LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

What we need!

Realistically we need to find:
A SS that can beat out Dahl by the middle of the season preferably sooner
A CB that can slide into the 3rd CB slot and push Culliver for the number 2 spot
A C that can start
A number 4 and 5 WR preferably 1 tall one and 1 that can return kicks
A MLB that can compete with wilhote until we get bowman back
A rookie QB to develope behind kapernick that has similar skills
A swing guard that can step in and start if we lose lupati
To me it seems that we will draft the positions higher where we need a starter so:
1st round SS because safety is not that deep in top tier talent so if we need to trade up to get Haha or Pryor I say we do it
2nd round we need a good player at center so we shoot for Swanson or the number 2 C there
2nd We grab the best corner or wr we can get even if we need to trade up to grab a guy that slides out the first like WR(Mathews, Adams, Beckham, Benjamin, Cooks) CB (Roby,Fuller, Roberson, Joyner)
3rd round We grab the best available CB or WR with both picks
4th round is we haven't traded them to move up or for future picks we take the best available the rest of the way
I think we have got to get 1SS, 2 WRs, 2 CBs and one center if we get these guys and can start 3 or 4 buys years end this will be a great draft!
There is so much we don't know yet.

If Whitner is resigned then we can safety in round 3 or 4 like Loston or Brooks to back him up and eventually replace him.

If Harbaugh wants to start Kilgore then we can go for a back up like Martin or Stork who would be available in rounds 3-4

We might sign a vet ILB to a 1 yr deal to replace Bowman until he gets back or we could go for an ILB in rounds 3-5 we see as a long term back up at ILB.

Do the 49ers want to add 1 more DE to rotate in and eventually replace McDonald after getting Tank to understudy Smith?

It would not surprise me to see the 49ers go DE in round 1.

This will be the most intriguing draft in a decade for the 49er fans.
Another option is to find the best free safety available and move Reid to SS since they are supposed to be interchangeable.

We need the center settled and Kilgore/Looney/Andrews are the best we have on board. Sounds to me like a 2nd or 3rd round solution.

We also need CBs, at least two but the draft depth appears to be high and we migh get them in the lower rounds along with our WR candidates.

Then we need a Guard a tackle, a RB, and a QB so that is a total of about at least 9 picks with the rest of the picks used for negotiating the board.
I agree with most of that except for RB balke isn't giving up on James so we already have 4 rbs unless we take someone like Carlos Hyde to be goalie and backup FB.
I agree with most of that except for RB balke isn't giving up on James so we already have 4 rbs unless we take someone like Carlos Hyde to be goalie and backup FB. Plus I don't think 3 rookie Oline can make the roster.
Share 49ersWebzone