There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2 Needs and 11 picks, who do they trade up for CB, WR, etc?

2 Needs and 11 picks, who do they trade up for CB, WR, etc?

49ers now have only 2 big needs left: WR and CB
49ers also have 2 lesser needs: C, LB, DE (remember Tank Carridine, Quinton Dial and Lawrence Okoye are now healthy)

As much as I would love for the 49ers to sign a top notch CB, I think it's highly unlikely.

Starting Safety: Antoine Bethea

Back ups/Potential starter/Trade bait:
QB- Blaine Gabbert
G/T- Jonathon Martin
***49ers also resigned: K Dawson, Slot CB Wright, DE DeMarcus Dobbs, G/C Kilgore

Their first 5 picks in the top 100 can address the 5 needs above, and that would still leave them with 5 picks and 1 comp pick, that they can use to move up, draft injured players and/or trade for future picks.

Yes! The future is looking Bright in SF!
[ Edited by Garlicboy on Mar 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Receiver than corner.
I think if they trade up it's gonna be for a wideout. Let that be Mike Evans, Watkins (hopefully but a snowball's chance in hell) or Cooks. If they intend to select a corner first then I see them staying pat, using their picks to trade up in round 2 to grab some first round talent that's fallen.
I still like Marquise Lee. This years Keenan Allen. People forgot him because he didn't run a 4.3 and he was nicked up last year.
I would hope they trade up for both and get:

1st Justin Gilbert
2nd O'dell Beckham
Knowing baalke he will probably jump 5-10 spots to pick up someone like beckham, cook, or fuller and just add injured players and trade present picks for future picks with the rest.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
I would hope they trade up for both and get:

1st Justin Gilbert
2nd O'dell Beckham

I'd be down for that, except Gilbert likely goes no later than 12. Or we could stand pat and get Beckham in the first and trade up in the second for Fuller or Roby?
If Dennard falls to 19 trade up and pick him there if we can (we already pulled off one trade with Miami ). Then find a way to get Moncrief in round two and I would be thrilled.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:55 AM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
If Dennard falls to 19 trade up and pick him there if we can (we already pulled off one trade with Miami ). Then find a way to get Moncrief in round two and I would be thrilled.

Dennard and Moncrief would be sweet.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

I'm glad you like it. When I get around to doing a mock draft they will probably be my first two picks ( just a preview lol ).
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

I'm glad you like it. When I get around to doing a mock draft they will probably be my first two picks ( just a preview lol ).

I like Moncrief in round 2 and maybe Landry in round 3 if he is still available or Martavis Bryant. There are good 2nd corners we can get late in round 3 or rounds 4 or 5. I would also love to see a talented SS to develop like a Bailey or Loston we can draft later. Add a return man and we are pretty good to go. The rest is gravy.
With the depth at WR in this draft, they should look at corner. Hopefully a shut down, press coverage type guy that can schrink the field for us. Although teams are aware this draft is strong, it may cost too much to move up, Dennard and Gilbert are the guys who can make this defense better from day one i think. Not going to be disappointed if they go Dline or WR either. i like Mike Evans and Benjamin for what they can offer us in goal line situations where we struggle. Marquis Lee also a good pick, with Keenan Allen doing well last year, you got to think Lee could be even better.
QB is still a major need. Kaepernick could end up being a holdout next year and we can't rely on Gabbert to be the backup.
I would like Baalke to package picks and move into round 1. This way both players have 4 year contracts with an option to go 5 years.

WR, CB, pretty simple in round 1. Fortunately there is a lot of talent at the bottom of round 1 for both positions.

Trade the KC pick, a 3rd and a 5th to the Pats and move into round 1.

Use the other second on another WR.

Use the third on a bac up qb.
We really don't need more than a #3/4 WR and #3/4 CB so we very well could trade 30 outright for a 1st rounder next year from a bad team and end up picking top 15. We could do trade one of our 2nd's or 3rd's outright for a round higher pick next year as well. Could also just trade back a handful of spots for a pick next year. Like you said we could bundle a bunch of our picks and get someone like Evans, Watkins or Gilbert although not likely. I'd be fine moving up a few spots for Verrett if need be. Then at 56 giving up a 3rd and some more to move up to 35-40ish and getting Jordan Matthews.

Edit: Another good idea that I see people talking about is taking guys with potential in the mid to late rounds and stashing them on IR for the year. Millard, Colvin, Long, Murray or Exum are options. Seferian-Jenkins and Easley if they fall to late round 2 or even round 3 could be options as well. Then by next year we will have some FA's that have left leaving open spots for them. I'm not sure how closely the NFL monitors these guys to see if they are IR worthy but Okoye was able to go on and he just had a knee sprain.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:16 AM ]