LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

MadDog's Best Player Board 1-30 March 11 Edition

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey, MD, have been out of action for 3 months and just found out about founders 49ers Gold. Congratulations, and well deserved. Somehow I have a feeling Jonathan Martin gets back to Stanford ability, with his old coach, but still, if there is one of those OLs out there we could snag, I bet we do. We need DBs most, but TB likes OLs, which is fine by me.

Thanks for the kind note. This web board is filled with great contributors, like yourself, who could have easily been included. The team needed OT help since I am sure the team would not want to move Boone in case of Staley or Davis going down.
Originally posted by Amir:
your list is based on what pick they will be drafted at right?

so u think Clowney goes 14th and no Manziel in the first?

This is a best player available/ highest graded, not where I think they will fall
Looks like you agree with Dee Ford about his ability in comparison to Clowney's haha. I like Beckham a lot as well but you seem VERY high on him. Is he a player you could see the Niners moving up for? Why do you like him more than some of the other relatively highly touted WRs (Lee, Benjamin, Landry, Moncrief, Matthews, etc.) and do you have a top 10 or so list at WR and CB? Thanks for all of the work you put in.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Full draft Big Board coming in the next week. Looking at the last round now. The seventh round is a graveyard for all people who try to slot people in.

QBs tend to be overdrafted yearly. That being said, I think Manziel is in for a real slide. Bridgwater, Bortles, Carr should all go top 8, but thinking that the talent is so strong at the top of the draft, that some teams with QB needs with bypass and look for second tier guys in rounds 2 and 3.

Would lay money the team is drafting CB in the first this year. Varrett and Fuller should be in that area.

You may be correct about the CB position being first, but I think it will come down to BPA after they sign a FA to fill the CB needs...another Baalke move. Now that they have Boldin under wraps and Bethea, CB would appear to be their biggest need. But will they trade up for a dominant player? Like to be a fly on the wall of draft central!
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
So if there was a nice run on QBs and OTs in the first round of the draft it would potentially push Gilbert, Dennard, Pryor, Varret T. Smith, Clinton-Dix into a range that we could trade up to get? Thanks again for the info.

There should ba a traditional run on OL, and the overdrafted QB savior. It should some talent down,

Every year, for some crazy reason, players that should go early get drafted much later. David DeCastro may end up the best guard in the NFL by the end of the year, but for some reason dropped well down beyond his talent level.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Full draft Big Board coming in the next week. Looking at the last round now. The seventh round is a graveyard for all people who try to slot people in.

QBs tend to be overdrafted yearly. That being said, I think Manziel is in for a real slide. Bridgwater, Bortles, Carr should all go top 8, but thinking that the talent is so strong at the top of the draft, that some teams with QB needs with bypass and look for second tier guys in rounds 2 and 3.

Would lay money the team is drafting CB in the first this year. Varrett and Fuller should be in that area.

You may be correct about the CB position being first, but I think it will come down to BPA after they sign a FA to fill the CB needs...another Baalke move. Now that they have Boldin under wraps and Bethea, CB would appear to be their biggest need. But will they trade up for a dominant player? Like to be a fly on the wall of draft central!

Baalke rolls the dice a lot with corners, and it is going to bite us at some point. Maybe he will commit to a high draftee, because signing retreads for quick fixes is risky,
I will add that Marqise Lee is probably someone the team will take a long look at as well.

MD, can you compare/contrast Lee with Patton? When I compare the two, their measurable seem identical.

Quinton Patton
Height: 6000
Weight: 204
40 Yrd Dash: 4.48
20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 08
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.01
3-Cone Drill: 6.91

Marqise Lee
Height: 5116
Weight: 192
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'06"
3-Cone Drill:
You forgot Marqise Lee he's certainly better than Telvin Smith.
Originally posted by Butter:
MD, can you compare/contrast Lee with Patton? When I compare the two, their measurable seem identical.

Quinton Patton

Marqise Lee
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
3-Cone Drill:

The vertical, broad jump, and tape should tell you Lee is much more explosive. I still think he's much faster than Patton even though Patton has a faster recorded 40 time. I'm not sure if Lee just had a bad couple runs or has bad technique for the 40, but he plays faster than a lot of 4.4 guys including Patton. I'm not a huge fan of Lee, but there are several reasons why Lee is widely considered a first round pick while Patton fell to the 4th round. A number of people have been saying we need a slot receiver which may mean they don't think Patton is quick/explosive/shifty enough to play slot.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Looks like you agree with Dee Ford about his ability in comparison to Clowney's haha. I like Beckham a lot as well but you seem VERY high on him. Is he a player you could see the Niners moving up for? Why do you like him more than some of the other relatively highly touted WRs (Lee, Benjamin, Landry, Moncrief, Matthews, etc.) and do you have a top 10 or so list at WR and CB? Thanks for all of the work you put in.

It is hard to be an elite player in the NFL unless yout truly love the game, I am not sold that Clowney has that passion, and if not, he will not be the stud many project him to be. Beckham has all the traits you want in a receiver: quickness in and out of breaks, terrific hands, good football intelligence, and a motor that doesn't quit. While I don't put too much wait on combine drills, take a look at the way he snatches the ball. Special.

• Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Amir:
your list is based on what pick they will be drafted at right?

so u think Clowney goes 14th and no Manziel in the first?

This is a best player available/ highest graded, not where I think they will fall

I like how you have Aaron Donald and Ryan Shazier really high. I was hoping Shazier would drop to us. I'm a Manziel fan so I'd probably put him in the top ten although I think there would be more uncertainty with him. It seems Mike Evans wasn't that consistent and had two huge games against Auburn/Alabama, but the last three games he was about average. I think Manziel may have had more to do with Evans success.. who knows. They're both just sophomores....I'd probably try to squeeze Van Noy somewhere in that list.....anyways..nice list.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by Butter:

Quinton Patton

Marqise Lee
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
3-Cone Drill:

The vertical, broad jump, and tape should tell you Lee is much more explosive. I still think he's much faster than Patton even though Patton has a faster recorded 40 time. I'm not sure if Lee just had a bad couple runs or has bad technique for the 40, but he plays faster than a lot of 4.4 guys including Patton. I'm not a huge fan of Lee, but there are several reasons why Lee is widely considered a first round pick while Patton fell to the 4th round. A number of people have been saying we need a slot receiver which may mean they don't think Patton is quick/explosive/shifty enough to play slot.

Patton posted a 37" vert at his Pro Day. I thought that the general consensus was surprise that Patton fell to the 4th? Maybe something showed up in his medicals?

But what you're saying about tape is logical. Lee played for a bigger program against tougher competition. I think he is probably better. But he does seem like a duplication of skills. I'd rather see the Niners get a cover corner and a burner deep threat.

It is hard to be an elite player in the NFL unless yout truly love the game, I am not sold that Clowney has that passion, and if not, he will not be the stud many project him to be. Beckham has all the traits you want in a receiver: quickness in and out of breaks, terrific hands, good football intelligence, and a motor that doesn't quit. While I don't put too much wait on combine drills, take a look at the way he snatches the ball. Special.

I also question Clowney's commitment to the Game, but temper that with the fact that he definitely got into a "don't get injured" mindset last season. He definitely has the potential to be a boom or bust player in the Pros. I understand this is BPA ranking, but still a surprise to see him all the way down at 14 when there is zero chance he goes that low. I'm reminded of Albert Haynesworth who had the one phenomenal season (contract year) and the disappeared as he basically gave up (admittedly went to a bad team scheme-wise)

It will be interesting looking back in a couple of years and see how he adjusts
Originally posted by socal9er42:

I also question Clowney's commitment to the Game, but temper that with the fact that he definitely got into a "don't get injured" mindset last season. He definitely has the potential to be a boom or bust player in the Pros. I understand this is BPA ranking, but still a surprise to see him all the way down at 14 when there is zero chance he goes that low. I'm reminded of Albert Haynesworth who had the one phenomenal season (contract year) and the disappeared as he basically gave up (admittedly went to a bad team scheme-wise)

It will be interesting looking back in a couple of years and see how he adjusts

With MD's Best Player board, a player's expected draft slot is of course irrelevant to his evaluation. Even though Clowney is widely regarded as a top prospect, as an evaluator you have to trust your gut.

Another example: I give Derek Carr a 3rd round grade. I doubt he lasts that long, but through my evaluations I did not see enough to warrant a 1st round selection. I trust my instincts on players because I have a strong personal track record, and as Baalke says, your first impression is usually right.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:49 AM ]
Wow-- why so high on Hyde? Did he have a spectacular pro day?
Share 49ersWebzone