There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jimmy Garoppolo-QB-EIU

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Would love to have him but I think he will fly up the boards and end up in the early to mid 2nd round. Even late 2nd is too early for us to take a QB it would just create a QB controversy with the media. If negotiations are going well we shouldn't take a QB before the late 3rd to compete with Bethel-Thompson or another vet for the 2nd spot.




screw media BS.... Kaep needs to be strong enough to step up and stay ahead of the footsteps.
Kap has dealt with media yapping from day one over his tats and family background in some very despicable ways from both media and fans. Even to this day Lowell is going at his momma for doing her job protecting her son. I don't think Kap will blink at some competition. He hasn't before and I don't think he will now. The guy he got the job from was pretty darned good himself and Kap took the job and just kept winning. I won't skip a QB just to make Kap comfortable. He doesn't need that! Kap is ultra confident. It should be very easy to see that
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Kap has dealt with media yapping from day one over his tats and family background in some very despicable ways from both media and fans. Even to this day Lowell is going at his momma for doing her job protecting her son. I don't think Kap will blink at some competition. He hasn't before and I don't think he will now. The guy he got the job from was pretty darned good himself and Kap took the job and just kept winning. I won't skip a QB just to make Kap comfortable. He doesn't need that! Kap is ultra confident. It should be very easy to see that

Oh, I do not disagree. Just saying, I have seen posters use that as a reason for not drafting an early QB. Meaning... "well, how's that going to look to Kaep?" But I agree that it shouldn't and wouldn't cause Kaep to panic or stumble.
I'm not worried about how Kap would handle it I'm more worried about media b.s. but I guess you can't run your team worried about them. To me though Garoppolo could go in the early to mid 2nd round and I don't think I'd use a pick that high on a QB. Maybe if they don't think they can get a deal done with Kap but I don't see that happening. We are looking for a backup not a starter so I'm fine drafting someone in the mid rounds to compete with Bethel-Thompson for backup.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'm not worried about how Kap would handle it I'm more worried about media b.s. but I guess you can't run your team worried about them. To me though Garoppolo could go in the early to mid 2nd round and I don't think I'd use a pick that high on a QB. Maybe if they don't think they can get a deal done with Kap but I don't see that happening. We are looking for a backup not a starter so I'm fine drafting someone in the mid rounds to compete with Bethel-Thompson for backup.

still have trouble understanding this, and have yet to see a decent response... but if QB is THE most important position in football? then why not use an extra 2nd rd + 3rd rd pick to move up and secure a great # 2 QB? 4 yr cheap contract for a talented young kid to develop...

I mean, to each his own really... but it's still...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
still have trouble understanding this, and have yet to see a decent response... but if QB is THE most important position in football? then why not use an extra 2nd rd + 3rd rd pick to move up and secure a great # 2 QB? 4 yr cheap contract for a talented young kid to develop...

I mean, to each his own really... but it's still...

Because we have Kaepernick and we aren't looking for a starting QB. If we were then by all means I'll throw out a 2nd and 3rd to move up to secure him. Hard to justify a 2nd and a 3rd or even a 2nd on a QB when we will likely need a few CB's, a WR and a SS in the first 3 rounds. If Whitner and/or Brown were re-signed then I would think about using an early pick on a QB.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
still have trouble understanding this, and have yet to see a decent response... but if QB is THE most important position in football? then why not use an extra 2nd rd + 3rd rd pick to move up and secure a great # 2 QB? 4 yr cheap contract for a talented young kid to develop...

I mean, to each his own really... but it's still...

Because we have Kaepernick and we aren't looking for a starting QB. If we were then by all means I'll throw out a 2nd and 3rd to move up to secure him. Hard to justify a 2nd and a 3rd or even a 2nd on a QB when we will likely need a few CB's, a WR and a SS in the first 3 rounds. If Whitner and/or Brown were re-signed then I would think about using an early pick on a QB.

Agree this kid is going late 1st to early 2nd is going to be a starter imo to te teams who did NOT pick a QB in the early 1st.

A perfect example of a backup QB is A.J. McCarron imo he is NOT starter material but is smart and experienced in the pro style offense if Kaepernick gets injured to manage a game which I would prefer.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Because we have Kaepernick and we aren't looking for a starting QB. If we were then by all means I'll throw out a 2nd and 3rd to move up to secure him. Hard to justify a 2nd and a 3rd or even a 2nd on a QB when we will likely need a few CB's, a WR and a SS in the first 3 rounds. If Whitner and/or Brown were re-signed then I would think about using an early pick on a QB.

So let's see... we essentially need 1 WR... 1 CB... and 1 SS early on... and even the WR need is debatable. We would still have this if we traded a 3rd rd pick for a QB in the early 2nd...

rd 1 - CB/S (#30)
rd 2 - QB (say #56 + #93 for #43)
rd 2 - S/CB (#61)
rd 3 - WR (#77)

... and this still leaves us with 8 or 9 picks left. Probably have two 4ths there should we get the comp pick, right?

Is this trade up keeping us from addressing our needs?
You know what I concede that's not a bad scenario it's just not my preference. If it's up to me if Whitner is gone I use that 3rd to go up and get Clinton-Dix or Pryor. I use our first 2nd for a CB and our 2nd 2nd for a WR. I use our 3rd on the BPA at OL (possibly DL). 4th is where I take my backup QB.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
You know what I concede that's not a bad scenario it's just not my preference. If it's up to me if Whitner is gone I use that 3rd to go up and get Clinton-Dix or Pryor. I use our first 2nd for a CB and our 2nd 2nd for a WR. I use our 3rd on the BPA at OL (possibly DL). 4th is where I take my backup QB.

... cool, fair enough.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10869421/2014-nfl-draft-jon-gruden-shares-observations-jimmy-garoppolo


1. Garoppolo is rising.

He is a four-year starter but actually is a late bloomer. He wasn't a certified quarterback in high school. He was a linebacker and running back and was not heavily recruited. I bet he was 155 pounds starting out at Eastern Illinois. He goes through a coaching change in his sophomore year, and the new coach comes from Baylor with that up-tempo, no-huddle offense. Garoppolo just took off in that offense. He was also beginning to flourish physically thanks to his work ethic. He really got bigger and stronger. You pair the physical improvements with this style of offense, and he just exploded onto the scene his senior year. He wins the Walter Payton Award, which is basically the Heisman of the FCS. He's the offensive MVP of the East-West Shrine Game, he goes to the Senior Bowl and looks like he belongs. This is a legitimate prospect who was under the radar for a long time.




2. Being late to the party is not all bad.

So many of these quarterbacks have grown up with private quarterback coaches, and I don't know that these coaches are the most valuable commodities at times. Garoppolo did not come up that way. As I said, he wasn't even a quarterback. I like the route he took. He went to Jeff Christensen, who played at Eastern Illinois back in the early 1980s and then spent a few years in the NFL. Christensen was a local guy who helped Garoppolo with his mechanics and how to improve and how to read defenses. Garoppolo has a great work ethic, tremendous charisma and a passion for the game. You feel it when you're around him. He will get stronger.




3. Hand size is something to watch.

Garoppolo does not have the biggest hands (9.25 inches). These types of things can matter, or else they wouldn't do the tests. But there are some guys in the NFL who throw the ball just fine with smaller hands. Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Tannehill have smaller hands than Garoppolo. You can always wear gloves. There are ways to deal with the wet football or the cold football that can sometimes overcome three-eighths of an inch. Garoppolo has a real good throwing motion. Everyone agrees it is one of the quicker passing motions. That has to do with the training and the amount of passes. I'll bet he throws 250 a day. He's a human Jugs machine.

4. The college system won't help now.

There's going to be an adjustment period from the spread offense he was running, which was basically the same offense Robert Griffin III ran at Baylor. Garoppolo's world is different from mine, although I've been converted to this no-huddle offense since Chip Kelly introduced me to it. The thing with Jimmy is, he has had great success -- phenomenal success -- statistically and teamwise in this system. You have to give him credit for that, but at the same time, when he gets into minicamps, he will not recognize the plays and will not have done a lot of the things. What he has working in his favor is that he's a sponge. He is going out of his way to learn right now, not just with my little day camp but with other coaches and players. He is finding ways to get up to speed. That is the kind of kid you look for. He will be able to play in any offense after an adjustment period.

5. A West Coast system could be the best fit.

There's been some talk that Garoppolo could sneak into the first round. I don't know if that is the case. Where you go is usually more important than when you go. I could see Garoppolo playing in a West Coast offense with a quick-rhythm passing game. I could see him with someone such as Andy Reid or Sean Payton.


  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,932
Neither Montana or young had serious injuries - until late in their careers. While QB is the most important position on a football team, so far Colin has been very durable. I'd hesitate to put more draft capital on such a strong position already. Any QB we draft this year is going to sit on the bench for a very long time. Me personally, I would not draft a QB higher than 5th round. We are very close to a super bowl and I don't want to pick a player who most likely won't have an immediate impact on our season this year.
His hand size is very alarming for me. Can he play in the elements? Is he going to hold onto the ball in the pocket under pressure? They are both questions that need to be answered.
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
His hand size is very alarming for me. Can he play in the elements? Is he going to hold onto the ball in the pocket under pressure? They are both questions that need to be answered.

He's got bigger hands than Kaepernick who did alright playing in freezing cold Green Bay, so I think the answer is yes.