There are 155 users in the forums

most important need?

Everyone is saying wr but I feel our biggest need that had to be addressed in the first round is db and DL. Let's not forget the last 2 seasons the last game for us , we have been burned by a wr. Against the ravens and Seattle. We need DL help to stop lynch n pressure Wilson.or a db who can actually cover. We can get a wr in the second.
I believe our offense is a greater need than defense. Defense we were ranked top 5, our offense was 30th. The passing game must be better than 30th in the league, WR is more of a need than DB.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
I believe our offense is a greater need than defense. Defense we were ranked top 5, our offense was 30th. The passing game must be better than 30th in the league, WR is more of a need than DB.

Wasn't our secondary responsible for whiffing on that 40 yd td scamper by Lynch, the big pass play to Baldwin, and of course the 4th and 1 td pass to Kearse?
We don't use the wide recievers that we do have right now. Were a run first offense and that's the way it will be next year also. We need to get DL and DB in the draft first and than wide recievers. Our defense is our bread and butter. It keeps us in the game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Between a DL, DB or WR take who ever is rated the highest at 30 and repeat for rounds two and three.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersfansorsure:
We don't use the wide recievers that we do have right now. Were a run first offense and that's the way it will be next year also. We need to get DL and DB in the draft first and than wide recievers. Our defense is our bread and butter. It keeps us in the game.

I know these things. But the passing game can't be neglected again, the defense can do only so much. The offense has to get better especially through the air. We can still have a run first mentality, but that also can't be the only thing we excel at. A better passing game will also help the run game, food for thought. Take GB for example, they had an excellent running game with Lacy and of course Aaron Rodgers and his passing. I'm not suggesting we follow the Packers offensive scheme, but they were in the top 5 of both running and passing in terms of yards. The passing game needs to produce more than it did last year. We need to diversify the offense, and we can't be ranked 30-32nd in the passing game.
As much as I hate to say it but I feel kaepernick needs to just put in the work and study time and passing in the pocket and reading his 1st 2nd 3rd recievers. If he can improve more on pocket awareness our offense is flush with good talent. I.e Davis gore crabs boldin. Lattimore coming in.
Our #1 need is in the secondary, think about what we're set to lose this year. At CB we're looking at losing T.Brown, possibly C.Rogers & it's very likely we'll lose our SS Whitner. We need to reload in the secondary, Culliver is not a sure thing coming back from major injury and we're very thin at corner and aside from Reid, we're really thin at safety.

I agree WR isn't a huge need for the 2014 season since it looks like Boldin will be resigned before FA starts, but he's got 2-3 years left tops and Crabs is entering his final year on his contract w/no guarantee he'll be back after that. Patton is an unknown and we have nothing after those 3 guys, we need at least one, hopefully speedy playmaker at receiver. We saw what happened to the offense when Crabs went down this year, we have to avoid that going into next season while setting up for the future making receiver the #2 priority in my mind.

I really don't see the DL as a need. All our starters will be back, Ian Williams is coming back from injury, TJE looked good last year, if we want him back Dobbs will be cheap and we're getting Tank and Dial. Our depth chart is good at NT: Dorsey, Williams, Dial, DE: J.Smith, Ray Mac, TJE, Tank & maybe Dobbs. I'm all for adding a DL or 2 in the mid to later rounds but we don't need one early.

IMO we need to spend our 1st and two 2nd round picks on 2 DBs and a receiver. In the third round depending on what happens with Whitner we may need to add yet another DB and another WR wouldn't hurt. Then we can start to address other needs like the DL, OL depth, backup QB.
We have a lot of talent coming off injury and/or guys with a year of experience under their belts (i.e. Lattimore, Carradine, Dial, Patton, Lemonier, McDonald, even Culliverand Ian WIlliams). We will need to fortify 2 positions and that is CB and WR using the BPA method. Harbaalke have us headed in the right direction. We have a lot of picks and this is the deepest draft (some analysts say in the last 30 years). We do not have 12 or 13 needs on our team. I expect us to utilize our picks to jump up and get the guys that stand out to us or trade for future picks.
We need at least two or three rookie Impact players. Doesn't matter what position.
Remember we have two D-lineman dial, okoye and carridine and RD Lattimore we consider rookies coming off of injury.

Originally posted by okla_sooners:
Everyone is saying wr but I feel our biggest need that had to be addressed in the first round is db and DL. Let's not forget the last 2 seasons the last game for us , we have been burned by a wr. Against the ravens and Seattle. We need DL help to stop lynch n pressure Wilson.or a db who can actually cover. We can get a wr in the second.

Disagree--the niners were in position to win both games but couldn't complete a pass in the RZ with several chances. Both low scoring games--the D did their job.

Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:

Passing game will always be lower than the D due to the nature of Harbaugh's run first system, but I agree they need to have more WRs who can make a difference in tight games. If they didn't get hurt all the time we would be in good shape with Crabtree, Manningham, Boldin and Patton...but would still have an opening or two.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM ]
I agree with a playmaker on offense is a need. I just feel we can get one in the second or even third. I'm reading a lot of reports that put kelvin Benjamin in the second round. We can move up in the 2nd to grab a huge red zone receiver like that. We really do need a big red zone target and he fits that bill for sure. But with our first pick I for sure want to see us getting someone like cb fuller, or even Calvin pryor. I would love to his Sherman try to bat a rezone jump ball away from we Benjamin though. I want him in the second.
I agree with a playmaker on offense is a need. I just feel we can get one in the second or even third. I'm reading a lot of reports that put kelvin Benjamin in the second round. We can move up in the 2nd to grab a huge red zone receiver like that. We really do need a big red zone target and he fits that bill for sure. But with our first pick I for sure want to see us getting someone like cb fuller, or even Calvin pryor. I would love to his Sherman try to bat a rezone jump ball away from we Benjamin though. I want him in the second.

If the pass was short enough then Sherman could bat a redzone ball away from Kelvin Benjamin. I think that the Niners will pick one or two WRs in the draft and we have other positions to fill and backfield will take 2-4 picks - 2-3 CBs and 1-2 safeties.

Is Aaron Donald a pick we could live with in a 3-4 defense or is he only a good NFL player in a 4-3 defense?
I think one of the picks in 2nd round should be a offensive guard/center. I have some deep concerns about Kilgore and Iupati (hopefully they will do well, but I'd like to see a highly rated OG/C added to the team - cheaper through drafting than through free agency). I'm with a lot of other people, though, in thinking the 1st round pick and one of the 2nd round picks should be a cornerback and a wide receiver.
Share 49ersWebzone