There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reynolds,Loston,Dixon which safety do u want

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
This..

This^
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Terrance Brooks, Dion Bailey, Ed Reynolds and Jimmie Ward are my picks to be 9ers.

I like
My least favorite player mentioned in this thread is Buchanon. My favorite is Terrence Brooks.

Although Jaylen Watkins is the best bang for yer buck as a safety prospect IMO.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Buchanan

yup
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Antone Exum! We can probably scoop the guy in the 5th or 6th.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I'd hate to see a rookie STARTING alongside 2nd year man Eric Reid. That would be too young. We need a savvy mid tier FA along with another draft choice.

Didn't Seattle start Thomas and Chancellor as rookies? Granted, their coverage scheme is less complex, but it worked okay for them
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
The USC guy.instant bust.see Taylor mays

Soooo because he went to USC he's an instant bust? Cause he and Mays is nothing alike

I don't know if you have noticed the trend but USC is a breeding ground for busts.

It's really all just silicone
^ like all of the suggestions on this page, except for Ed Reynolds.. just wasn't impressed with his angles, tackling, much of anything... underwhelming Combine too.
Originally posted by Ruhl:

hes a CB.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by Ruhl:

hes a CB.

Exum played safety for his first 3 years there (includes his redshirt freshman year), was an honorable mention safety in 2011 and didn't move to CB until his junior year. Technically he only played one full year at CB and that was 2012, so he should be fine.
I'd hate to see a rookie STARTING alongside 2nd year man Eric Reid. That would be too young. We need a savvy mid tier FA along with another draft choice.

What's the big deal about starting 2 young safeties? As long as they are good and you have a good scheme, who cares??? Seattle did it with Thomas and Chancellor. The old 49er dynasty did it with Lott, Wright, Williamson. Vets are over-rated. Especially vets (Whitner, Rogers) that got burned repeatedly in the past 3 postseasons.

Bottomline: These over-rated vets cost us at least 2 superbowls In 2011, Rogers, Whitner & co. got burned by the Saints & Giants. Would've easily beat NE that year in the superbowl.

In 2012, they were even worst against Green Bay, Atlanta & Baltimore. Kaep single-handedly carried the team to a few yards from winning the superbowl. No thanks to the lousy Defense.

This past year, huge screwups against Seattle in the championship game costs us the game and probably another easy Superbowl win against the weak AFC champ broncos. I say good riddance.
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM ]
I don't know if you have noticed the trend but USC is a breeding ground for busts.

Really? If we went on what your saying then we shouldn't draft from any school, all schools produce busts brah!
And can you tell me what school the best 49ers safety ever and one of the best all time, my favorite 49er all time Ronnie Lott came from? Or how about another future hall of famer Troy Polamalu? That's two of the best Safeties to ever play the game man, sure USC produced busts as does every school, but it also produced some pretty good ones if you ask me. SMFH
I like Ahmad Dixon out of this lot.
Originally posted by kronik:

What's the big deal about starting 2 young safeties? As long as they are good and you have a good scheme, who cares??? Seattle did it with Thomas and Chancellor. The old 49er dynasty did it with Lott, Wright, Williamson. Vets are over-rated. Especially vets (Whitner, Rogers) that got burned repeatedly in the past 3 postseasons.

Bottomline: These over-rated vets cost us at least 2 superbowls In 2011, Rogers, Whitner & co. got burned by the Saints & Giants. Would've easily beat NE that year in the superbowl.

In 2012, they were even worst against Green Bay, Atlanta & Baltimore. Kaep single-handedly carried the team to a few yards from winning the superbowl. No thanks to the lousy Defense.

This past year, huge screwups against Seattle in the championship game costs us the game and probably another easy Superbowl win against the weak AFC champ broncos. I say good riddance.

Without getting too emotive, I agree with you here.

My memories of the play-offs in the last two seasons are watching Whitner and Rogers getting burned deep repeatedly - the blown coverage against the Falcons in the 2012 NFC championship game where Roddy White (or Jones) just went by on a deep run un-covered to the corner, the Jacoby Jones TD in the Superbowl 2012 where he went deep, caught the pass, fell over, got back up and beat Goldson (vet) and Cully for the TD.

2013 NFC Championship game and the blown coverage by Whitner for the Baldwin TD.

I have no issue at all with putting a rookie SS out there with Reid, I have a load of faith in Reid's coverage skills (his angles for tackling just need improved) and would like someone in the Chancellor mold.
Originally posted by kronik:

Completely on the same page. I agree that people tend to overrate vets - my thing is, if the kids are ready to play and deserving of the job, LET THEM PLAY. I want the best players on the field - vet or rookie. We of all people should know that even the "all knowing" and "experienced" vets can lose their composure and be even more prone to bonehead mistakes as we've seen from this group of vets THREE times in a row in the postseason. Time for an overhaul.