LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

Marqueston Huff- S- Wyoming

5'11' 198 Been hearing some buzz about this kid and a sit down with 49ers coaches. Good tackler with some return skills. Thoughts??

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/23/5440186/49ers-visit-with-safeties-calvin-pryor-marqueston-huff

[ Edited by fortyniner52 on Feb 24, 2014 at 8:46 PM ]
I knew this kid would attract attention from us. He is the kind of prospect that just SCREAMS "49er target" at you. You can check out my brief write-up on him in my last mock (which, keep in mind was a pre-combine mock and the board has shuffled significantly since then).

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Marqueston Huff-S/CB-Wyoming, 5-11 198 4.40
Huff possesses arguably top 5 sideline to sideline speed among the DBs in this class. At the Senior Bowl, he reportedly blanketed receivers showing he could be considered a CB prospect and not just a safety, which he played at Wyoming. The 49ers took Chris Culliver and converted him from safety into a CB so Huff could be another target to do the same. Then again, he could provide just better safety depth behind Whitner and/or start at some point if Whitner goes elsewhere.

Also, to further discuss some of these prospects that I believe we'll target: DB Marqueston Huff is a guy who really stood out as a player I think we'd absolutely love to bring in and develop into a starting player. The range on this kid is just terrific and I can see him excelling at any defensive back position we might elect to place him at.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/177275-otcs-pre-combine-mock-18-14/page3/#3q4ZYMs0kGHJ8k8C.99

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/177275-otcs-pre-combine-mock-18-14/#7hD3z1EhFTQsPF57.99
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 24, 2014 at 10:57 PM ]
Where does he fall in the draft? I have seen a couple of games and he looked solid.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Where does he fall in the draft? I have seen a couple of games and he looked solid.

From what I've seen, I would at least consider Huff a 2nd round talent. Barring any completely unknown red flags, I don't see any chance he lasts pasts the 4th round (though with good workouts, he may not even make it there, so we'll see). Overall, at the moment, I believe he should be taken somewhere between the late 2nd and early 4th.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM ]

From what I've seen, I would at least consider Huff a 2nd round talent. Barring any completely unknown red flags, I don't see any chance he lasts pasts the 4th round (though with good workouts, he may not even make it there, so we'll see). Overall, at the moment not having any info on his workouts since he's not at the combine, I believe he should be taken somewhere between the late 2nd and early 4th.

I'm bummed he's not at the combine to run, but we won't have to wait too long -- Wyoming's pro day is March 13.

Unofficial 4.47
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

From what I've seen, I would at least consider Huff a 2nd round talent. Barring any completely unknown red flags, I don't see any chance he lasts pasts the 4th round (though with good workouts, he may not even make it there, so we'll see). Overall, at the moment not having any info on his workouts since he's not at the combine, I believe he should be taken somewhere between the late 2nd and early 4th.

I'm bummed he's not at the combine to run, but we won't have to wait too long -- Wyoming's pro day is March 13.

Unofficial 4.47

Whoops! Well now I feel like a total doofus. Horrible user error here. My mistake, I just went from bummed to ecstatic! I was completely looking at the wrong list on NFL.com.. *Places dunce cap on head*

With that unofficial time, he is the 4th fastest S among those in his category at the combine right now.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM ]
Could he be Michael Huff's brother?
I still am hoping we are able to re-sign Whitner
Hell yea another guy I'm excited bout now
Huff as a SS???
I was kind of surprised by what the OP wrote but Huff's biggest issue is his tackling skills, a lot of which can be coached up but he tends to take some terrible angles, if he can improve on that, he looks to have very good potential in the NFL, either as a CB or as a FS.

Can this guy really start day 1 at SS? Really seems like we are doing our due diligence and having a backup plan in case Whitner doesn't re-sign. I think we want him back but after a good year last year his self value has went up. Wasn't too long before the season he was worried this would be his last season and we wouldn't want him back. Now he probably is looking for more money but after playing in Buffalo you would think he would prefer to win over money. Anyways, right now seems like we are looking for a physical, intimidating, tone setting SS like Pryor or Huff over a coverage guy like Ward. Someone who can defend the run and set the tone hitting even if they aren't a ball hawk and won't get a lot of int's.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Can this guy really start day 1 at SS? Really seems like we are doing our due diligence and having a backup plan in case Whitner doesn't re-sign. I think we want him back but after a good year last year his self value has went up. Wasn't too long before the season he was worried this would be his last season and we wouldn't want him back. Now he probably is looking for more money but after playing in Buffalo you would think he would prefer to win over money. Anyways, right now seems like we are looking for a physical, intimidating, tone setting SS like Pryor or Huff over a coverage guy like Ward. Someone who can defend the run and set the tone hitting even if they aren't a ball hawk and won't get a lot of int's.

Huff's more of the coverage type then the big hitting intimidator, just because he's got a mean look on his face in the photo doesn't make him actually mean.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Huff's more of the coverage type then the big hitting intimidator, just because he's got a mean look on his face in the photo doesn't make him actually mean.

LOL, note to self don't judge player based on photo. J/K. Watching his highlights looks like he can still hit hard. He's got nice speed and range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWd7En8-m0&feature=player_detailpage#t=111
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM ]
Looks like good prospect
Originally posted by tohara3:
Looks like good prospect

Don't you mean, "nice prospect"?
Share 49ersWebzone