LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Pretty confident CB Kyle Fuller is our 1st round pick !!

Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
I wouldn't mind having him and I'm sure Fangio would adjust the Defense accordingly. I just think Verrett brings a different playmaking element we haven't seen since Carlos Rogers' first year on the team, whereas Dennard would be a plug and play for Brown. Both are great options, I just think Verrett would thrive more in our system.

I think Dennard is the only guy with true #1 CB potential in the draft. I can see him being a lockdown CB, regardless of his numbers. If you look at Joe Haden, he ran a 4.59 at the Combine and he's done well enough in the NFL thus far. If Dennard is off the board then Verrett is definitely my choice, his ability to stick to receivers like glue and attack the ball in the air makes him a very useful asset to any defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dennard is a press corner. Our defense requires speed for when we play off man, which Dennard does not have. Playing in the Big 10 will hide a lack of speed. Fuller has speed and versatility but his inability to play out a full season really worries me. IMO Verrett has the best combination of speed and durability for our style of cornerbacks.

Of course this depends entirely on whether or not the 49ers plan on playing more press coverage. Dennard to me is the best CB in the draft, if he were to fall to the 49ers, I would hope that they would take all of 5 seconds to go with him. I don't care what his workout numbers say, he can straight ball, just an all-around dedicated, hyper-competitive cornerback.

I wouldn't mind having him and I'm sure Fangio would adjust the Defense accordingly. I just think Verrett brings a different playmaking element we haven't seen since Carlos Rogers' first year on the team, whereas Dennard would be a plug and play for Brown. Both are great options, I just think Verrett would thrive more in our system.

Carlos Roger's first season included getting torched in the NFC Championship game against Cruz. Please don't compare Verrett to Rogers. LOL
Originally posted by kronik:
Carlos Roger's first season included getting torched in the NFC Championship game against Cruz. Please don't compare Verrett to Rogers. LOL

I think he was referring to his penchant for making big plays and getting interceptions in that first season. I think having two guys who are an interception waiting to happen in Brock and Verrett would be a very nice bonus for this defense.
Originally posted by kronik:

I think he was referring to his penchant for making big plays and getting interceptions in that first season. I think having two guys who are an interception waiting to happen in Brock and Verrett would be a very nice bonus for this defense.

I was, and that's how I feel. Playmakers turn the tides of games. The more we have, the more success we'll have.

Yea, I know. I was just teasing. I just can't stop thinking about how many Superbowls we missed out on due to Carlos Rogers during these past 3 years.
I noticed last night that Fuller is #1 on Mayock's top 5 CB list now.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I noticed last night that Fuller is #1 on Mayock's top 5 CB list now.

I think the Gilbert hype has kind of peaked and is coming back down to earth now. Outstanding measurables, the ideal NFL CB build and athleticism in every way possible but not the best cover guy in the draft.
Fuller's game is playing way off the receiver and coming toward him when the ball comes out. That's how Deion played, but Deion was the fastest player in the league.

I like Fuller, and I think he'll be a pretty good corner. But I'd be disappointed if the Niners used the 30th pick on him. If it's Fuller or a receiver I'd rather go for a receiver (or better yet Louis Nix).
I see the CB position as a trade up target more than WR as it is the greater need. Also, there should be several CB's in the range the Niners can reasonably trade into and Watkins/Evans will be gone in the top 15.
I know this is a Fuller thread, but why the love for Nix? The 49ers have Williams, Dorsey and Dial at the position now and as far as I know none of them are scrubs and it's not like NT in Fangio's 3-4 is a glamour position. In 3 years under Fangio it's been played by 5 different players 3 are still on the roster and they've all been at least servicable and have room to grow. Also I don't want to spend a 1st round pick or even a 2nd round pick on a player who is only on the field for 30% of the plays.

For me the corners are, in order, Fuller, Roby, Dennard, Gilbert, Verrett.

One of my favorite things about him is his tackling. He's a pretty ferocious tackler for a corner.
Im starting to like Fuller less and less. Not sure why just one of those weird feelings that he's just not gonna be that good.
I've liked Fuller for along time...excellent all-around CB and like every DB from VA Tech, an adept ST'er. Lots of value and ability with this guy. Take him, then Adams/Matthews in 2nd would get our draft off to a blazing start.
Share 49ersWebzone