LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Drafting an OL player

Let me start by saying that I have never done a Mock so props to the people that do. I have seen Mocks with lineman pretty early in the draft. I dont think we should draft one before the 4th or 5th round. Ill explain why as well. The OL is the only position on the team that you dont randomly sub in. Only if there is an injury and with Kilgore extended it seems like our OL is set. Now I know Iupati seems like he is on his last year but he still has 1 yr left. Any lineman we draft is probably not gonna start unless he is an absolute stud but then he would be drafted higher. With a couple areas of need much higher I think an OL should be much later and allowed to develop but not take a pick away from a higher sooner need
OL is a bigger need than people realize IMO. Adam Snyder is the worst football player in the Milky Way galaxy, and when Iupati went down against Seattle the offense immediately started to sputter. Also, Goodwin was a liability in pass protection, and Kilgore couldn't win his job last year; so despite Kilgore getting a new contract I'm not exactly convinced he can pick up where the OL left off.

Also, the tackle class is absolutely loaded with talented players the Niners could develop into starters one day if / when one or both of the starting tackles leave. Guys like Seantrel Henderson & James Hurst are rated really low (Hurst due to injury), but they're extremely talented for later-round tackle prospects.

And the center class is actually pretty good IMO. If one of the top 2 or 3 fall to the end of the 3rd that could be a good pick up.
Normally I would agree with you but we have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds so it wouldn't be that crazy to us 1 of our 2 2nd rd picks or 1 of our 3 3rd rd picks on a Guard who can provide depth and then take over for Iupati next year with a year under his belt in our system. It depends on if the 49ers feel comfortable with looney or Snyder as back up center. Otherwise we will need to draft a back up Center and that we could probably do in the 4th-6th rd range but if Martin or Richburg is there at the end of the 3rd round with our comp pick I could see drafting them too.
If we do draft a lineman, I sure as hell hope he will be a better pass blocker rather than a run blocker. Kaep needs better pass protection so he can stand in the pocket longer and scan the field.
I really like Kap ex teammate Joel Bitonio played OT in college but plays more like a guard a nasty versatile OL that would be a fit for the 49ers probably a 2nd/3rd round prospect and performed real well at the senior bowl and combine

Mayock approves
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Normally I would agree with you but we have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds so it wouldn't be that crazy to us 1 of our 2 2nd rd picks or 1 of our 3 3rd rd picks on a Guard who can provide depth and then take over for Iupati next year with a year under his belt in our system. It depends on if the 49ers feel comfortable with looney or Snyder as back up center. Otherwise we will need to draft a back up Center and that we could probably do in the 4th-6th rd range but if Martin or Richburg is there at the end of the 3rd round with our comp pick I could see drafting them too.

I agree with line of thinking but that is also if you think we are not gonna be moving and trading picks. I really dont think we draft 7 players in the first 4 rounds I think 3 or 4. If we stay put with all our picks than by all means. Im not against an OL but like I said he has to be a 100% cant miss. There is no question mark except for center which seems like Kilgore has locked up. Similar to Ian Williams extension last year and he started at nose. The team knows what there doing and I know they say there is competition at every position but has anybody came in and started that you didnt expect. Hopefully 2015 starting Guard is already on the team Marquardt? If not I hope they position this draft to get one in next years draft
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

I agree with line of thinking but that is also if you think we are not gonna be moving and trading picks. I really dont think we draft 7 players in the first 4 rounds I think 3 or 4. If we stay put with all our picks than by all means. Im not against an OL but like I said he has to be a 100% cant miss. There is no question mark except for center which seems like Kilgore has locked up. Similar to Ian Williams extension last year and he started at nose. The team knows what there doing and I know they say there is competition at every position but has anybody came in and started that you didnt expect. Hopefully 2015 starting Guard is already on the team Marquardt? If not I hope they position this draft to get one in next years draft

We could get a CB in round 1 like Verrett. In round 2 a WR like Moncrief plus a DT or ILB. In round 3 another WR like Bryant or Landry or 1 of the speed receivers, a CB like Jean-Baptiste or Desir and a Center like Martin or a Guard. In round 4 we could target a safety and even use a later pick to move up if we need to. Players like Loston and Bailey could be available.

This is a deep draft and we might move up but then again we might stand pat or even move down because of the quality of the players in rounds 2 and 3. I would trade our 1st round pick for the 1st,15th and 30th picks in round 3 if I could. There are a lot of players that would help us.

Other than the draft that netted Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson the best draft the 49ers ever had was the one where they traded back out of round 1 and picked up a ton of picks in rounds 2-4. We ended up with players like Tom Rathman, Tim Mckyer, Charles Hailey, John Taylor and more.
I wouldn't mind us drafting three O-linemen.

A starting center.
A young guard to replace Iupati in two seasons.
A development swing tackle.

Not saying we have to get three, but at LEAST one.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

A starting center.

Yes. I like the idea of getting a bit of depth on the O line.
Snyder is miserable. We need to follow the Boone path draft a OT that can slide inside if needed. If I were a GM, I'd only draft OTs. Those big tackles that may not have the feet to play the position in the pros are ideal for the guard.

Originally posted by strickac:
Snyder is miserable. We need to follow the Boone path draft a OT that can slide inside if needed. If I were a GM, I'd only draft OTs. Those big tackles that may not have the feet to play the position in the pros are ideal for the guard.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=107653

Kenarious Gates
College: Georgia
Height: 6-4 Weight: 327
Position: OT Pos2: OG
Low: 5.09 40 Time: 5.24 40 High: 5.38
Projected Round: 7-FA

08/21/13 - OTHER GEORGIA PROSPECTS WORTH WATCHING: OT Kenarious Gates (6-5, 318, 5.24)...Gates took over for Cordy Glenn (Buffalo Bills' second round pick in 2012) at left tackle last season, faring well on the edge and showing the versatility to slide back inside to guard when injuries forced the Bulldogs to adjust. A massive man, Gates certainly looks the part of a future NFL lineman, though he'll most likely be moved to right tackle or back inside. He possesses long arms and is powerful but has only average lateral agility and balance. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
Originally posted by BrianGO:

A starting center.

I agree, except that we have two development swing tackles in Bykowski and Marquardt. I think they will look inside first.
[ Edited by pickle on Mar 2, 2014 at 7:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Butter:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=107653

Kenarious Gates
College: Georgia
Height: 6-4 Weight: 327
Position: OT Pos2: OG
Low: 5.09 40 Time: 5.24 40 High: 5.38
Projected Round: 7-FA

08/21/13 - OTHER GEORGIA PROSPECTS WORTH WATCHING: OT Kenarious Gates (6-5, 318, 5.24)...Gates took over for Cordy Glenn (Buffalo Bills' second round pick in 2012) at left tackle last season, faring well on the edge and showing the versatility to slide back inside to guard when injuries forced the Bulldogs to adjust. A massive man, Gates certainly looks the part of a future NFL lineman, though he'll most likely be moved to right tackle or back inside. He possesses long arms and is powerful but has only average lateral agility and balance. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

That was the story of Carl Nicks too
We don't NEED a starting Center - Kilgore will fill that role, the coaches have a lot of faith he'll do just fine.

Rather get a guy who could play C/LG/RG. Especially a guy who can play LG.

Thanks Butter for the heads-up on Gates.

IMO, getting Spenser Long and red shirt him for a year would be very smart move.
OG Spencer Long late on the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone