LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo-QB-EIU

Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by Jcool:

How in any way is this helping your argument.
Also how are you going to critique me for "not knowing" when you've posted a tweet and a stat sheet
Maybe give me your opinion instead of letting others do the talking for you?

Seriously. Also by those PFR stats you'll see we allowed the 2nd fewest pass attempts...for the 25th most touchdowns. That's awful.

As for Brock, he may have allowed a low catch rate, but he gave up a lot of yards and tds on those completions. A lot of that is the fact that he had no safety help. He isn't a true #1 but a solid #2

Edit - meant to say they were ranked 25th in tds allowed, giving up the 6th most in the NFL, on the 2nd fewest pass attempts
[ Edited by saniner on Feb 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by saniner:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by Jcool:

How in any way is this helping your argument.
Also how are you going to critique me for "not knowing" when you've posted a tweet and a stat sheet
Maybe give me your opinion instead of letting others do the talking for you?

Seriously. Also by those PFR stats you'll see we allowed the 2nd fewest pass attempts...for the 25th most touchdowns. That's awful.

As for Brock, he may have allowed a low catch rate, but he gave up a lot of yards and tds on those completions. A lot of that is the fact that he had no safety help. He isn't a true #1 but a solid #2

lol I didn't see that

Not to mention there was a point last season where the miners discussed benching Brock
I believe it was after his second consecutive game of 2TDs allowed
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. There is no way Garropolo goes for only 1 second round pick. Mark my words, I will eat crow, but it will take at least a second and a third or a second in the following draft.

I doubt New England would go for this as they always value second round picks because of rookie wage scale, but I would love to swap first round picks for Garropolo. They get pick two, the niners get pick 32. We then get our QB and picks 32 and 34, a plus plus for a team that needs everything under the sun.

I think if their demands can't get matched they may just sit on him as insurance for 2018.
Originally posted by jcs:
If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. There is no way Garropolo goes for only 1 second round pick. Mark my words, I will eat crow, but it will take at least a second and a third or a second in the following draft.

I doubt New England would go for this as they always value second round picks because of rookie wage scale, but I would love to swap first round picks for Garropolo. They get pick two, the niners get pick 32. We then get our QB and picks 32 and 34, a plus plus for a team that needs everything under the sun.

I think if their demands can't get matched they may just sit on him as insurance for 2018.

he is only $ 1.1 million against cap next year

peanuts
Originally posted by Andra:

I like this deal. I think it would be very hard for the Pats to pass on the 2nd overall pick.

Hard? Impossible, I would say. The difference between their pick and our pick is over 2,000 points! The perspective on it is, pick 33, the first of the 2nd round, is valued at 580 points. So the inflation here from one or two second round picks to a trade of 1sts, is intense. I don't like this deal which I think overvalued Garrapolo but I guess Shanahan is gonna do what he is gonna do.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Is he worth a 1st round pick? You can decide for yourself. Whether you agree or not, there is a pretty good chance he will cost a 1st when is all said and done.

I don't see the Browns getting JimmyG, I think it comes down to us vs the Bears.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Is he worth a 1st round pick? You can decide for yourself. Whether you agree or not, there is a pretty good chance he will cost a 1st when is all said and done.

Not all first round picks are created equal.

Everyone likes to bring up the Sam Bradford trade but that's not as simple as first and fourth.

Vikings were desperate and the Eagles knew it. They lost their starter after FA and draft happened. Philly knew how desperate they were and when the trade was made I'm sure both sides expected that first round pick to be a low first rounder and a low 4th rounder.

I don't feel like checking the trade value chart but I'd say that if the assumption was Vikings would pick bottom 25 that our 2nd rounder this year and another 2nd rounder next year(Alex Smith like trade) would be equal or even greater value than what the assumption of the Vikings trade was.

I just can't see any of the teams mentioned giving up their first round pick flat out. Cleveland MAY consider giving away #12 but they'd still have #1 overall. So do the Pats trade Jimmy to a team like Houston who has a lower first round pick instead of taking a 2nd plus something next year from a team like us?

Considering the Texans were a tough playoff team with a crappy QB and were missing JJ Watt, I'm not sure Pats really want to improve their team as Garoppolo would be perfect for that team.

Does a team like Arizona come into the picture? Well they're actually picking top 15 this year...seems like too much to give up. Chiefs or Dolphins? Once again not sure they'd look at Jimmy as a better fit than who they have but also doubtful Pats would be eager to help either team out.

I think ultimately they'd want to send him to an NFC team and one they won't likely see in the SB any time soon. Chicago and us seem like great fits but we have the higher draft picks...

I'm thinking it's Cleveland #1 with their picks and then us. I know a lot of people think Chicago is the #1 spot but I'm not following why that's the case.
I'm not so sure the Pats want a high 1st round pick, contracts are too much and they are more match up oriented from game to game. I think they will be much happier with a couple 2nd rounders.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I'm not so sure the Pats want a high 1st round pick, contracts are too much and they are more match up oriented from game to game. I think they will be much happier with a couple 2nd rounders.

That's silly.

A high 1st round pick can get them an impact type player or they can use that pick to trade down for a lot more than a couple of 2nd rounders. Not to mention gone are the days of top 5 draft picks earning more than all pro vets. The rookie salary cap has made those contracts way easier to handle. Yes the Pats would more than likely prefer to get multiple players for Jimmy but they wouldn't say no to a high first if someone offered it just to take multiple 2nd rounders.

But hey if we don't have to give up our 1st round pick that's great.

There's no reason why they wouldn't want a high 1st round pick, they could easily take that pick, trade down a couple of times and turn it into several more picks. I just don't believe that they will get a high 1st round pick for a guy with a limited track record due big money shortly after.

I think a 2nd and a conditional 2nd and 3rd is pretty fair, any team willing to pay more than that deserves to suffer for their stupidity.
Originally posted by Andra:

I like this deal. I think it would be very hard for the Pats to pass on the 2nd overall pick.

Nice job...my only question is would we do this needing an IMPACT player at NT, ILB, OLB, CB, and of course, QB, which this WOULD address. Basically, unless Garopp turns out to be an all pro, we would be passing on at least one impact player. Lots of good players out there, but impact players? Not so. Maybe the usual, 6-10, closer to 10 this yr. We have a number of GOOD players, but IMPACT guys....Justin is gone, Bow is basically gone( a second major lower limb surgery....unhhh...poor chance he comes back as good as he left.) And after that ....who do we have as a Patrick Willis Impact player? Answer...nobody. It is the Willis's, Justin's that are the guts and nuts of any team. We got none. And a team with no impact players...just doesn't go very far. In a good yr they get 9-10 Ws, but that is their upper limit. Now, maybe, just maybe we may have an up and comer in DeFo. But still, we need IMPACT players at the spots we have the major deficiencies.

Still and all, i like your thinking.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

There's no reason why they wouldn't want a high 1st round pick, they could easily take that pick, trade down a couple of times and turn it into several more picks. I just don't believe that they will get a high 1st round pick for a guy with a limited track record due big money shortly after.

I think a 2nd and a conditional 2nd and 3rd is pretty fair, any team willing to pay more than that deserves to suffer for their stupidity.

Still, I think they would rather end up with McCaffrey or Jarad Davis + a couple other later round picks to trade around and still have a 2nd rounder next year than to have one elite player this year (that they will trade or let go due to high salary anyway).
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Feb 14, 2017 at 11:49 AM ]
Let's separate fact from fiction in QB market for Romo, Garoppolo and Cousins

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lets-separate-fact-from-fiction-in-qb-market-for-romo-garoppolo-and-cousins/
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 20, 2017 at 1:09 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Has all the interests with Garoppolo died down now since everyone in the media is talking about Kirk Cousins?
Share 49ersWebzone