There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ILB

With reports of bowman being out tell mid season at least, what ILB do you think will target as a future backup to bowman and willis?
Me.
Chris Borland.
moody/wilhoite
Shayne Skov. he was a 3rd rounder before the combine but could drop if his calf strain isn't fine by his pro day.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Shayne Skov. he was a 3rd rounder before the combine but could drop if his calf strain isn't fine by his pro day.

IMO, it will take Skov a good year to adjust to the speed of the NFL. He's a good football player but not an exceptional athlete, so experience and film study will be his two best friends.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Shayne Skov. he was a 3rd rounder before the combine but could drop if his calf strain isn't fine by his pro day.

IMO, it will take Skov a good year to adjust to the speed of the NFL. He's a good football player but not an exceptional athlete, so experience and film study will be his two best friends.

i see what you're saying. the way he plays, he plays with reckless abandon. relies a lot on his aggressive instincts. reminds me a bit of Vontaze Burfict coming out of AZ State
Jordan Zumwalt in the middle rounds (4th or 5th).
Pat went down and Bowman stepped. Time for Pat to do the same.
The most important thing you lose with Bowman is his coverage ability, i cant see the 49ers drafting someone who cant cover well.

Ive brought up Lamin Barrow as a possibility because he is very instinctual in coverage, quick with good speed(4.64), they dont need another thumper IMO so much as they need someone dependable in coverage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
moody/wilhoite
This
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The most important thing you lose with Bowman is his coverage ability, i cant see the 49ers drafting someone who cant cover well.

Ive brought up Lamin Barrow as a possibility because he is very instinctual in coverage, quick with good speed(4.64), they dont need another thumper IMO so much as they need someone dependable in coverage.

A guy like BCs Kevin Pierre-Louis is a legit option. He's a guy I've seen turn and run with TEs on wheel routes and crossing patterns. Utah safety Mo Alexander is a guy worth looking at too though he'll need more time to develop than most.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 28, 2014 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Squidp:
Pat went down and Bowman stepped. Time for Pat to do the same.


We have a problem with injured ILB I think depth is something we should look at.
If the 49ers see someone who could be the heir apparent to Willis in 4 years I could see spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him to provide depth for 4 years and then maybe take over down the road but if they don't see someone of that kind of talent any pick would be later for depth.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
If the 49ers see someone who could be the heir apparent to Willis in 4 years I could see spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him to provide depth for 4 years and then maybe take over down the road but if they don't see someone of that kind of talent any pick would be later for depth.

Here's a crazy thought. Draft a speed demon/play-making machine like Telvin Smith in the late 2nd/early 3rd, and rotate him with Wilhoite to cover for Bowman. Wilhoite can start with an emphasis on stopping the run while Smith comes in on nickel packages as a LB/S hybrid (which is exactly what he is right now). In the long-run, a relatively light (218 lbs) Smith can stack on the weight and in 2-3 years, take over for Willis.

or

???
...