LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo-QB-EIU

Originally posted by genus49:
I have no issues with Jimmy but he wouldn't be a first round pick just due to his competition in college and he wasn't a sure thing so he wouldn't be the first pick in this class. However his experience working with Brady and Belichick and even the 1.5 games of starting are more than any of the guys available so he certainly is more proven than any of those guys.

But I still wouldn't use our first rounder on him because he will be getting some serious scratch.

Because of competition? Wasn't Wentz just the 2nd overall pick and he was in the FCS lol. I never said give up a 1st for him, just stating if he was in this draft he's probably be at the top of the list. I'd take that if we gave up our 2nd rd pick all day.
Fine. But we still draft a QB in the 1st.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

They arent trading for Garoppolo and still drafting a QB early.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Then don't bother with Garoppolo.

Yeah if the niners trade for Jimmy G they can focus mainly on the other big needs like NT ( hopefully in Williams is FA) OLB ( please Garrett fall to 2) ILB, and WR..tho taking a QB in the 5th or later I'm not against..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by 9moon:
WHY would the be a stupid move?

Because giving up a high 1st rounder for a guy with 1.5 career starts playing in a QB friendly offense and about to be due a huge new contract is patently stupid.

Yup.
but if you have the As of Spade on your hand, would you not be asking for a lot as well if you were the PATRIOTS??

.. and do you guys believe that Kaepernick would become a better passer if he went to the Patriots??

Why not? He's a young QB who has the potential to be a franchise starter, he's received good coaching and was a well regarded prospect coming out of college. If they could get Garrett in the 1st and trade a 2nd plus a conditional pick for Garoppolo I'd be down with it.
Originally posted by 9moon:
but if you have the As of Spade on your hand, would you not be asking for a lot as well if you were the PATRIOTS??

So let them ask for a lot, doesn't mean that they will get it.

How much did they get for Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, two premier proven players? A late 2nd rounder and a compensatory 3rd round pick for Pro Bowl caliber players.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 19, 2016 at 4:26 PM ]

Why?
Trading for Jimmy G would put us in the driver's seat for the draft. If our acquisition of Garoppolo scares Cleveland into going QB at #1, we get Garrett. If they pick Garrett, we get to trade down to a team desperate for the top QB in the draft. I think folks here are forgetting how lowly Goff and Wentz were regarded before the hype train started rolling after the season. Someone's gonna be worth a mess of picks.

Why not? He's a young QB who has the potential to be a franchise starter, he's received good coaching and was a well regarded prospect coming out of college. If they could get Garrett in the 1st and trade a 2nd plus a conditional pick for Garoppolo I'd be down with it.

This this and a bit more of this. If we could get Garrett AND Garappolo that would be huge. Not gonna happen but we can dream.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Trading for Jimmy G would put us in the driver's seat for the draft. If our acquisition of Garoppolo scares Cleveland into going QB at #1, we get Garrett. If they pick Garrett, we get to trade down to a team desperate for the top QB in the draft. I think folks here are forgetting how lowly Goff and Wentz were regarded before the hype train started rolling after the season. Someone's gonna be worth a mess of picks.

This is all very true. Good points, sir!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Wow, that would be pretty insane. I have a hard time imagining any front office, including the Browns, would value a QB who has started only 2 (?) games with a top 10 pick.

Which would be really stupid...so yeah a true Cleveland Browns move.

Well, it might not be as crazy as you think. The truth is we have already seen Garoppolo in action, be it in a very limited fashion in both preseason as well as a couple of regular season games. But, one thing fore sure is we are liking what we see because we think he is good. Dare I say, I am pretty sure Belichick also knows what he's got there. Don't forget, after Garoppolo was injured, they also played Jacoby Brissett who just didn't look anywhere as good.

The question is are you saying your scouting is so solid that you are 100% sure that say both Trubisky and Watson will be better than Garoppolo? Personally, I am not. As for the Browns, if that means they can be worry-free and grab Garrett at No.1 overall and still get a Jimmy Garoppolo at QB, surely it can't get much better than that? And how do I know that? Cos I know a lot of us will be creaming in our pants if the 9ers did the same including the both of you. But, let me play devil's advocate here for a moment, say even if the Browns didn't use their second 1st round pick on Garoppolo, they use their 2nd round pick instead, that is still 1 spot higher than our 2nd round pick. Bottom line is they have far more assets than us to play with and if they think drafting Garrett and trading for Garoppolo is the best option for them, they may just be able to make it happen.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

This is all very true. Good points, sir!

This is nonsense. If the 49ers trade for Garopollo before the draft, that gives the Browns a better shot at landing Trubisky, Watson, and Kizer with their 2nd first round pick which is looking better and better. Goff was considered a top 5 pick well before the season ended.
If the Niners ask and NE sets the price too high, then forget it. Besides QB, the Niners need a whole mess of players...I know getting a somewhat experienced QB is tempting. If the asking price is reasonable, make the trade. BL is we need a lot of good players...typically the way to get them is to trade down. I know many in this forum love Garrett, and to a degree, I get it. But, we need to beef up the DL for any pass rushers to be effective. If they can get both done, fine. When the interior of our defense gets solidified, it should elevate both Armstead's and Buckner's overall play.
Share 49ersWebzone