LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Who's your "I told you so." Draft Crush from years past?

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Last year - Logan Ryan, Kawann Short, Ace Sanders, Marcus Lattimore, and Da'Rick Rogers were guys I really wanted. Kawann was my draft crush cause he played at Purdue and I love all Boilers. Ace was my lightning in a bottle draft crush. And my high potential pick was Rogers.

Same
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
f**king Alshon Jeffery.

I thought Baalke was going to do it too. f**k.

This is one all the way. Here are my three lists -- the ones I predicted would be good, the ones I predicted would be bad, and my unfortunate misses.

Good: "I told you they'd be good" List
Antonio Brown - I said there way no way a player of his caliber should last past the third round, just because of a small school.
Sam Shields - Another late round prospect who has turned into a starter and who I felt would be good once developed.
Greg Hardy - On tape, he popped out. Always said if he could stay out of trouble, he'd be a big-time player.
Stefan Wisniewski - He is not talked about much, but he's really one of the best centers in the NFL right now. Wanted him a Niner.
Joique Bell - The guy dominated DIII level, and from the footage I watched on him, I felt he had the developmental abilities to adjust after a few years. As a rookie, he had 900 total yards (414 rushing, 485 receiving) with 3 TDs. In 2013, he gained 1100+ total yards with 8 TDs (650 rushing, 547 receiving).

Bad: "I told you they shouldn't have taken him" List
Larry English - one of the most overrated prospects I've ever seen. Literally laughed out loud when SD picked him in the 1st.
Taylor Mays - I was dumbfounded we took him so high. He had straight line speed, but no lateral mobility, and zero coverage ability.
Danny Watkins - Never understood the first round hype. I saw a 3rd-round player at best.
AJ Jenkins - I gave him a 4th round grade. Felt he should not have been touched until the 3rd at the earliest. I nearly vomited with this pick.
Brandon Harris - I begged people not to believe the hype on this Miami CB. He constantly took bad angles on tackles, and got caught flat-footed all the time in coverage. He has done nothing in 3 years with Houston and they have a desperate need at CB now.

Misses: "I admit, I was wrong. Didn't see that coming" List
Quentin Groves - Tossed players on their backs constantly in college. It never translated to the pros.
Mardy Gilyard - I felt his versatility and ability to get open would help mask his lack in measurables. It didn't.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by HERN:
My draft crush from 09' proudly became a reality: Michael Crabtree.

Dont know what i was thinking draft crush from 2011: Christian Ponder.

Damn. You admitted that? f**k dude!!!

I see your Christian Ponder and admit that I compared Blaine Gabbert to Aaron Rodgers! Ok, it wasn't a straight talent comparison, it was more of a "he reminds me most of" kinda comment.

Point being, don't ever listen to a word I say when it comes to prospects!

Patrick Peterson😍😍
And
Earl Thomas😍😍😍😍

I had hard wood for those guys!!!!

Wiffs:
BJ Raji, wasn't as dominant as I expected
Andy Dalton, kaep is better
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
2005: Derrick Johnson LB Texas - Chiefs (Fell in love with his style and still do)
2006: Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida - Broncos (I called him T.O. before the media called him Baby T.O.)
2007: Dwayne Bowe WR LSU - Chiefs (Dude is a baller. Wide Receiver is my favorite position and I respect Bowe's game a lot)
2008: Matt Forte RB Tulane - Bears (All he did in college was kill defenders, had some injuries in the pros but he's a borderline all-pro IMO)
2009: Michael Crabtree Texas Tech - 49ers (I might be one of his biggest fans)
2010: Alterraun Verner CB UCLA - Titans (As a former receiver, I really respect what Verner can do)
2011: Muhammad Wilkerson DL Temple - Jets (For some reason I saw him exactly how he is now)
2012: Orlando Franklin OT Miami - Broncos (I coached him in high school)
2013: Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee - Vikings (Beast)
Doug Martin RB
Marshawn Lynch RB
Michael Crabtree WR
Vernan Davis TE
Patrick Willis LB
Aaron Rodgers QB
Vince Wilfork DT
Tank Carradine DL
Brandon Marshall, Keenan Allen, Alex Boone, Carl Nicks

vs

Anthony Gonzales, Andy Katzenmoyer, Aaron Curry, Reggie Williams
Bowman
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Mardy Gilyard - I felt his versatility and ability to get open would help mask his lack in measurables. It didn't.

He's so garbage that he gets cut before he even gets signed. From wikipedia... The New York Jets claimed Gilyard off waivers on September 10, 2011.[6] However, he was waived by the Jets on September 9.[7]
Originally posted by Overkill:
Brandon Marshall, Keenan Allen, Alex Boone, Carl Nicks

vs

Anthony Gonzales, Andy Katzenmoyer, Aaron Curry, Reggie Williams

Yup I remember I along with many others were high on Reggie Williams
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Mar 10, 2014 at 5:44 PM ]

Off the top of my head...

Hits: Bobby Wagner, Harrison Smith

Misses: Aaron Curry, AJ Jenkins.... didnt think they would bust out as massively as they did, failboat.
Biggest hit: Randy Moss

Biggest Miss: Peter Warrick
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
1. Zach Ertz- I was screaming for Baalke et al to draft Ertz. I was hoping it was a lock to take, but then they traded down and took McDonald. Baffling to me, and still is. When I watched Ertz make the clutch catch vs Oregon, then not celebrate and simply handed the ball to the ref, I thought this guy is first class.
2. Earl Thomas- I think Anthony Davis great, but I loved Earl Thomas.
3. Jake Plummer- I thought he was a better fit than Jim Drunkenmiller, Would have been the best transition from Montana/Young

Misses-
1. I wanted the team to trade up for David De Castro, (we did not know Boone would be so good)
2. Okoye- I thought he might make the roster from day 1,
3. Le Michael James- I thought he was going to be a baller like in college
4. Cody PIckett- I simply wanted him to be our Tom Brady

i like your list. ertz doesn't run 4.4, but there was little doubt that he's a football player. earl thomas has bravura to his game--you don't pass on that in the draft. why did dwight clark--knowing what he knew of montana's style--pass on plummer for druk? that was a dumbfounding move.
never saw why people were enamored with decastro; he lacks the brute strength to excel. okoye's body is that of an offensive tackle--that's why he isn't going to make a difference on the d-line. lemichael is quicker than fast--that works in college, but those guys have a big drop-off in the pros because overall game speed shrinks a quick guys radius of damage he can do. cody pickett: the white vince evans.
2005 Aaron Rogers
2006 A. VD (yeah we picked him) B. Maurice Jones-Drew
2007 David Harris
2008 Matt Forte
2010 Dez Bryant, Nate Allen
2011 JJ Watt
2012 Coby Fleener

2005 Reggie Brown
2006 Winston Justice
2007 Adam Carriker
2008 Eddie Royal
2010 Jahvid Best
2011 Stephen Paea
2012 Stephen Hill, Greg Childs

2009 because I can't remember who I wanted or missed. Didn't matter when Crabtree fell to us...I was ecstatic about that.

Couldn't find my other Mocks but here's a couple...

I'd be real happy if I saw something like this:1st a) Trade down for a mid-low first and a mid-low 2nd. b) Iupati c) Brown
2nd a)Jahvid Best b) Nate Allen
3rd Used to move up and grab Nate
4th Linval Joseph

My Final Mock Draft. Not what I expect...but I'd like to see it. Hill is still my favorite WR, but I don't think he's there at 30.

Niners Trade #30 to Indy for their 2nd and 4th.
2nd Amini Silatolu OG (from Indy)
2nd Bruce Irvin, OLB3rd Jared Crick, DT/DE
4th Greg Childs, WR (from Indy)
4th Tank Carder, ILB
5th Arron Henry, S
6th Ron Brooks, CB
7th Osuwu,
[ Edited by Jakemall on Mar 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM ]
Dez Bryant. You could see it on dislay in college he was a boss. Several teams passes I had hoped we took him but we got Davis and Iupati instead. Cant complain too much.
I also felt Mike Rumph would be a bust. An oops for me was Lawrence Phillips. Loved him was hype when we signed him.
Share 49ersWebzone