LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Jimmie Ward Strong Safety

Also, had his foot been healthy and he ran something like a 4.4 40...no way he would have lasted until the 30th pick
Originally posted by paulk205:
Originally posted by Geeked:
You bring up an excellent point. It's a fairly odd spot to pick, especially when you have so many teams eyeing "steals" in the early second (49ers draft late second). So, more likely than not, teams won't trade for the 30th ovreall pick if they have an early second because they'll assume their guy will be their either way. However, the 49ers can not assume their "second round steal" will exist in the LATE second round.
The voice of reason at last (the same goes for the poster you responded to). I have no clue how Ward will pan out - he may be another Reid or another AJ Jenkins. Who knows? But this persistent nonsense about "steals" and "reaches" always focuses on rounds rather than overall picks. Ward may very well have been "available in the 2nd", as most idiots like Walter Football like to drone on. But would he have been available at 56 overall? That's what these people keep forgetting, or rather they can't keep really track of 250-odd draftees and over 1500 squad positions in all teams, so they use the crib of "rounds". I particularly love how they muddle the picture even more by using two rounds or more for a prospect's possible draft position: "Possible round drafted: 3-5". I always laugh when I see such "predictions", which basically mean "he will be one of about 100 names between the top of the 3rd and the bottom of the 5th". Some prediction!

I have always said if the guy you like is there when you get to pick and your phone isnt ringing with a amazing offer you damn well take him. The idea that maybe we could have gotten an extra 7 and moved back ten spots chancing the guy will still be there is to fraut with peril.
Props to Buck and McGibblets
Coach Harbaugh said he was the last guy with a first round grade on their board. And it's a great pick for not only the short term but the long term too. He should be an instant upgrade for this team in the nickel package. He's a defensive playmaker, something this team desperately needed in the secondary. A ball hawk who knows how to tackle, really can't ask for more.
And if Eric Reid suffers more concussions (hope he doesn't) then we don't have to worry about Craig Dahl stepping in.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Good call, Buck! You were hyping this kid up for a while.

Thanks.

Now, Ward just has to prove himself on the field. I think he will.

I really hope he does, it will be good for the team, and make me look smarter than I am.

great job buck!

and your modesty is exceeded only by your credibility!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Coach Harbaugh said he was the last guy with a first round grade on their board. .

Do you have a link for this statement from Harbaugh?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
These types of threada should be made into the official player pages in niner talk so Mr. Mcgib, buck and others can get credit for their analysis.

Ditto. Also, Maddog had Ward as an overall #15 pick. And don't forget Buck.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on May 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Coach Harbaugh said he was the last guy with a first round grade on their board.

OK. Many people are saying that Harbaugh said this.

I have not heard it, but I will set aside my skepticism, and accept that it is true.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Giedi.
Originally posted by buck:
OK. Many people are saying that Harbaugh said this.

I have not heard it, but I will set aside my skepticism, and accept that it is true.

I wish I could link the article, but yeah I read it to somewhere reputable. Great job Buck. My respect for you grows, and it was very high already.

Love the pick. Only wish we didn't extend Bethea. Can't wait to him next to Reid. Super athletic. 38 inch vertical and ran a solid 4.4 on a hurt foot. Wonder how fast he is healthy.
Originally posted by kgizzle4081:
Love the pick. Only wish we didn't extend Bethea. Can't wait to him next to Reid. Super athletic. 38 inch vertical and ran a solid 4.4 on a hurt foot. Wonder how fast he is healthy.

He isn't going to come in and replace Bethea.
Bethea has nothing to do with this draft pick, at least for another 3-4 years
Originally posted by Quest4six:

2 years max. Look at his guarantee money in his contract language. Bethea is a 1 or 2 year stop gap.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by Quest4six:

2 years max. Look at his guarantee money in his contract language. Bethea is a 1 or 2 year stop gap.

Perfect, there you go.

I can't tell you how annoying people are when they claim we didn't need Ward because of Bethea.
Great pick if we plan to use him as our nickel cb to replace rodgers. Don't like the pick if we plan to use him at safety to replace whitner.
Share 49ersWebzone