There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My 49er First Round: Four Facts

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The 49ers may not move up in the draft. With the depth of this draft they may stand pat or even possibly move back in round 1 for a 2015 pick.

Players that could be available at #30 include Verrett and Mathews and possibly Cooks. They may even target the DL and go for CB's and WR's in rounds 2 and 3 becuase there are so many quality players at those positions. I would love to see the 49ers get Verrett in rd 1 and Donte Moncrief in rd 2 plus maybe a safety or OL or DL then get another WR and CB in rd 3 and still have our comp pick and 4th rd pick to get a couple more premium players.

I believe they will move up with 10+ picks and only about 4 or 5 roster spots open we can't keep all the draft picks imo
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The 49ers may not move up in the draft. With the depth of this draft they may stand pat or even possibly move back in round 1 for a 2015 pick.

Players that could be available at #30 include Verrett and Mathews and possibly Cooks. They may even target the DL and go for CB's and WR's in rounds 2 and 3 becuase there are so many quality players at those positions. I would love to see the 49ers get Verrett in rd 1 and Donte Moncrief in rd 2 plus maybe a safety or OL or DL then get another WR and CB in rd 3 and still have our comp pick and 4th rd pick to get a couple more premium players.

I believe they will move up with 10+ picks and only about 4 or 5 roster spots open we can't keep all the draft picks imo
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The 49ers may not move up in the draft. With the depth of this draft they may stand pat or even possibly move back in round 1 for a 2015 pick.

Players that could be available at #30 include Verrett and Mathews and possibly Cooks. They may even target the DL and go for CB's and WR's in rounds 2 and 3 becuase there are so many quality players at those positions. I would love to see the 49ers get Verrett in rd 1 and Donte Moncrief in rd 2 plus maybe a safety or OL or DL then get another WR and CB in rd 3 and still have our comp pick and 4th rd pick to get a couple more premium players.

I believe they will move up with 10+ picks and only about 4 or 5 roster spots open we can't keep all the draft picks imo

It all just depends. If there is 1 player they target they probably would move up. Last year safety topped everything. This year we could go DL or CB or Safety or WR. With multiple options we might see 4-5 players we would be happy to draft at #20 so why move up 10 spots. We could sit back and see who is left at #25 and if there are still 3 or more sit tight and if it's down to 1 or 2 use a 4th or 5th round pick to move up a few spots. It just depends on how the draft falls. With so many picks and multiple targeted needs there are many ways to go.
i think i'm going to taco bell...
Originally posted by matt49er:
#1 I'm starting to think you're right about this one, heard on NFL Radio that the cap could be 150+M in a couple years, that means we probably can fit Kaep, Crabs, Aldon (maybe even Iupati) into our future salary structure. Boldin is a short term signing so maybe we can bring back Whitner, my personal hope is that he doesn't get the contract he wants in FA, signs here for 1 year, we draft a safety in the 2nd round and replace him in 2015.

#2 Absolutely dead on

#3 Why trade down? Yes this is a deep draft but we need impact players especially in the DB, I think we're more likely to trade up in the 1st to get our guy (and I'm hoping we somehow land Justin Gilbert)

#4 Probably right, again, I think we trade up a few times and maybe trade out some for more picks next year.

As long as they aren't all 6-7th round picks lol. We all know Baalke and his penchant for late round picks.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Fact: This was his first post ever

Didn't the zone used to have a post minimum before you could start a thread? Might be helpful lol
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Originally posted by matt49er:
#1 I'm starting to think you're right about this one, heard on NFL Radio that the cap could be 150+M in a couple years, that means we probably can fit Kaep, Crabs, Aldon (maybe even Iupati) into our future salary structure. Boldin is a short term signing so maybe we can bring back Whitner, my personal hope is that he doesn't get the contract he wants in FA, signs here for 1 year, we draft a safety in the 2nd round and replace him in 2015.

#2 Absolutely dead on

#3 Why trade down? Yes this is a deep draft but we need impact players especially in the DB, I think we're more likely to trade up in the 1st to get our guy (and I'm hoping we somehow land Justin Gilbert)

#4 Probably right, again, I think we trade up a few times and maybe trade out some for more picks next year.

As long as they aren't all 6-7th round picks lol. We all know Baalke and his penchant for late round picks.

he does love them, but in fairness he's found some good players late in the draft
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The 49ers may not move up in the draft. With the depth of this draft they may stand pat or even possibly move back in round 1 for a 2015 pick.

Players that could be available at #30 include Verrett and Mathews and possibly Cooks. They may even target the DL and go for CB's and WR's in rounds 2 and 3 becuase there are so many quality players at those positions. I would love to see the 49ers get Verrett in rd 1 and Donte Moncrief in rd 2 plus maybe a safety or OL or DL then get another WR and CB in rd 3 and still have our comp pick and 4th rd pick to get a couple more premium players.

I believe they will move up with 10+ picks and only about 4 or 5 roster spots open we can't keep all the draft picks imo

It all just depends. If there is 1 player they target they probably would move up. Last year safety topped everything. This year we could go DL or CB or Safety or WR. With multiple options we might see 4-5 players we would be happy to draft at #20 so why move up 10 spots. We could sit back and see who is left at #25 and if there are still 3 or more sit tight and if it's down to 1 or 2 use a 4th or 5th round pick to move up a few spots. It just depends on how the draft falls. With so many picks and multiple targeted needs there are many ways to go.

Very true all depends on the free agent signings as well factor in
The problem with both Dennard and Verrett is not only their relatively small overall size, but both are short-armed CB's and Baalke's just not likely to pull the trigger on either guy. It's well documented he loves long armed players, and CB's certainly no exception. A more likely pick is Kyle Fuller, who has almost 33 " arms and is an excellent all-around CB. Probably wouldn't need to trade up (vice down) to get him, either.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
I believe they will move up with 10+ picks and only about 4 or 5 roster spots open we can't keep all the draft picks imo

Or the traditional Baalke thing to do is to trade for more picks in upcoming drafts
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The problem with both Dennard and Verrett is not only their relatively small overall size, but both are short-armed CB's and Baalke's just not likely to pull the trigger on either guy. It's well documented he loves long armed players, and CB's certainly no exception. A more likely pick is Kyle Fuller, who has almost 33 " arms and is an excellent all-around CB. Probably wouldn't need to trade up (vice down) to get him, either.

I LOVE Fuller, but I think his combine performance moved him into the teens
1. For all the FACT comments, it was meant to create discussion. If ESPN were held to this standard for their "FACT or FICTION" segments, ESPN would have far fewer viewers. I hope you would trust in the ability to distinguish.
2. Now to the content: it seems most people like Verrett, so no need to defend that choice. However, Dennard has been getting knocked. The thing that stands out so much about him is his ability to place close man to man coverage. Look at the passer rating when throwing in his direction. Look at the completion percent. In the right system, as I pointed out, he could be fantastic. How many times in the Seattle game on third and long did our corners (this was Fangio's design flaw) line up 8 or 10 yards off the line of scrimmage when the Seahawks would only need 6 or 7 yards. Each time a simple slant or short post pattern would get just the amount needed. We need a corner who excels at tight man to man. He is that by far more than any corner in the draft.
3. An extra thought: considering the cap is much higher and is similarly expected to go up in the next few years, how important is it to find cheap players through the draft so that extending guys like Kaepernick will not devastate your future wiggle room. With as many picks as we have and with the ability to trade back into next year's draft, well done Baalke!