LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Mock of The Year - 9ersLiferInChicago

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by kronik:
Alot of talent there. Solid job. Personally not sold on Roby but love his athletic potential. Also like Moncrief a bit more but Matthews is good too. Love the Buchanon, McCullers, Richardson picks
Yeah, I really went back and forth on those two. But I think Mathews would be a bit better due to his precise rout running. Most WR's coming out always have to learn work at that. But Mathews can be plugged in right away.

Barring injury, that won't happen. No rookie that we'll draft will be starting over Crabby and Boldin, and it's not likely that they'll get more PT than Patton either which means at best, our rookie WR will be a #4 or #5 WR (depending on how Baldwin does in camp). So (IMO), upside should be considered as opposed to the ability to come plug right in. Now, if you feel Matthews has more upside than Moncrief, than so be it. I personally think both are going to be really good NFL WRs, but Moncrief with his vertical game is the more explosive player and that's something we're missing from our current group of WRs.

I agree with the assessment of a rookie not starting...except if this is a pure slot guy. That guy will be worked into the lineup often, if he proves he can play. Think Cooks, specifically. Or, if I had my way, Abbrrederis.

If Cooks was the pick, they'd definitely give him every opportunity to beat out Patton for a slot WR role and put together packages for him to run (bubble screens, short passes, etc.), but the offense is so complicated, I don't think he'd do much more than that early on. Anyone else (Moncrief, Matthews, Abberderis, etc.) would likely only be given spot duty here and there, similar to what LMJ experienced his rookie year. Barring injury, of course.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Keep Roby far away from our roster. His game tape stunk this past year. I'd rather have Jason Verrett or Kyle Fuller.

You think Fuller would be a good fit ? Not sure if neither Fuller or Lee is tough enough for the NFC West !

Fuller is a tough run defender who isn't a afraid to come up and blast ball carriers. In fact, if there's anything I worry about, it's Fuller's total disregard for his body when he tackles (see the Alabama game for a prime example).

Thats true. But i´m not sure he will be able to play a full 16 game season + playoffs. Last season he had a core muscle injury and he had to pull put of the senior bowl because he was recovering from sports hernia surgery. He also had groin and shoulder injurys in the 2012 season ( though did not miss a game that season ).

I like his tape a lot but his injury history is a problem.

This mock makes my pants tight.
Keep Roby far away from our roster. His game tape stunk this past year. I'd rather have Jason Verrett or Kyle Fuller.

You think Fuller would be a good fit ? Not sure if neither Fuller or Lee is tough enough for the NFC West !

Fuller is a tough run defender who isn't a afraid to come up and blast ball carriers. In fact, if there's anything I worry about, it's Fuller's total disregard for his body when he tackles (see the Alabama game for a prime example).

Thats true. But i´m not sure he will be able to play a full 16 game season + playoffs. Last season he had a core muscle injury and he had to pull put of the senior bowl because he was recovering from sports hernia surgery. He also had groin and shoulder injurys in the 2012 season ( though did not miss a game that season ).

I like his tape a lot but his injury history is a problem.

Definitely struggled with injuries his senior year, but managed to stay healthy for his first three (I don't think he missed a game as a freshman-junior). Just depends on how a team perceives it...is he starting to break down after playing a lot of football or is his senior season just bad luck? Not sure of the answer, but I'd take a chance on him in the late 1st/early 2nd.
Ok, why I didn't pick Jason Verrett:
Poor tackling techniques, especially in the open field, popped out to me. Smallish and light in the ass. (Yes, size matters in the NFC West.) OFTEN gets walled off by blockers. While he is aggressive he isn't particularly strong at the LOS, at the point of attack, which makes him a serious liability in the red-zone. He shadows well, but finding the ball in the air is a major red-flag as the NFL LOVES to throw flags on players like that. Not a particularly good fit for THIS team.

Why I didn't pick Kyle Fuller:
Strong against the run but a huge liability on passing downs. Ball skills are to be desired. Noticeable lack of in-game quickness and make-up speed. Uses too much of his hands rather than techniques, and in the NFL that'll get you burned - often - and penalized - often - and in the dog house quick. EXTREMELY UNDISCIPLINED ON THE FIELD and often dose his own thing on the field!!!, which V. Fangio will have none of. Thus he cannot be asked to play man coverage. In no way a good fit for our roster.

I defer to my mock to state why I picked Roby over Fuller and Verrett.
By the way, do you have a mock?
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM ]
Poor tackling techniques, especially in the open field, popped out to me. Smallish and light in the ass. (Yes, size matters in the NFC West.) OFTEN gets walled off by blockers. While he is aggressive he isn't particularly strong at the LOS, at the point of attack, which makes him a serious liability in the red-zone. He shadows well, but finding the ball in the air is a major red-flag as the NFL LOVES to throw flags on players like that. Not a particularly good fit for THIS team.

Strong against the run but a huge liability on passing downs. Ball skills are to be desired. Noticeable lack of in-game quickness and make-up speed. Uses too much of his hands rather than techniques, and in the NFL that'll get you burned - often - and penalized - often - and in the dog house quick. EXTREMELY UNDISCIPLINED ON THE FIELD and often dose his own thing on the field!!!, which V. Fangio will have none of. Thus he cannot be asked to play man coverage. In no way a good fit for our roster.

Yes! Varette has no ball skills. The kid knows exactly where the receiver is going, and will follow him step for step. But if he's thrown at, the WR will either catch the ball, or a PI flag almost every time. Roby is a monster with locating, and knocking away the ball.

Yes! Varette has no ball skills. The kid knows exactly where the receiver is going, and will follow him step for step. But if he's thrown at, the WR will either catch the ball, or a PI flag almost every time. Roby is a monster with locating, and knocking away the ball.

You are wasting your breath with this guy, Rollin. Varette only led the nation in total passes defensed since the beginning of 2012 with 8 INT and 30 pass breakups, but he has "bad ball skills" compared to Roby.
I'm sure you know what I meant and where I was going. I was at work stealing time away from the office, so I didn't have time to proof-read.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You are wasting your breath with this guy, Rollin. Varette only led the nation in total passes defensed since the beginning of 2012 with 8 INT and 30 pass breakups, but he has "bad ball skills" compared to Roby.

Boy, I can't wait to see some guy's detailed mock.

Roby probably still has nightmares about Jared Abbrederis. He completely owned Bradley Roby over and over.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Roby probably still has nightmares about Jared Abbrederis. He completely owned Bradley Roby over and over.
Cannot wait to see your mock. . .
Just for the record I like Fuller too. I don't have a mock draft.
I have Roby rated higher than Varett, and no way would we get both.

Fair enough! This is a draft I would like a lot. If there is a run on WRs early and not CBs you could flip Matthews and Roby and still get both...at this moment--both are projected in the 2nd round. Roby's character issues would make me want another CB fairly high and having so many picks in the first four rounds that would be possible.

I really like Skov's attitude and feisty style. Buchanon is another pick I like but there are a few Safeties I cold live with. Janis is also intriguing.

This draft is really the first in a number of years with strengths matching the niners needs--WR, CB, and SS. Team should be much stronger over the next couple of years--scary!

The guy who led the nation in passes defended can't find the ball in the air? If this real life?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone