There are 134 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo-QB-EIU

He was a really good player in college. I saw him play. He had excellent field awareness, decision making and accuracy.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Jimmy G is one of the corniest nicknames ever.
i think its a matter of time before chip goes all in and forces a trade for jimmy
Originally posted by YungAce:
i think its a matter of time before chip goes all in and forces a trade for jimmy

Won't do as well when opponents' offensive meetings are no longer bugged.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungAce:

To bad he doesn't have contractual control of the 53 man roster.
Originally posted by FL9er:

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade for Garoppolo as long as the price was reasonable.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade for Garoppolo as long as the price was reasonable.

If we finish outside the top 15, I'd give a 1st. They spent a 2nd and he's had excellent coaching in the NFL so worth it imo.
Originally posted by WINiner:

If we finish outside the top 15, I'd give a 1st. They spent a 2nd and he's had excellent coaching in the NFL so worth it imo.

No way we finish outside of the top 15 lol.

The difference is he's learned a much different offense. Watching Jimmy g run the read option would be a joke lol.

Josh McDaniels would have to come with the trade
Originally posted by WINiner:

He's only signed through 2017. He was a late 2nd round pick (pick 62) and if the Patriots let him go, there's a reason for it as Brady doesn't have that much time left. It's possible they'll try to move them if they know they can't afford to pay both Garoppolo and Brady past 2017 and expect Brady to play for a few more years.

I'd still rather keep the draft pick and use it to pay someone (Watson/Kizer/Kaaya/Kelly) way below market value than get Garoppolo for a year and risk losing him after that (or paying him a ton of money in free agency like Osweiler). We don't know how Garoppolo or a rookie would do in our offense, but at least we wouldn't have to pay the rookie $15 million per year until 2022.

Intangibles-1- Primarily lined up at running back first two years of high school. Brother Mike played football at Western Illinois. Humble and handles success well. Strong work ethic. No off-the-field issues. Hard worker on and off the field. Very good football character. Played big in biggest games. Finished career with 23-22 record as a starter, but was 19-7 in final two seasons. Only lost two games as a senior: at Northern Illinois (49-39) and in FCS quarterfinals to Towson (completed 76-percent with 321 yards with 2 TDs and no INTs). Also beat bowl-bound San Diego State by 21 points.

Mental Makeup-2-Mentally and physically tough. Confident player and highly competitive. Very good football IQ. Picked up new offense (new staff) quickly and has strong retention skills. Shows ability to elevate his play  and play of teammates  in biggest games and in toughest situations. Effective when playing from behind. Understands situations and how to manage the game. Displays fast eyes on tape. Very decisive. Manipulates coverage with eyes and pump fakes. Has some 'gunslinger' in him. Will make some overly aggressive decisions and take some unnecessary risks on occasion

Accuracy-2-Good anticipation. Will throw receivers open. Displays good touch on short-to-intermediate throws. Will take zip off fastball and knows how to lead receivers' to yards after catch. Capable of making accurate off balance throws when necessary. Flashes ability to drop ball into bucket on red zone fades. Deep accuracy is adequate but will need to improve. Has a tendency to miss high inside strike zone on throws over the middle. Can improve consistency on rail shots to his left (more accurate down right sideline). Average accuracy on second-reaction throws. Needs to be more consistent with mechanics when throwing off-platform. Has a lot of developmental potential if he gets with the right coach in the NFL.

NFL Release/ArmStrength-2-Excellent release quickness. Eyes are married to feet, so almost always in position to pull trigger. Shows ability to effectively alter arm angle when necessary. Occasionally fails to transfer weight from back to front, which results in ball floating. But when he gets good hip rotation and follows through on throws, he shows good velocity on fast ball. Has no trouble driving the ball into wind. Has proven capable of making all the throws in snow/ice. Overall velocity is a notch below elite but above NFL average.

Pocket Mobility-2-Quick feet on drops. Shows urgency on drops and when maneuvering in pocket. Above average athlete for position. Steps up to avoid pressure off the edge and can side-step interior pressure. Flashes ability to spin away from defenders and has good flexibility to adjust body in order to get ball out. Doesn't appear to have great feel for backside pressure. Can be too quick to tuck ball at times. Won't make many miss when he takes off running but shows good initial burst and adequate top-end speed for position. Also is competitive, yet smart runner (knows when and how to slide).

Bumping this.

• jcs
  • Veteran

Intangibles-1- Primarily lined up at running back first two years of high school. Brother Mike played football at Western Illinois. Humble and handles success well. Strong work ethic. No off-the-field issues. Hard worker on and off the field. Very good football character. Played big in biggest games. Finished career with 23-22 record as a starter, but was 19-7 in final two seasons. Only lost two games as a senior: at Northern Illinois (49-39) and in FCS quarterfinals to Towson (completed 76-percent with 321 yards with 2 TDs and no INTs). Also beat bowl-bound San Diego State by 21 points.

Mental Makeup-2-Mentally and physically tough. Confident player and highly competitive. Very good football IQ. Picked up new offense (new staff) quickly and has strong retention skills. Shows ability to elevate his play  and play of teammates  in biggest games and in toughest situations. Effective when playing from behind. Understands situations and how to manage the game. Displays fast eyes on tape. Very decisive. Manipulates coverage with eyes and pump fakes. Has some 'gunslinger' in him. Will make some overly aggressive decisions and take some unnecessary risks on occasion

Accuracy-2-Good anticipation. Will throw receivers open. Displays good touch on short-to-intermediate throws. Will take zip off fastball and knows how to lead receivers' to yards after catch. Capable of making accurate off balance throws when necessary. Flashes ability to drop ball into bucket on red zone fades. Deep accuracy is adequate but will need to improve. Has a tendency to miss high inside strike zone on throws over the middle. Can improve consistency on rail shots to his left (more accurate down right sideline). Average accuracy on second-reaction throws. Needs to be more consistent with mechanics when throwing off-platform. Has a lot of developmental potential if he gets with the right coach in the NFL.

NFL Release/ArmStrength-2-Excellent release quickness. Eyes are married to feet, so almost always in position to pull trigger. Shows ability to effectively alter arm angle when necessary. Occasionally fails to transfer weight from back to front, which results in ball floating. But when he gets good hip rotation and follows through on throws, he shows good velocity on fast ball. Has no trouble driving the ball into wind. Has proven capable of making all the throws in snow/ice. Overall velocity is a notch below elite but above NFL average.

Pocket Mobility-2-Quick feet on drops. Shows urgency on drops and when maneuvering in pocket. Above average athlete for position. Steps up to avoid pressure off the edge and can side-step interior pressure. Flashes ability to spin away from defenders and has good flexibility to adjust body in order to get ball out. Doesn't appear to have great feel for backside pressure. Can be too quick to tuck ball at times. Won't make many miss when he takes off running but shows good initial burst and adequate top-end speed for position. Also is competitive, yet smart runner (knows when and how to slide).

Bumping this.

He's also a lot further ahead as a QB than any rookie coming out this year. If he works out the results will come quick.

Bumping this.

This scouting report I think would satisfy both sides of the debate (Garrett vs. franchise QB). The only negative I see with Jimmy G is that you have to be prepared to make a financial commitment since he only has a year left on his deal. But given what we've seen from the offense this season, a consistently accurate QB would easily be picking up a lot of the extra yards, first downs, and points that have been left on the field, in spite of our lack of playmakers on offense. Upgrading QB alone could make us an offense that could average 20-25 points per game. I personally would be willing to take the risk provided that we either can draft Myles Garrett or should Cleveland take Garrett and we have already landed Garrapolo with our 2nd, then a trade down for a boatload of picks that would allow us to pick up a few playmakers on both sides of the ball.

We also have the option of visiting QB again later in this draft and/or early next year, which we should be doing anyway. Not only do we need a starter, but we also need a high quality backup.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'm all for acquiring him. But if it takes more than our 3rd round pick (and possibly another next year) then somebody else can have him. I'd rather have the 3rd or 4th QB in this draft in the 2nd round than Garoppolo for the same pick.

We will never win a bidding war with the Browns, they are loaded with draft assets.
Originally posted by okdkid:
I'm all for acquiring him. But if it takes more than our 3rd round pick (and possibly another next year) then somebody else can have him. I'd rather have the 3rd or 4th QB in this draft in the 2nd round than Garoppolo for the same pick.

We will never win a bidding war with the Browns, they are loaded with draft assets.

If your not willing to give up more than that then your not that interested in inquiring him.

I'm fine with giving a 2nd this yr and a conditional 2nd next yr...if the Browns want to give up 1st that's a different story.

Ditto

But I feel NE will think they have us over a barrel and make the price very painful
Share 49ersWebzone