There are 230 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Post-Combine Mock Draft

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
This is the time of year when every good player is in the top 10. 5-10 is taller than 5-9. If you or Phoenix are saying that the Niners won't trade up anywhere in the draft, I disagree. They may trade up in the 1st. They did last year. If there's a player who can start at either WR or CB (I prefer WR), then Baalke should do what it takes to get him. Rather than a J.Jones trade, I suggest adding someone like Ray McDonald or Iupati.
Trading an O-Liner or D-Liner for a rookie CB??? That is even worse than the discussion about CB vs. pass-rusher back then when we picked Aldon...

We don't need a CB so badly. We have our #1CB in place, perhaps Cully could become #2, he will at least be #3.
It's not Verrett's height that matters so much...it's his weight. Not sure where you got your figures from but I've seen a number of reports he measures in at 5-9/10, but only 176 lbs. BL: that's a pretty small CB to be Baalke's #1 pick. I'd bet he has short arms, too...another strike against him (from Baalke's point of view). Joyner's only 5-8, but weighs in 190-195, just for comparison's sake. Really like the rest of your draft...except the C in rd 2. Why would Baalke do that...when he has Looney, Kilgore and Seymour to compete for the position. Shoot, even Snyder can play C.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
5'9 with 30 5/8" arms is small. 5'11 with 30 5/8" arms would still be small. There are legitimate questions about whether Verett can play outside against bigger WR's especially when he's only 189 pounds. I'm probably too high on Gilbert right now given all the small corners I'm comparing him to in this draft and hearing comparisons to Patrick Peterson.

Gilbert is 6'0 with 33 1/8" arms but he does have really small hands which I'm concerned about, but I think he helps us more this season than making marginal improvements at some other positions.

Verrett would not be a "marginal improvement" on this defense, he'd be a huge improvement at nickelback. 49ers have CB's who can play on the outside in Brown and Culliver, acquiring a high quality nickel that can handle guys like Percy Harvin is of tremendous value. Verrett also wouldn't cost a bunch of extra picks this draft and next.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's not Verrett's height that matters so much...it's his weight. Not sure where you got your figures from but I've seen a number of reports he measures in at 5-9/10, but only 176 lbs. BL: that's a pretty small CB to be Baalke's #1 pick. I'd bet he has short arms, too...another strike against him (from Baalke's point of view). Joyner's only 5-8, but weighs in 190-195, just for comparison's sake. Really like the rest of your draft...except the C in rd 2. Why would Baalke do that...when he has Looney, Kilgore and Seymour to compete for the position. Shoot, even Snyder can play C.

His weight is 189 pounds, stop looking at old estimates, he was weighed at the Combine. Looney and Seymour are guard prospects and will be slanted towards guard. Kilgore has been developed as a center but that still leaves the need for a quality backup, if not someone to potentially replace Kilgore. I'm not a fan of taking an OL early as I mentioned but Martin has a HUGE ceiling. I added Martin because I think he has the potential to be a Top 3 Center in the NFL down the road. Its more of loving the player versus the position.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM ]
This obsession with the height of Verrett really puzzles me. Antoine Winfield is a guy that people on here wanted, a terrific cornerback, an especially talented slot corner, he was 5'9", 180 and still had a very successful 15 year NFL career. Alterraun Verner had a dominant year at CB and he's 5'10" and 187, essentially the same size as Verrett. There's no reason that Verrett can't be a very successful NFL cornerback, especially with his natural talents and instincts.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Verrett would not be a "marginal improvement" on this defense, he'd be a huge improvement at nickelback. 49ers have CB's who can play on the outside in Brown and Culliver, acquiring a high quality nickel that can handle guys like Percy Harvin is of tremendous value. Verrett also wouldn't cost a bunch of extra picks this draft and next.

You mean brock?

I agree with your point though.
Originally posted by Hopper:
You mean brock?

I agree with your point though.

Yes, sorry. I think if they can re-sign Wright to a cheap deal...even better. A CB group of Brock, Culliver, Verrett, Wright, Aikens and Morris would be outstanding.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This obsession with the height of Verrett really puzzles me. Antoine Winfield is a guy that people on here wanted, a terrific cornerback, an especially talented slot corner, he was 5'9", 180 and still had a very successful 15 year NFL career. Alterraun Verner had a dominant year at CB and he's 5'10" and 187, essentially the same size as Verrett. There's no reason that Verrett can't be a very successful NFL cornerback, especially with his natural talents and instincts.
That is overrated...we are looking for size only.
Originally posted by communist:
That is overrated...we are looking for size only.

f**king SanDiego has poisoned the well in here, people obsessed with size and they don't even know why.
Kill it, kill it with fire!!!

I'd be game for this. Your one of my favorite posters Phoenix, love your stuff.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:14 PM ]
I think it's gonna be really tough to re-sign Brown especially with contract rumors with Kap, Boldin, and Whitner.. Really nice mock though, would be really happy with this
No Herron?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
No Herron?

Couldn't fit him in. With Moncrief and Ellington they are still adding an infusion of speed to the offense.
One of the great questions that none of us can answer, is what does the FO think of Darryl Morris. If they believe that Brock, Culliver, Morris - slot CB, Cox are all available then they can take some risks at CB and get some other people in like Watkins, Desir, Chris Davis. I think FS/SS is a bigger issue. Is there a FS that can come in as a rookie and have Reid move to SS? Can we get that person without selling the farm?
Share 49ersWebzone