There are 293 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Post-Combine Mock Draft

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Okay, so the Niners will stand pat. I'll quote you on that. It rhymes.

I didn't say they will stand pat necessarily, but they won't gut the team or the draft to trade up for a WR or CB when the strength of the draft IS WR and CB.

If the choice comes down to Justin Gilbert vs Verrett, Moncrief and Huff, guess what, the latter is a heck of a lot more appealing.
This draft class is relatively flat so its hard to justify trading up when you can stand pat and get a quality player. If we were to get Moncrief and Verrett, I'd be very happy. I like Coleman too. I think Cully covering the big guys, Verrett covering the shifty guys, and Brock covering everything in between wouldn't be too bad. I also think having someone with up's and deceptive speed like Moncrief would fill the missing pieces in our offense well. We would finally have someone who could threaten the defense on the long ball and someone who could go for the jump ball in the end zone.
This is the time of year when every good player is in the top 10. 5-10 is taller than 5-9. If you or Phoenix are saying that the Niners won't trade up anywhere in the draft, I disagree. They may trade up in the 1st. They did last year. If there's a player who can start at either WR or CB (I prefer WR), then Baalke should do what it takes to get him. Rather than a J.Jones trade, I suggest adding someone like Ray McDonald or Iupati.

I missed this, I'm sure that inch is going to make a major impact, especially considering that the guy has a 39" vertical, meaning he has better get-up than the vast majority of defensive backs in this draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I didn't say they will stand pat necessarily, but they won't gut the team or the draft to trade up for a WR or CB when the strength of the draft IS WR and CB.

If the choice comes down to Justin Gilbert vs Verrett, Moncrief and Huff, guess what, the latter is a heck of a lot more appealing.

If the choice was between Justin Gilbert vs Verett, Martin, and Huff, I'm taking Gilbert all day. He's someone who can step in and play as a rookie and as others have pointed out, we don't need as many players as we have picks. Also, Dennard will drop to the 20's after the combine because of his extremely short arms and average athleticism. He and Verett are essentially the same length - both are short with short arms. Moncrief won't be there at 56, but I'd happily give up an additional 3rd/4th round pick on top of Verett, Martin, and Huff if it meant getting Gilbert and Moncrief.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
If the choice was between Justin Gilbert vs Verett, Martin, and Huff, I'm taking Gilbert all day. He's someone who can step in and play as a rookie and as others have pointed out, we don't need as many players as we have picks. Also, Dennard will drop to the 20's after the combine because of his extremely short arms and average athleticism. He and Verett are essentially the same length - both are short with short arms. Moncrief won't be there at 56, but I'd happily give up an additional 3rd/4th round pick on top of Verett, Martin, and Huff if it meant getting Gilbert and Moncrief.
Very suprising
  • sfout
  • Veteran
This is the time of year when every good player is in the top 10. 5-10 is taller than 5-9. If you or Phoenix are saying that the Niners won't trade up anywhere in the draft, I disagree. They may trade up in the 1st. They did last year. If there's a player who can start at either WR or CB (I prefer WR), then Baalke should do what it takes to get him. Rather than a J.Jones trade, I suggest adding someone like Ray McDonald or Iupati.

At one inch difference you are splitting hairs, pretty much comes down to does he have 1 inch longer legs or spine or does he have giant head. We don't know which one it is and it comes down to the vertical at that point because their arm length is so similar. Verrett had a 39 inch jump and Dennard was a DNP.

We may trade up but we won't give up 5 picks or more for 1 player like it will take to get Gilbert. We're 3 picks further back than Atlanta was and Gilbert will be going in the top 7(Jones was taken 7th)-12 for sure, he's basically a Patrick Peterson clone.

So you'd create an unnecessary need by trading away a pro bowl LG or pro bowl DT and we'd replace them how? With the 2nd or 3rd round draft choice we may still have after trading up to get Gilbert? In that scenario, especially with a player who would only have 1-2 years left on his deal they would want at least the swap of 1st, and 2nd and still probably a day 2 pick from this year.

Frankly we'd be f**ked. Expecting Carradine to play 90-95% of the snaps in his "rookie" year would be asinine, I don't even know who could capably replace Iupati's 95% snap count that is currently on our roster. We'd have to over pay for an FA that we'd have signed in March and already made a trade for pick (a la RG3 trade) with out any knowledge of how the several picks will play out in front of them.
You rigged the argument against trading up by saying that Moncrief miraculously falls to 56, but giving up 29, 61, 74, and their 4th round pick would be worth it in my opinion if they got Gilbert, Moncrief, and still had a third round pick. They may not have to give up that much given the draft is perceived as deep.
Really like the draft.

Verret is more than a solid player and those thinking that 1 inch will make a difference - they go into the "Angry Inch" crowd.

IMO, Montcrief will be a star. As an added bonus he'll have Boldin and Crabs to mentor him.

I understand the Martin pick BUT I'm not confident it will be made. Personally, I feel they have their minds set on Kilgore. In your opinion, could he transition to LG if Iupati walks?

I really like Billy Turner OT- 6'6", 314, 5:30 from N.Dakota State. I think he'd be an excellent guy to transition to LG and he has Tackle experience too.

Also a huge fan of Spenser Long and I like red shirting guys especially since all pick can't make the team.

if the draft went down like this we'd be doing very well.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Here comes the height monsters

I prefer to call them "size queens"

Best mock yet Phoenix! Verrett and Moncrief, then sneaking in Ellington… outstanding playmaking possibilities!

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
You rigged the argument against trading up by saying that Moncrief miraculously falls to 56, but giving up 29, 61, 74, and their 4th round pick would be worth it in my opinion if they got Gilbert, Moncrief, and still had a third round pick. They may not have to give up that much given the draft is perceived as deep.

Even if they give up a 4th rounder to move up for Moncrief, it still doesn't change much. Trading away a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder this year for Gilbert, at minimum, absolutely does. The draft is too deep and too flat to give up too much for any one player. Gilbert is a nice cornerback, is he that much better than Verrett that he's worth giving up a bunch of extra picks for? Absolutely not. Verrett could come in and be an immediate starter on this defense as well as a nickelback.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I like the Verrett pick. He would be a perfect slot corner.

I think he needs surgery on his shoulder though.

I jizzed in mah pants.. over the 1st 3 picks.

The rest was good too :)
Very nice mock draft.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Verret is more than a solid player and those thinking that 1 inch will make a difference - they go into the "Angry Inch" crowd.

5'9 with 30 5/8" arms is small. 5'11 with 30 5/8" arms would still be small. There are legitimate questions about whether Verett can play outside against bigger WR's especially when he's only 189 pounds. I'm probably too high on Gilbert right now given all the small corners I'm comparing him to in this draft and hearing comparisons to Patrick Peterson.

Gilbert is 6'0 with 33 1/8" arms but he does have really small hands which I'm concerned about, but I think he helps us more this season than making marginal improvements at some other positions.
Share 49ersWebzone