There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers Post-Combine Mock Draft

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I hope that Baalke will trade up for a better, taller CB. They may have to trade up for Moncrief. There's no room on the 53 for a dozen guys.

Brown
Goodwin
Manningham
Dobbs
McCoy
Dixon
Osgood
Cox

+2 guys on IR and 1 guy on the practice squad.

Not saying it will happen, just saying, don't think it can't. Most people were panning whether or not the 49ers would draft as many players as they did last season too.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Here comes the height monsters

Worst mock ever, don't quit your day job. Kidding! Good mock. Couple questions... Is this mock with the assumption that Whitner is back and Huff is the understudy? And who's the 2 starting CB with your mock, Brock and Cully with Verrett at slot? And the thing I liked most about the mock: the gif of Shaq Richardson at end.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I hope that Baalke will trade up for a better, taller CB. They may have to trade up for Moncrief. There's no room on the 53 for a dozen guys.

Brown
Goodwin
Manningham
Dobbs
McCoy
Dixon
Osgood
Cox

+2 guys on IR and 1 guy on the practice squad.

Not saying it will happen, just saying, don't think it can't. Most people were panning whether or not the 49ers would draft as many players as they did last season too.

Isn't this a list from two years ago?
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Worst mock ever, don't quit your day job. Kidding! Good mock. Couple questions... Is this mock with the assumption that Whitner is back and Huff is the understudy? And who's the 2 starting CB with your mock, Brock and Cully with Verrett at slot? And the thing I liked most about the mock: the gif of Shaq Richardson at end.

Brock and Culliver on the outside, with Aikens behind them. Verrett at nickel corner.

And this is assuming that Whitner comes back and Dahl likely ends up being cut.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
this
  • sfout
  • Veteran

A better taller corner?

The only two CBs expected to go in front of Verrett are Gilbert and Dennard

Dennard is the same size(5'10 compared to 5'9) as him and same arm length(Dennard 30 1/4 Verrett 30 5/8).

Gilbert is a freak compared to them at 6'0 w/ 33.5 inch arms

Dennard isn't suited for slot IMO but I'm terrible at projecting positions, Gilbert will probably go in the top 10. Are you prepared to give up a Julio Jones sized bounty for a CB?
Originally posted by sfout:
A better taller corner?

Dennard is the same size(5'10 compared to 5'9) as him and same arm length(Dennard 30 1/4 Verrett 30 5/8).

Dennard isn't suited for slot IMO but I'm terrible at projecting positions, Gilbert will probably go in the top 10. Are you prepared to give up a Julio Jones sized bounty for a CB?

This. People complaining about Verrett aren't offering any alternative solutions, just talking about a trade up that would gut this draft or some mystery alternative. There's nobody that is as much of a ballhawk as Verrett is. He's a guy who could help the takeaway numbers go back up again, making plays on the ball.

Those focusing on his height IMO are missing the forest through the trees. 49ers had their biggest troubles at the nickel corner spot, Rogers played slow, flat-footed at times, Verrett has the quickness to keep up with smaller receivers in the slot, sticking to them like glue and letting the guys on the outside be more physical.

Gilbert isn't happening, Dennard likely isn't happening either. Of what is left, I love the possibility of Verrett playing in the slot and being a major playmaker, especially with the other teams in the division having guys like Tavon Austin, Percy Harvin...etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Brock and Culliver on the outside, with Aikens behind them. Verrett at nickel corner.

And this is assuming that Whitner comes back and Dahl likely ends up being cut.

Ok works well for me. I like it. Aikens is definitely a guy I could see Baalke picking also. Has everything Baalke loves, athleticism and is a small school CB.
Very reasonable, balanced, and in my opinion, fairly realistic, Baalke-like draft. This is almost identical to the mock I had in the works, which I don't plan on changing all that much because I feel so strongly that the 49ers are gushing over the following players in particular (in descending order, starting from most likely for us to be infatuated with ):

1. WR Moncrief
2. S Huff
3. WR Ellington
4. FB/TE Millard
5. OG Long
Originally posted by sfout:

A better taller corner?

This is the time of year when every good player is in the top 10. 5-10 is taller than 5-9. If you or Phoenix are saying that the Niners won't trade up anywhere in the draft, I disagree. They may trade up in the 1st. They did last year. If there's a player who can start at either WR or CB (I prefer WR), then Baalke should do what it takes to get him. Rather than a J.Jones trade, I suggest adding someone like Ray McDonald or Iupati.
This is the time of year when every good player is in the top 10. 5-10 is taller than 5-9. If you or Phoenix are saying that the Niners won't trade up anywhere in the draft, I disagree. They may trade up in the 1st. They did last year. If there's a player who can start at either WR or CB (I prefer WR), then Baalke should do what it takes to get him. Rather than a J.Jones trade, I suggest adding someone like Ray McDonald or Iupati.

They aren't going to gut them team to move up in the draft. You don't trade a guy like Iupati if you're going to need him as a starter next year, regardless of his free agent status. Trading McDonald makes even less sense.
I'm ok with this mock.

They aren't going to gut them team to move up in the draft. You don't trade a guy like Iupati if you're going to need him as a starter next year, regardless of his free agent status. Trading McDonald makes even less sense.
Okay, so the Niners will stand pat. I'll quote you on that. It rhymes.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Very reasonable, balanced, and in my opinion, fairly realistic, Baalke-like draft. This is almost identical to the mock I had in the works, which I don't plan on changing all that much because I feel so strongly that the 49ers are gushing over the following players in particular (in descending order, starting from most likely for us to be infatuated with ):

1. WR Moncrief
2. S Huff
3. WR Ellington
4. FB/TE Millard
5. OG Long

I think Moncrief, Millard, Long, all strong 49ers types of players. I love the thought of McKinnon in the 7th and I love his initiative to start working in and training as a defensive back. That's some serious forward level thinking rather than being incessantly stubborn on being a RB. 49ers need to add another Osgood or Bubba Ventrone type and at minimum, I think McKinnon could do well in that role.