There are 194 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo-QB-EIU

Originally posted by Rascal:
Has all the interests with Garoppolo died down now since everyone in the media is talking about Kirk Cousins?

Not for me....I just think everyone assumes CLE or CHI can/will outbid SF and the Cousins/Shannahan relationship is the most logical. I personally would rather have JG...by a mile
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Not for me....I just think everyone assumes CLE or CHI can/will outbid SF and the Cousins/Shannahan relationship is the most logical. I personally would rather have JG...by a mile

Me too.

But, unfortunately it does seem like an uphill battle due to Shanahan's relationship with Cousins. Mike Lombardi did say on the Rich Eisen Show when Kyle Shanahan first arrived at the Browns, he did stand on the table wanting the Browns to trade for Cousins (at 24:16).

I am just hoping if the Redskins tries to do a tag and trade and insists on 2 x 1st, it might turn the 9ers off enough for them to think elsewhere.

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Me too.

But, unfortunately it does seem like an uphill battle due to Shanahan's relationship with Cousins. Mike Lombardi did say on the Rich Eisen Show when Kyle Shanahan first arrived at the Browns, he did stand on the table wanting the Browns to trade for Cousins (at 24:16).

I am just hoping if the Redskins tries to do a tag and trade and insists on 2 x 1st, it might turn the 9ers off enough for them to think elsewhere.

The best two options for San Francisco today from the footage we do have when is by far cousins and Garoppolo
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
The best two options for San Francisco today from the footage we do have when is by far cousins and Garoppolo

Jimmy G yes, Cousins not so much. I don't like QBs who has an inherent trait of panicking and making mistakes when faced with pressure. Worse still especially when you have to break the bank to pay him elite QB money to land him when he is not an elite QB.

Jimmy G yes, Cousins not so much. I don't like QBs who has an inherent trait of panicking and making mistakes when faced with pressure. Worse still especially when you have to break the bank to pay him elite QB money to land him when he is not an elite QB.

Problem is Jimmy G is a question mark still..no one knows if he folds under pressure or excels..can't get a real feel for a QB with 2 starts under his belt, at least I can't..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

QB's make mistakes it's part of playing the hardest position in football. But you knock Cousins so much that the only difference between him and Garoppolo is that he hasn't started a full season and made any mistakes yet. You fault Cousins for his mistakes you act like he can't learn from them, like he's always gonna be this horrible QB you make him out to be, tell me did you say the same thing about Matt Ryan?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Problem is Jimmy G is a question mark still..no one knows if he folds under pressure or excels..can't get a real feel for a QB with 2 starts under his belt, at least I can't..

Know what you mean, can't argue with that.

So, what we are basically talking about is a QB with an unknown quality (Garoppolo) Vs a QB who we already know has a tendency to fold in big moments and big games (Cousins).

It is a gamble, personally I would take my chances with Garoppolo rather than dealing with Cousins' meltdown issues. I just can't commit to a guy when I already know full well he has that deeply ingrained issue. When you have a tendency to fold, this is usually an innate trait and is extremely difficult to coach it out of the player.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
QB's make mistakes it's part of playing the hardest position in football. But you knock Cousins so much that the only difference between him and Garoppolo is that he hasn't started a full season and made any mistakes yet. You fault Cousins for his mistakes you act like he can't learn from them, like he's always gonna be this horrible QB you make him out to be, tell me did you say the same thing about Matt Ryan?

I view that panicking/meltdown tendency as a very serious issue when it comes to QBs. The problem is it tends to be innate and in most case it is exceedingly difficult to coach it out of the player.

Matt Ryan? I absolutely cannot fault him. He doesn't have that tendency. Tendency means you have a habit of doing the same thing in a repeated fashion. Only 7 INTs Vs 38 TDs? That is excellent. Can't say the same with Cousins though, 25 TDs Vs 12 INTs.
[ Edited by Rascal on Feb 23, 2017 at 5:14 AM ]

I view that panicking/meltdown tendency as a very serious issue when it comes to QBs. The problem is it tends to be innate and in most case it is exceedingly difficult to coach it out of the player.

Matt Ryan? I absolutely cannot fault him. He doesn't have that tendency. Tendency means you have a habit of doing the same thing in a repeated fashion. Only 7 INTs Vs 38 TDs? That is excellent. Can't say the same with Cousins though, 25 TDs Vs 12 INTs.

Panicking is what got Jimmy 5 qtrs injured

All great qbs you mentioned in the past has had the the same TD/Int ratio when they started out.

Your claim against cousins doesn't hold water.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Prior to Ryan's amazing campaign this year he had 5 straight years where he threw for anywhere between 21 and 32 TD's and between 12 and 17 INT's. Somewhat Kirk Cousins-ish in terms of just looking at those numbers, and he has had Julio Jones as his top target. His numbers were tremendous this year in year 2 of KS's system, a career year is what it was.

So I don't see how we can compare numbers from this year and use it to dictate tendencies, which is what you just did.

Man after Osweiler I cannot get behind Jimmy G. It's easy to look good with an amazing supporting cast around you.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by evil:

Prior to Ryan's amazing campaign this year he had 5 straight years where he threw for anywhere between 21 and 32 TD's and between 12 and 17 INT's. Somewhat Kirk Cousins-ish in terms of just looking at those numbers, and he has had Julio Jones as his top target. His numbers were tremendous this year in year 2 of KS's system, a career year is what it was.

So I don't see how we can compare numbers from this year and use it to dictate tendencies, which is what you just did.

Not to mention Ryan had back to back losing seasons in which he started all 16 games in. I wonder what people were saying about Ryan in 2013 and 2014.

Rascal compares Ryan's and Cousins' numbers in 2016, hmmm, but what about 2015 where Ryan went 21-16 and Cousins went 29 -11?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Man after Osweiler I cannot get behind Jimmy G. It's easy to look good with an amazing supporting cast around you.

osweiler didn't look good ever. He was only ok when he played with Broncos
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:

can you get a feel for trubisky??? If you can than thats hypocritical
Share 49ersWebzone