There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

CB/S Dontae Johnson

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He sucks.

Was channeling my inner susweel there. I haven't seen enough of N.C. State to really make any sort of determination on him, but as you mentioned, he has some nice measurables. He's had some very good games from what I can see, shut down Campanaro, seems to have have done well against slot receivers, certainly has good size for a safety.

Can one of you guys make a thread specifically discussing the Corners we drafted?
Originally posted by dGilleran:
Innocent question, as I thought Desir would be a steal at this pick. Why'd we take Johnson over Desir?

Desir wasn't there. 2 picks earlier to the Browns
  • DeUh
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Originally posted by dGilleran:
Innocent question, as I thought Desir would be a steal at this pick. Why'd we take Johnson over Desir?

Desir wasn't there. 2 picks earlier to the Browns

Johnson is the better fit for our scheme IMO. Also younger and more athletic.
Originally posted by Gramsey2014:
Can one of you guys make a thread specifically discussing the Corners we drafted?

I'll have to ask OnTheClock since he's the only one who seems to have seen any of Reaser, but I think it can be done.
I don't know much about the smaller school corners but here's a blurb on Johnson from the ourlads guide, listed as free safety.

Two-year starter who has experience as a corner safety and a hybrid 4-2-5 linebacker. Demonstrated good run support skills at the senior bowl. Drives quickly on the ball. Physical setting the edge and keeping contain. Good ball skills and short area quickness. Has the speed to play center field. A developing size and speed propsect who will provide depth and help on special teams coverage.
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 11m
#49ers agreed to terms on a deal with 4th-rd pick CB Donate Johnson, per source.

Bill Williamson ‏@BWilliamsonESPN 7m
#49ers Dontae Johnson would be fourth pick to sign. Eight more to go
[ Edited by Harbaalke on May 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
#49ers agreed to terms on a deal with 4th-rd pick CB Donate Johnson, per source.

I remember what an adventure signings used to be and how long of a process it could be, since the new CBA they've streamlined the heck out of it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

I remember what an adventure signings used to be and how long of a process it could be, since the new CBA they've streamlined the heck out of it.

Right. There used to be no reason to sign early, because the longer you wait, the more desperate the team gets.

Crabtree would be a free agent this year if his stupid agent hadn't screwed up his rookie year contract negotiations, and Parker is STILL his agent? Obviously, neither of them are the sharpest knifes in the drawer. The fact the Parker was not punished for this act, is discouraging, because it implies that he did nothing wrong with the hold-out, when in fact, he has cost his client money.
[ Edited by BrianGO on May 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Watched the draftbreakdown tape on this guy a couple days ago. He is a great tackler , great in run support but definatly can get beat in coverage.
I never understood the love for Desir.

Draft picks are signing so quick now too because the draft was 2 weeks later than usual.
Originally posted by Andra:
Watched the draftbreakdown tape on this guy a couple days ago. He is a great tackler , great in run support but definatly can get beat in coverage.

I like him as a developmental guy and his size and athleticism are what got him picked in the 4th. In terms of on-the-field value, he was probably a late 5th. I liked his measurables, but Johnson gave up inside leverage too often. He will definitely need to be coached up. He is a case of a player who the 49ers will try to develop at CB and if he doesn't work out there, he will likely wind up moving to safety.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Andra:

I like him as a developmental guy and his size and athleticism are what got him picked in the 4th. In terms of on-the-field value, he was probably a late 5th. I liked his measurables, but Johnson gave up inside leverage too often. He will definitely need to be coached up. He is a case of a player who the 49ers will try to develop at CB and if he doesn't work out there, he will likely wind up moving to safety.

You are right about giving up inside leverage but I do like what I saw from him ,hope he develops
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Right. There used to be no reason to sign early, because the longer you wait, the more desperate the team gets.

Crabtree would be a free agent this year if his stupid agent hadn't screwed up his rookie year contract negotiations, and Parker is STILL his agent? Obviously, neither of them are the sharpest knifes in the drawer. The fact the Parker was not punished for this act, is discouraging, because it implies that he did nothing wrong with the hold-out, when in fact, he has cost his client money.

Parker is one of the best agents in sports. His strategy with Crab didn't end up working but imagine if it had and the 49ers had caved. The publicity would have been priceless. At the end of the day Crabtree is still rich as frack and gets a year of health before he hits FA. Not to mention how much better Crabtree ended up then DHB so maybe they had a point lol.....Nah.
Sure is going to be an interesting battle at CB this camp. Brock, Cully, Wright, Cox, Cook, Morris & Johnson.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Boom!

OK...do you have administrative previleges on this site to create posted dated threads? LOL! Nice call! Kind of scary two years in a row but way to go...even earlier than last year, with a later draft!