LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Post-Combine Mock Draft

Nice mock. Good picks. It would be smart at the end of staying away from picks to stash on the practice squad. PUP list ok. They most likely will get snatched up by other teams. If we don't have a roster spot available go after someone else. (Shaq Richardson)
I really like this mock.. I would insert Deone Bucannon SS in the 2nd instead of Martin. We can pick up a quality center prospect later.

Bucannon is my draft crush .. He had a great season, senior bowl and killed it at the combine. If he played at Alabama instead of Washington State, people would all over his nut sack. He hits like Whitner, but can run better and is not a liability in coverage.
[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Feb 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
imo, the martin and murray picks are a round or two early.
verrett was never "it" playing tag. saw him play at srjc; didn't dawn on me he'd be a high pick. so small, his helmet looked over-sized. probably gained 15 lbs since then.
mckinnon is going earlier than rd 7.
ellington will be a receiver of note in 5 years. gotta draft him.
it'd be great to get coleman at the end of rd 4.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I would insert Deone Bucannon SS in the 2nd instead of Martin. We can pick up a quality center prospect later.

Bucannon is my draft crush .. He had a great season, senior bowl and killed it at the combine. If he played at Alabama instead of Washington State, people would all over his nut sack. He hits like Whitner, but can run better and is not a liability in coverage.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Bucannon is a thinker not a reacter IMO. I've seen him get burned way too easily, take bad angles, jog when could've possibly made a play, etc. And he's severely lacking agility. He's an athlete, but I don't think he's a very good safety.

That said I can't stand Whitner, so I wouldn't exactly cry about Bucannon replacing him.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:29 PM ]
Nice one, Phoenix. Solid picks all the way through.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Sorry man my emotions got the best of me .
Had hours of discussions today with people about short corners and receivers without any facts on their part. Also that Wallace made Moncrief looked better than he is and stuff like that. Just snapped after the first two sentences.

Should have read it till the end or kept my mouth shut !

No worries, no problem here. It was just that my first impression was that this seemed counter to what Baalke and Harbaugh seem to want at corner. Baalke,from some of the things I've seen him say, seems to want bigger more physical corners and he actually seems to want Fangio to get more aggressive with the press coverage. And I have already been schooled on Moncrief. I had no clue as to how fast he was. Now that I know he's one of the faster guys, I have no question about that. I think the only thing they're missing in their receiving corps is elite speed and any way they get it is fine with me. I'm ambivalent about the Center position because the team seems real high on Kilgore stepping in there and they've got three or four young guys already that they're grooming, but I don't have a big problem there either. Mocks are a tough thing - they hardly ever turn out to be on the money except in the first three or four picks of a given draft.
Originally posted by xcfan:
imo, the martin and murray picks are a round or two early.
verrett was never "it" playing tag. saw him play at srjc; didn't dawn on me he'd be a high pick. so small, his helmet looked over-sized. probably gained 15 lbs since then.
mckinnon is going earlier than rd 7.
ellington will be a receiver of note in 5 years. gotta draft him.
it'd be great to get coleman at the end of rd 4.

Not without a position, as athletic as he is, he doesn't have a future at RB, and is a project at pretty much every position. He's an athlete at this point, in the 7th round, drafting him to basically play special teams and hope he develops at another position is worthwhile.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not without a position, as athletic as he is, he doesn't have a future at RB, and is a project at pretty much every position. He's an athlete at this point, in the 7th round, drafting him to basically play special teams and hope he develops at another position is worthwhile.

i got a feeling that there's 1 or 2 teams that want to do what i'd do with jerik: get him out of the weight room, get him under 200 lbs, and move him to slot wr.
My closest mock. Missed big with Moncrief and Verrett. Glad that the 49ers at least look care of the slot corner concern with Ward. Never thought Long would go so high.
Share 49ersWebzone