LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Should we draft another TE ?

I say yes, and get a guy who can play TE and FB. That way we fully utilize a roster spot, and we dont have to sign DL off the street to play FB for us if we lose miller again !
If the Niners draft a TE he has to be a better blocker than Garret Celek IMO, and that would be tough to get out of a rookie IMO. The only guy who comes to mind is Austin whats-his-name from the Huskies, and he might be a late 2nd / early 3rd rounder.

I'd say stick with the current TEs.
  • Jiks
"If" he falls to the later rounds. Something I feel we need, and was hoping, and still thinking McDonald can bring. An actual prototypical TE... I feel our biggest void on offense is a short passing game. Having a good reliable TE that will make the tough catches over the middle "could" help us dramatically. We get a TE that can find small holes in zones, block decently, I think our offense can take off. Only problem being Greg Roman.

Jake Murphy

STRENGTHS: Looks the part of an NFL tight end with an athletic, well-developed frame. Versatile, pro-ready tight end with experience in the traditional in-line role, as well as flexed out wide and as an H-back.

He possesses soft hands with good hand-eye coordination and body control to make catches outside of his frame and good concentration to make the contested grab with defenders surrounding him. Strong runner after the catch, showing the leg drive and toughness to fight through arm tackles. Good flexibility and agility to gain a free release and generate separation from defenders. Possesses just average initial quickness but accelerates smoothly and has good top-end speed for the position.

Became a stronger, more physical blocker in 2013. Impressive athletic bloodlines, as his father, Dale Murphy was a six-time National League all-star in Major League Baseball and his brother, Shawn, played at Utah State and spent some time with the Denver Broncos.

WEAKNESSES: While sporting the broad-shouldered, well-built frame normally associated with this position, Murphy does not consistently play with the power his build suggests. He is a willing blocker but often lined up on the wing as a "move" tight end, taking advantage of his athleticism, rather than power to turn and shield defenders from the ball.

Suffered a broken wrist against UCLA on Oct. 3 and missed four games in 2013 as a result. At 24 years-old, Murphy is older than most prospects.

COMPARES TO: Dennis Pitta, Ravens - Just as Pitta was when leaving BYU, Murphy has been overlooked a bit from a national perspective, but his soft hands and sharp route-running could help him emerge as a reliable security blanket in the NFL.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1825052/jake-murphy
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
"If" he falls to the later rounds. Something I feel we need, and was hoping, and still thinking McDonald can bring. An actual prototypical TE... I feel our biggest void on offense is a short passing game. Having a good reliable TE that will make the tough catches over the middle "could" help us dramatically. We get a TE that can find small holes in zones, block decently, I think our offense can take off. Only problem being Greg Roman.

Jake Murphy

STRENGTHS: Looks the part of an NFL tight end with an athletic, well-developed frame. Versatile, pro-ready tight end with experience in the traditional in-line role, as well as flexed out wide and as an H-back.

He possesses soft hands with good hand-eye coordination and body control to make catches outside of his frame and good concentration to make the contested grab with defenders surrounding him. Strong runner after the catch, showing the leg drive and toughness to fight through arm tackles. Good flexibility and agility to gain a free release and generate separation from defenders. Possesses just average initial quickness but accelerates smoothly and has good top-end speed for the position.

Became a stronger, more physical blocker in 2013. Impressive athletic bloodlines, as his father, Dale Murphy was a six-time National League all-star in Major League Baseball and his brother, Shawn, played at Utah State and spent some time with the Denver Broncos.

WEAKNESSES: While sporting the broad-shouldered, well-built frame normally associated with this position, Murphy does not consistently play with the power his build suggests. He is a willing blocker but often lined up on the wing as a "move" tight end, taking advantage of his athleticism, rather than power to turn and shield defenders from the ball.

Suffered a broken wrist against UCLA on Oct. 3 and missed four games in 2013 as a result. At 24 years-old, Murphy is older than most prospects.

COMPARES TO: Dennis Pitta, Ravens - Just as Pitta was when leaving BYU, Murphy has been overlooked a bit from a national perspective, but his soft hands and sharp route-running could help him emerge as a reliable security blanket in the NFL.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1825052/jake-murphy

Share 49ersWebzone