There are 166 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Post-Combine Mock Draft

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Nicely done, Phoenix. I take it you're assuming we retain Whitner?

I am, cap is supposed to go up even further and I feel that both Boldin and Whitner will return on 2-3 year deals.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I am, cap is supposed to go up even further and I feel that both Boldin and Whitner will return on 2-3 year deals.

Agreed. It'll definitely be interesting on Whitner, though. You can never tell who's going to be the guy that gets ridiculously overpaid.

I wish Verrett had a little more Lamarcus Joyner in him from the standpoint of physicality, but I think he has all the makings of an outstanding slot corner. Culliver and Brock outside and Verrett inside would be very solid.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by crake49:
I'll be surprised if much of this mock has anything to do with reality. I don't see them drafting a 5-9 corner in the first round. I don't see them drafting another possession receiver with their second pick, especially one who is basically the same size and speed as Crabtree. I don't see them using their third pick on a center with Kilgore sitting there. Huff? Okay, I'll buy that. A 5-9 receiver? I don't think so unless it's Brandon Cooks who has Percy Harvin speed and quickness and returns kicks. I can see Aikens because he's got the size they're looking for in a corner and I suppose they'd spend a mid round pick on more depth for the D line with Coleman, but they're already in pretty good shape there so I'm a little skeptical.

Trolling in its purest form Wow.

Do you actually know the meaning of the word?

Sorry man my emotions got the best of me .
Had hours of discussions today with people about short corners and receivers without any facts on their part. Also that Wallace made Moncrief looked better than he is and stuff like that. Just snapped after the first two sentences.

Should have read it till the end or kept my mouth shut !
Originally posted by Butter:
I was initially on the center band wagon too. But I think the Niners get better value by bringing in a bargain veteran and letting the vet compete with Kilgore. Center is the qb of the line, and they need experience in that position.

I would normally agree with this philosophy, but for our team, I think raw talent will suit us better. The interior line has allowed instant pressure up the middle, and I don't know if Goodwin has helped alleviate any of that. A lot of the problem is Iupati, but to be fair to him, perhaps he is thinking too much of assisting Goodwin, because Goodwin is not rock solid with a one-on-one pass block, and gets driven into the pocket too often.

I would love us to improve that center position.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I would normally agree with this philosophy, but for our team, I think raw talent will suit us better. The interior line has allowed instant pressure up the middle, and I don't know if Goodwin has helped alleviate any of that. A lot of the problem is Iupati, but to be fair to him, perhaps he is thinking too much of assisting Goodwin, because Goodwin is not rock solid with a one-on-one pass block, and gets driven into the pocket too often.

I would love us to improve that center position.

As mentioned, center wasn't a big priority, I liked Larsen as a guy in the late 3rd/early 4th but man, watching Martin, the potential is way UP there. If you can get a guy who you think can be a dominant NFL center after a year or two of seasoning, I definitely think its worth it.
Thanks, now I have a boner.
I like this mock Phoenix. Only one that is questionable to me is the 3rd pick at center. My gut feeling tells me it's Kilgore, with a slight outside chance for Looney, that is penciled in as starter for 2014. I can't see Harbaugh starting a rookie at such a mentally critical position. Good job.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I like this mock Phoenix. Only one that is questionable to me is the 3rd pick at center. My gut feeling tells me it's Kilgore, with a slight outside chance for Looney, that is penciled in as starter for 2014. I can't see Harbaugh starting a rookie at such a mentally critical position. Good job.
Even if Kilgore starts, we will need another Center as a backup.
Additionally to that, Martin played two years at left guard, moved to center last season for the first time.
[ Edited by communist on Feb 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
Even if Kilgore starts, we will need another Center as a backup.
Additionally to that, Martin played two years at left guard, moved to center last season for the first time.

Maybe. Just seems a little high. Might want to take someone like Tyler Larsen a little further down and get a playmaker type with the 3rd pick.
  • thl408
The reason I like a Center in the 2nd/3rd is to give Kilgore competition and hopefully give the team a prospect with a much higher ceiling than Kilgore. Perhaps this rookie Center will start in 15-16, which is fine by me as he accustoms himself to the line calls of the NFL during his rookie season. The end goal being that the 49ers have both tackle positions and the center position locked down with very good players for the next 3-4 years.

Good mock would be just fine of this wsd the outcome. I still think we will only draft maybe 7 guys total with moving up or trading back.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Martin is Mayocks 1. C for a reason. His upside is HUGE. Had him in the 4th round in my mock few weeks ago but there is no way he is available that late anymore. He keeps rising up draft boards. I think Kilgore should be ready to start week 1. Also there is almost no way Martin could start week 1 in Harbaugh´s offense. But all that should not keep us from drafting him. Otherwise we will most definitely regret it !
Mayock was all over Gabbert's dick too...so keep cool ;)
Maybe. Just seems a little high. Might want to take someone like Tyler Larsen a little further down and get a playmaker type with the 3rd pick.
offensive line is always a playmaker if it comes down to evaluate who contributes to a team's success and how big is his share. 1st string o-linemen are way too often on the field, thus possibilty of an injury is too high to pass up on potential backup and even a future starter.
Not sure about the McKinnon pick...when the league bans him for being an android the team will have just wasted a pick!
Share 49ersWebzone