LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo-QB-EIU

He's a guy that has been talked about considerably on here, a very intriguing small-school QB prospect, basically broke all of Tony Romo's records at EIU. Today Jim Harbaugh attended his workout at Northwestern and had a private workout with him as well. He's a guy in whom Harbaugh can see a lot of similarities to himself. Tough, hard-nosed Midwestern guy with a chip on his shoulder, terrific leader out on the field, very gutsy and determined. If the 49ers were going to take him, it'd be early on in the draft but he's ultimate Kaepernick insurance in case they can't get a decent deal worked out.

I've listed his rankings of his attributes from his Scouts Inc

Intangibles-1- Primarily lined up at running back first two years of high school. Brother Mike played football at Western Illinois. Humble and handles success well. Strong work ethic. No off-the-field issues. Hard worker on and off the field. Very good football character. Played big in biggest games. Finished career with 23-22 record as a starter, but was 19-7 in final two seasons. Only lost two games as a senior: at Northern Illinois (49-39) and in FCS quarterfinals to Towson (completed 76-percent with 321 yards with 2 TDs and no INTs). Also beat bowl-bound San Diego State by 21 points.

Mental Makeup-2-Mentally and physically tough. Confident player and highly competitive. Very good football IQ. Picked up new offense (new staff) quickly and has strong retention skills. Shows ability to elevate his play  and play of teammates  in biggest games and in toughest situations. Effective when playing from behind. Understands situations and how to manage the game. Displays fast eyes on tape. Very decisive. Manipulates coverage with eyes and pump fakes. Has some 'gunslinger' in him. Will make some overly aggressive decisions and take some unnecessary risks on occasion

Accuracy-2-Good anticipation. Will throw receivers open. Displays good touch on short-to-intermediate throws. Will take zip off fastball and knows how to lead receivers' to yards after catch. Capable of making accurate off balance throws when necessary. Flashes ability to drop ball into bucket on red zone fades. Deep accuracy is adequate but will need to improve. Has a tendency to miss high inside strike zone on throws over the middle. Can improve consistency on rail shots to his left (more accurate down right sideline). Average accuracy on second-reaction throws. Needs to be more consistent with mechanics when throwing off-platform. Has a lot of developmental potential if he gets with the right coach in the NFL.

NFL Release/ArmStrength-2-Excellent release quickness. Eyes are married to feet, so almost always in position to pull trigger. Shows ability to effectively alter arm angle when necessary. Occasionally fails to transfer weight from back to front, which results in ball floating. But when he gets good hip rotation and follows through on throws, he shows good velocity on fast ball. Has no trouble driving the ball into wind. Has proven capable of making all the throws in snow/ice. Overall velocity is a notch below elite but above NFL average.

Pocket Mobility-2-Quick feet on drops. Shows urgency on drops and when maneuvering in pocket. Above average athlete for position. Steps up to avoid pressure off the edge and can side-step interior pressure. Flashes ability to spin away from defenders and has good flexibility to adjust body in order to get ball out. Doesn't appear to have great feel for backside pressure. Can be too quick to tuck ball at times. Won't make many miss when he takes off running but shows good initial burst and adequate top-end speed for position. Also is competitive, yet smart runner (knows when and how to slide).

I wouldn't mind us taken him at all I just think it would have to be way early 2nd round ...I would worry about what kinda message it would send to Keap though...Maybe a blow to that 18 million dollar askin price also. .
I can see teams like Houston, Jax or Oakland trading back into the late 1st to grab him. Could be an opportunity for us to trade back into the early 2nd and pick up a few more chips.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I can see teams like Houston, Jax or Oakland trading back into the late 1st to grab him. Could be an opportunity for us to trade back into the early 2nd and pick up a few more chips.

Houston also had a private workout with him. I think if a team wants him bad enough, they'd move up into the 1st, so it could be additional leverage for the 49ers, that said, I definitely get the feeling that they will be looking at a QB earlier rather than later.
Lol and cue the Mike Florio "Niners trying to get rid of Kaepernick" article in 3, 2, 1....
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Houston also had a private workout with him. I think if a team wants him bad enough, they'd move up into the 1st, so it could be additional leverage for the 49ers, that said, I definitely get the feeling that they will be looking at a QB earlier rather than later.

My brain hurts from my stats class so you might be saying the same thing I'm posting but I'll post it anyway

The 49ers and Texans both paced Garoppolo through private workouts prior to his pro day, Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reported.

From MM.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Hmmmm: Houston Texans HC Bill O'Brien at Northwestern for Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo's Pro Day.

Megan Mawicke ‏@MeganMawicke
@AdamSchefter he worked Garopolo this morning privately & was told met with him last night too
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

Jim scouts Jimmy: #49ers, Harbaugh have private workout with small-school QB.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/03/04/jim-scouts-jimmy-harbaugh-attends-qb-garoppolos-pro-day/
Somewhere right now, Idaho is smiling. I know he loves this kid as a QB.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm

Jim Harbaugh told me on Jimmy Garoppolo: "Quick release, yes, but sometimes too quick. You want to see him go through whole motion." #49ers

Originally posted by Jcool:
Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm

Jim Harbaugh told me on Jimmy Garoppolo: "Quick release, yes, but sometimes too quick. You want to see him go through whole motion." #49ers

Interesting... the perfect backup...

or the perfect replacement
You stole the words out of my mouth Phoenix. I posted something very similar the other day. Fact of the matter is that if Harbaugh stays in SF, we'll continue to play smash mouth/grind it out football. I love CK but do we pay him 15-18MM per year when the Niners don't rely on their QBs (how many times have we heard the term "Game Manager") as much as do most other teams?

The argument could be made to draft a young buck QB like Garopolo and get another 4 years of cheap QB salary and sign Crabtree, Aldon, Iupati etc.

Unconventional? Perhaps. But don't think for a second that the Niner management hasn't entertained this idea. Again, I'm a CK fan but I could see this happening....
Originally posted by Travisty13:

I saw him first.

Where is Idaho anyways? I haven't seen him post in a long time.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Interesting... the perfect backup...

or the perfect replacement

If Harbaugh truly wanted to run more of West Coast oriented offense, Garoppolo fits that to a T. Quick release, accurate, quick feet, doesn't get frazzled too easily in the pocket, very decisive, reads defense's well...etc.

As a backup, he'd be outstanding, a perfectly capable starter in case ever Kaepernick went down.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

I saw him first.

Where is Idaho anyways? I haven't seen him post in a long time.

You may have, but Idaho fallen in love first lol. To be honest, I'm not sure. You're right I haven't seen him in here in awhile.
Share 49ersWebzone