There are 148 users in the forums

ILB

Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Yes Jackson is another one i like who i feel gets a little overlooked here, But I think Smith, Jones, Barrow, Louis and Williamson are better in coverage. Could be wrong

Xavius Boyd, Jackson's teammate, is a guy I could see us targeting. About the same size as Navorro coming out of Penn State, considered to small for OLB (6'2, 240). We could move him inside. He was the Sun Belt's Defensive Player of the year. Had 103 tackles (15.5 for loss) with 8.5 sacks.

You think Boyd is as good or better in coverage than Wilhoite ?

I won't compare the 2. But when I get home I'll post the cutups of Andrew Jackson (they only have ones of Jackson and not Boyd and they're from 2012), you'll have to look for #13, he lines up typically next to Jackson. Doesn't look as strong as Jackson but more athletic. You also have to remember, he really came into his own this year. But he definitely looks like a guy who can play in the NFL. And just as an added tidbit, the 49ers met with Boyd at the East/West game, so they've at least paid attention to him also.
CHRIS BORLAND
Hard hitting tackling machine
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
CHRIS BORLAND
Hard hitting tackling machine

I think with Willis, Wilhoite and Skuta we dont need another tackling machine but someone with great coverage skills. I´m not sold at this point that Borland can give us that at the next level.

I just saw that his arm length is only 29 1/4. Even though i think that the whole arm length debate is a little funny, 29 1/4 is REALLY short.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
If the 49ers see someone who could be the heir apparent to Willis in 4 years I could see spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him to provide depth for 4 years and then maybe take over down the road but if they don't see someone of that kind of talent any pick would be later for depth.

Here's a crazy thought. Draft a speed demon/play-making machine like Telvin Smith in the late 2nd/early 3rd, and rotate him with Wilhoite to cover for Bowman. Wilhoite can start with an emphasis on stopping the run while Smith comes in on nickel packages as a LB/S hybrid (which is exactly what he is right now). In the long-run, a relatively light (218 lbs) Smith can stack on the weight and in 2-3 years, take over for Willis.

or

???
I am all for Telvin Smith. Whether he's a nickel LB or box safety in base or goal line I think he could man up on any TE in the league, not to mention he would be a terror on sp teams.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I am all for Telvin Smith. Whether he's a nickel LB or box safety in base or goal line I think he could man up on any TE in the league, not to mention he would be a terror on sp teams.

Doesn't fit this defense, far better suited to play OLB in the Tampa 2.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

We're not a true 3-4 team to begin with (and run just as much sub-packages as we do base), and most 3-4 teams these days are asking their ILBs to play lighter in order to be more effective in coverage. If a guy like Smith could add 15 lbs or so in the next 2-3 years (which doesn't sound unreasonable) and get closer to 235, he would be fine in our defense.

I think Ghost is on point with this.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

As a base inside LB he doesn't fit. I think his ability to cover TE as a nickel LB/box safety could add a different dimension to our already great defense.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Carlos Fields ILB WSSU 6´1 238

Played against very low competition but was a man among boys. Shows good instincts and the ability to cover RB´s and TE´s. Obviously very raw ( plays way to high for example ) but can also knock people out with his tackles.

What also caught my eyes were his pro day numbers.

Carlos Fields Pro day
40 Yrd Dash 4.50
10 Yrd Dash 1.61
Bench 17
Vertical 38"
Broad 10´08"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.22
3-Cone Drill 7.04

Khalil Mack Combine
40 Yrd Dash 4.65
10 Yrd Dash
Bench 23
Vertical 40"
Broad 10´08"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.18
3-Cone Drill 7.08

Here he is in action

CBS Sports currently projects him to be picked in the 6th - 7th round.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on him ! Worth to take a flyer with our current ILB situation ?
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM ]
Bow was outside rush linebacker for LB University. wonder if there are any whom can be converted into inside LB ala Bowman.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Bow was outside rush linebacker for LB University. wonder if there are any whom can be converted into inside LB ala Bowman.

Christian Jones FSU can play outside + inside.

Christian Jones FSU can play outside + inside.

yeah he's one that I've been keeping an eye out for lately here. wonder who else is out there that's not so good a being a pass rusher but can slide inside. Marcus Smith Louisville? Jackson Jeffcoat UT?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
yeah he's one that I've been keeping an eye out for lately here. wonder who else is out there that's not so good a being a pass rusher but can slide inside. Marcus Smith Louisville? Jackson Jeffcoat UT?

I´ve seen Christian Kirksey Iowa also do both and is better suited inside.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM ]
doh wrong thread
[ Edited by Negrodamus on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
If the 49ers see someone who could be the heir apparent to Willis in 4 years I could see spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him to provide depth for 4 years and then maybe take over down the road but if they don't see someone of that kind of talent any pick would be later for depth.

Here's a crazy thought. Draft a speed demon/play-making machine like Telvin Smith in the late 2nd/early 3rd, and rotate him with Wilhoite to cover for Bowman. Wilhoite can start with an emphasis on stopping the run while Smith comes in on nickel packages as a LB/S hybrid (which is exactly what he is right now). In the long-run, a relatively light (218 lbs) Smith can stack on the weight and in 2-3 years, take over for Willis.

or

???

smh
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Carlos Fields ILB WSSU 6´1 238

Played against very low competition but was a man among boys. Shows good instincts and the ability to cover RB´s and TE´s. Obviously very raw ( plays way to high for example ) but can also knock people out with his tackles.

What also caught my eyes were his pro day numbers.

Carlos Fields Pro day
40 Yrd Dash 4.50
10 Yrd Dash 1.61
Bench 17
Vertical 38"
Broad 10´08"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.22
3-Cone Drill 7.04

Khalil Mack Combine
40 Yrd Dash 4.65
10 Yrd Dash
Bench 23
Vertical 40"
Broad 10´08"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.18
3-Cone Drill 7.08

Here he is in action

CBS Sports currently projects him to be picked in the 6th - 7th round.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on him ! Worth to take a flyer with our current ILB situation ?

Another video.

Share 49ersWebzone