LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Justin Gilbert

I am almost 99% sure that there is a thread on this guy, but when i searched i couldn't find anything?
Anyways, he has been having an amazing combine.
So far he has the fastest 40 of the day, unofficially at 4.37
20 reps on bench
35 inch vertical with a 126 inch broad jump?

I've been very vocal on how badly I want the niners to draft an offensive weapon with their first pick... I do however think that Gilbert has the most potential of any CB in the draft to turn into a lock-down/franchise corner that we desperately need. Hard hitting, strong, faster than most WR, and great field vision. Packs a punch with his hits, i hope he can incorporate the same kind of punishment that Goldson used to and make WRs scared to go his way. (I miss that guy alot). Also, he is a great return man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxP6DWLk72A
Aside from the dance moves, i think this is our man. I haven't seen anybody close in on a ball like that except Earl Thomas.
I really hope we give this guy a hard look
[ Edited by Quest4six on Feb 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I really hope we give this guy a hard look

They can look all they want, but they're not going to get him without trading up.
He's the top CB in this draft, he'll likely be gone in the first 15 picks. I like him a lot too but its simply not going to happen.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's the top CB in this draft, he'll likely be gone in the first 15 picks. I like him a lot too but its simply not going to happen.

This. I was really hoping he would be in range for a Niner trade up. Now, it would cost too much.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
No way he comes out of the top 10. Even in a draft this deep.
He's not making it out of the top 10
Assuming he will be drafted 10-15ish ... what will the 49ers have to give up to get that slot? 1st, 2nd and 3rd? I consulted the draft calculator pinned in the War Room. Does the 49ers' 30th, 61st and 94th pick for the 10th sound accurate? I'm not saying we should do it, I'm just wondering about the numbers/cost.
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Assuming he will be drafted 10-15ish ... what will the 49ers have to give up to get that slot? 1st, 2nd and 3rd? I consulted the draft calculator pinned in the War Room. Does the 49ers' 30th, 61st and 94th pick for the 10th sound accurate? I'm not saying we should do it, I'm just wondering about the numbers/cost.

The 49ers first rounder this year, a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year and 2nd or 3rd rounder next year.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM ]
The 49ers first rounder this year, a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year and 2nd or 3rd rounder next year.

Yeah, that's way too much.
I'm happy he's blowin up. Teams are gonna be trading up and down to get certain players and I'm hoping tht it causes Dennard to slide into range for us to get him. Gilbert is who I like more but Dennard is a great constellation prize and is considered by most to be the superior player. Gilbert probably won't make it past Detroit at 10

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by martysofresh:
I'm happy he's blowin up. Teams are gonna be trading up and down to get certain players and I'm hoping tht it causes Dennard to slide into range for us to get him. Gilbert is who I like more but Dennard is a great constellation prize and is considered by most to be the superior player. Gilbert probably won't make it past Detroit at 10

I dont think Dennard is the right fit in our scheme. We play a lot off man and thats where Dennard struggles. He makes his money in press man. Of course he is really good at what he is doing.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM ]
I would love a chance at Gilbert just don't think it will happen without us giving up a 3rd to trade up and get him. Not sure he is worth it. Right now I think Verrett at 30 is realistic. I wonder how much we like Roby and Roberson as well.

You've done well to let go of that crush. All aboard the Verrett Bandwagon!
I would give #30 #61 and #77 to move up to 10 or wherever he is still available. We'd still have #56 and #94 + Gilbert.
He should be the pick. He helps us the most. But he will be gone and we give up too much to move up high enough to get him.
Share 49ersWebzone