positions.

Trade the KC pick, a 3rd and a 5th to the Pats and move into round 1.

Use the other second on another WR.

Use the third on a bac up qb.

I like this way of thinking although I doubt they spend a 3rd on a QB after acquiring Gabbert. I'd love to see both a CB & a WR in the 1st round then maybe another CB in the 3rd.
Corner
CB is the biggest need by far although the WZers always want a WR. We signed Boldin. We have Crabtree and Davis. We have enough weapons. Anything more is a big luxury but not needed. We have a big hole to fill at CB. We absolutely need to get a good one in this draft.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
CB is the biggest need by far although the WZers always want a WR. We signed Boldin. We have Crabtree and Davis. We have enough weapons. Anything more is a big luxury but not needed. We have a big hole to fill at CB. We absolutely need to get a good one in this draft.

i agree with this 100%. CB is a hole we need to fill in now than WR.
I don't think Dennard fits our system. Would rather trade up for Gilbert although I have a feeling, Fuller may be the class of the CB group. Moncrief for me with Dri Archer later on.
Have to draft late 1st rd. on best available rather than flat-out need or you're doomed to waste a pick. There will in all likelihood be more WR talent late 1st than CB talent.

We're better off filling the WR need and finding a stop-gap CB in FA. Get a couple guys and try to develop them as rooks but not to come in and immediately make a difference, because those guys just aren't in this particular draft.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I don't think Dennard fits our system. Would rather trade up for Gilbert although I have a feeling, Fuller may be the class of the CB group. Moncrief for me with Dri Archer later on.

I disagree with the notion that Dennard doesn't fit our system. I think he fits it rather well. I like Fuller as well, he would be my back up option.
I see more major needs than two, although the two you listed are the most glaring.

The team has no idea what it has at center and running back. Does the team have enough confidence that Lattimore will be more than a rotational back, and that the young interior lineman can take over for Goodwin, who is expected to not be back.

Is Carradine a player the team sees as a future starter, since Cowboy and McDonald are about finished? Is the team truly set at NT, or simply rotating bodies?

And, when will Bowman come back? If he misses 2014, the hole there is big. Will he come back the same player? Finally, is Iupati going to be with the team beyond this year?

The turnover in this league is gigantic, so the team has to hit on picks.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by 60sFan:

I disagree with the notion that Dennard doesn't fit our system. I think he fits it rather well. I like Fuller as well, he would be my back up option.

Maybe. Dennard is a man to man cover guy mostly. A little tighter in the hips. Not sure about his anticipatory skills in zone coverage. Didn't see enough of him. Gilbert and Fuller are more than adequate at both.

trade up from chiefs pick into late 1st round. Get 2 good players with the 5th year option on their contracts. Would be awesome. Cooks and 'Crief? Moncrief and Fuller? it's a real option at this point.
Except for the fact that our 3rd wrs see little to no action I'd tend to think a guy like Cooks could really step in our O day one and have the speed and strength to make an impact against the LOB.
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM ]
The only position I see us trading up for is at CB, this years draft is deep with WR and there isn't a steep drop off in terms of talent from round 1 to round 2 like there is with other positions.
I could see us trading our 1st with the Cowboys or Steelers and getting Gilbert at around that 15-16th spot. (I think we got Reid last year from the Cowboys at 18?)
Another guy i like who might be in our reach is Fuller from Virgina Tech.

Then grabbing somebody like Cooks or Robinson.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Except for the fact that our 3rd wrs see little to no action I'd tend to think a guy like Cooks could really step in our O day one and have the speed and strength to make an impact against the LOB.

That is Roman's fault. I did read an interview where he said an objective of his this year was to use Patton more in the offense, which I hope means implementing that 3rd WR more.
I agree, we missed that burner this year that we used to have in Moss. I'm not saying that Moss was a great player, but he still had that speed opposing defenses had to respect and he took up coverage.
If Cooks didn't catch a single pass this year, but whenever he was on he expanded opposing coverage, I'd be happy.
The draft isn't all about this year. With all the free agents next year we need to think ahead. Aldon, kap, crab, gore, iupati, culliver, hunter, Dorsey all free agents after the season. Pretty good chance they are all not back next season. So with that said is it worth trading up for 1 player when you can stay put still get a good wr and maybe draft iupati replacement in the second round?
Share 49ersWebzone