There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which WR would you select between these two?

Which WR would you select between these two?

If we don't land DeSean Jackson, then it looks like Brandin Cooks time
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Honestly, I think Evans would be an incredible deep threat for us even though he doesn't have elite speed. You can send him down the field and there are very few CB's in the league who could cover him without help over the top. He made Manziel look really good by just out jumping the defense and coming up with almost every contested ball in college. He'd also be unbelievable in the red zone with his height, arm length, vertical, and ability to high point the ball. Evans will be a better red zone threat than anyone currently on our roster and that can make a difference as we've seen the past 2 seasons.

Cooks is faster, but Evans' jump ball ability makes him almost as big of a downfield threat and a much better red zone threat. He's also a much better blocker which matters in this offense.

If somehow both of these guys were available at 30 or we traded up and got a choice, I would take Evans and pick up a slot receiver and/or returner later. Cooks fills a bigger need (slot receiver), but I wouldn't draft strictly for need in the first round.

Cooks has a better vertical and bench press than Evans and I feel like he'll become a better blocker overtime , And while it would make sense to say that Evans may match-up better vs. Seattle, i've found tht that isn't necessarily true. Cooks(5'10) is very close in size to T.Y Hilton(5'9). When the colts played Seattle, Hilton gashed them for 5 catches on 6 targets for 140yrds and 2TDs. Steve Smith had 6 catches for 51yd and a TD, Chris Givens had 4 catches for 59yrds, Kendall Wright had 5 catches for 69yrds so I mean, its not exactly a size thing.
I feel that at some point, we're gonna have to realize that having a receiver that can get a big gain for a 30-40yrd TD is just as good as having a RZ WR tht can score from 10yrds out. If we never make it to the redzone bcuz we're scoring from so far out on big plays, then I mean, 7 points is 7 points. When our receivers becomes better threats, maybe we wont have such a problem running the ball in the RZ.
It also has to do with the routes being put together too though. I would take Cooks over Evans if we were talking about for the sake of picking a player, but because its clear that the Niners don't know how to utilize quick players(LMJ, KW, Hunter), their strengths would be wasted.

Be careful with the vertical and bench press numbers as a comparison. Even if Cooks had a higher vertical, that doesn't mean he has the catch radius and can get to the highest point. Evans has the longest arms of all receivers which makes his bench press numbers more difficult than a guy with short arms like Cooks. I agree with you on the rest of your points though and I like them both.

Sidenote: I have said it over and over, but I would rather take Jordan Matthews than these guys and not give up a lot of picks to do so.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Honestly, I think Evans would be an incredible deep threat for us even though he doesn't have elite speed. You can send him down the field and there are very few CB's in the league who could cover him without help over the top. He made Manziel look really good by just out jumping the defense and coming up with almost every contested ball in college. He'd also be unbelievable in the red zone with his height, arm length, vertical, and ability to high point the ball. Evans will be a better red zone threat than anyone currently on our roster and that can make a difference as we've seen the past 2 seasons.

Cooks is faster, but Evans' jump ball ability makes him almost as big of a downfield threat and a much better red zone threat. He's also a much better blocker which matters in this offense.

If somehow both of these guys were available at 30 or we traded up and got a choice, I would take Evans and pick up a slot receiver and/or returner later. Cooks fills a bigger need (slot receiver), but I wouldn't draft strictly for need in the first round.

Cooks has a better vertical and bench press than Evans and I feel like he'll become a better blocker overtime , And while it would make sense to say that Evans may match-up better vs. Seattle, i've found tht that isn't necessarily true. Cooks(5'10) is very close in size to T.Y Hilton(5'9). When the colts played Seattle, Hilton gashed them for 5 catches on 6 targets for 140yrds and 2TDs. Steve Smith had 6 catches for 51yd and a TD, Chris Givens had 4 catches for 59yrds, Kendall Wright had 5 catches for 69yrds so I mean, its not exactly a size thing.
I feel that at some point, we're gonna have to realize that having a receiver that can get a big gain for a 30-40yrd TD is just as good as having a RZ WR tht can score from 10yrds out. If we never make it to the redzone bcuz we're scoring from so far out on big plays, then I mean, 7 points is 7 points. When our receivers becomes better threats, maybe we wont have such a problem running the ball in the RZ.
It also has to do with the routes being put together too though. I would take Cooks over Evans if we were talking about for the sake of picking a player, but because its clear that the Niners don't know how to utilize quick players(LMJ, KW, Hunter), their strengths would be wasted.

Be careful with the vertical and bench press numbers as a comparison. Even if Cooks had a higher vertical, that doesn't mean he has the catch radius and can get to the highest point. Evans has the longest arms of all receivers which makes his bench press numbers more difficult than a guy with short arms like Cooks. I agree with you on the rest of your points though and I like them both.

Sidenote: I have said it over and over, but I would rather take Jordan Matthews than these guys and not give up a lot of picks to do so.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Cooks has a better vertical and bench press than Evans and I feel like he'll become a better blocker overtime , And while it would make sense to say that Evans may match-up better vs. Seattle, i've found tht that isn't necessarily true. Cooks(5'10) is very close in size to T.Y Hilton(5'9). When the colts played Seattle, Hilton gashed them for 5 catches on 6 targets for 140yrds and 2TDs. Steve Smith had 6 catches for 51yd and a TD, Chris Givens had 4 catches for 59yrds, Kendall Wright had 5 catches for 69yrds so I mean, its not exactly a size thing.
I feel that at some point, we're gonna have to realize that having a receiver that can get a big gain for a 30-40yrd TD is just as good as having a RZ WR tht can score from 10yrds out. If we never make it to the redzone bcuz we're scoring from so far out on big plays, then I mean, 7 points is 7 points. When our receivers becomes better threats, maybe we wont have such a problem running the ball in the RZ.
It also has to do with the routes being put together too though. I would take Cooks over Evans if we were talking about for the sake of picking a player, but because its clear that the Niners don't know how to utilize quick players(LMJ, KW, Hunter), their strengths would be wasted.

I'm not sure why you highlighted that particular part in my quote - Evans will always be the better jump ball threat and blocker. Evans had a bigger vertical than Cooks at the combine (37" to 36"). This doesn't really matter anyways because the vertical only measures the difference between standing reach and jumping reach. It would be much nicer if rather than just showing the vertical jump, if the standing and jumping reach were widely available because it doesn't always match up the way you would expect (some guys have higher shoulders). Given their height and arm length, Evans' standing reach should be almost a full foot higher than Cooks' and his catch radius is much larger. Reps of 225 on the bench press does not make someone a great blocker - Cooks will probably always struggle here with his short arms, but hopefully he puts in more effort there at the next level.

I'm not sure who the better fit would be against Seattle, but I think Evans is easily the better player and would help the 49ers more overall (they need a slot receiver but if they took Evans, they would move Boldin to the slot). Evans also gives them a deep threat with his jump ball ability and reasonable speed, but would cost more to trade up for. Seattle is built to cover big receivers, but Evans has unique size and will be one of the few players who can consistently beat Sherman in jump balls in my opinion. To beat a CB, you either need to be faster/quicker, smarter (unlikely against Sherman), or bigger/more physical. Evans is one of the few receivers who physically overwhelms Sherman and we saw how aggressive/physical he was going for jump balls at Texas A&M. I saw this comment the other day, but don't understand how anyone who watched Texas A&M play more than once thinks Manziel is the reason Evans was successful. Manziel regularly lobbed passes in Evans' general area (passes that almost any QB could make) and Evans would come down with it against multiple defenders.
Someone watch this video, and then tell me what Mike Evans is going to do against the Seahawks secondary in the NFL.

80% (And I'm being very generous) of the contested footballs, were either dropped, defended, or otherwise incomplete. I could count maybe THREE catches made from contested balls. Three. And probably two dozen incomplete passes.
Sure, he caught the ones placed into his lap, but I don't see anything special about this guy, besides the fact that he is big.


Originally posted by BrianGO:
Someone watch this video, and then tell me what Mike Evans is going to do against the Seahawks secondary in the NFL.

80% (And I'm being very generous) of the contested footballs, were either dropped, defended, or otherwise incomplete. I could count maybe THREE catches made from contested balls. Three. And probably two dozen incomplete passes.
Sure, he caught the ones placed into his lap, but I don't see anything special about this guy, besides the fact that he is big.



http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics

says he has one of the lowest drop rates. 4.29%


Originally posted by Jakemall:
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics

says he has one of the lowest drop rates. 4.29%




Great for rotoworld.

How about eyeworld? The video shows him playing against quality teams, and I'm not seeing any natural, or effortless ability to catch the football.

Contrast this with the LSU receivers, who make circus catches, and sometimes make it look easy.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics

says he has one of the lowest drop rates. 4.29%




Great for rotoworld.

How about eyeworld? The video shows him playing against quality teams, and I'm not seeing any natural, or effortless ability to catch the football.

Contrast this with the LSU receivers, who make circus catches, and sometimes make it look easy.


I'm not going to watch every single target made on the guy. That's why there are draft sites. :) Eyeworld can have a bias. Stats typically don't unless they're simply useless stats. You could argue that. I can't speak to his "circus catches" but he's not dropping the poouch when it is there...and statiscally he's making all the catches and getting good yac afterwards. He also has a lot of come backcatches..which means he's paying attention to his QB when he needs the WR to break off a route.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 915
Because it's such a copy cat league everyone is going to try and get big physical corners like Seattle. So we need one of each. A speed guy who can get open quick and a big physical type . Crabtree is good but he isn't a good route runner and had poor body control. IMO
Evans would be costly to trade up and get...both he and Benjamin are intriguing because of their size. Truth be told, I'd rather get Matthews, because nobody can approach his body of work in their college careers. Beyond that, he's got the best work ethic around...being Jerry Rice's cousin sure doesn't hurt. Boldin's on a 2-yr contract...Crabtree's going into the last year of his rookie contract. A Matthews or Adams would be great insurance when Boldin hangs up his cleats. I'm pretty confident Baalke can sign MC to an extension...but if not, getting a couple of big WR's who can run now insures Kap will have able WR's to throw to.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by valrod33:
How about a guy who is tall and fast?





Also i dont get the Evans=Moss comparison

I want Moncrief & Martavias Bryant

Me too!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by valrod33:
How about a guy who is tall and fast?





Also i dont get the Evans=Moss comparison

I want Moncrief & Martavias Bryant

ME 2
Who are the guys with the longest arms and good speed?
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by valrod33:
How about a guy who is tall and fast?





Also i dont get the Evans=Moss comparison

I want Moncrief & Martavias Bryant

ME 2

ME 3..
I'll take Cooks over Evans any day of the week.