LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 415 users in the forums

Which WR would be best matchup vs. Seahawks D & best complement Boldin, Patton & D

Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Right....

well where am I wrong? He's more likely the next Limas Sweed than Josh Gordon.

Everything I've seen based on about 12 full games (mostly against SEC opponents, but a few against Texas as well) over his 3 seasons at Ole Miss shows me a very consistent, above average hands catcher, the ability to consistently beat press coverage when applied (wasn't often though), an uncanny ability to run past defenders and a very smooth athlete on the field. He's a more than capable blocker though people won't confuse him for a FB. Getting open "using your hands" is a skill that can be taught....being 6'2", running a 4.40, jumping nearly 40" all while producing against the best competition that college football has to offer are special skills.

You see Limas Sweed in the "few games" you've watched; that's cool. I see a faster version of Michael Floyd, the Cardinal WR that we'll have to deal with twice a year and who blew past Seattle's Byron Maxwell for a 31 yard winning TD catch late in the season.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but the guy you describe in the games you've seen isn't anything like the guy I've seen. I'm one of those guys who (unlike you) doesn't have a life and enjoys spending his weekends going over games, rewinding them over and over and over to make sure I saw what I thought I saw (pretty sad, huh?). You don't have to believe me, but I spent last Saturday re-watching about 8 full games in total (two Clemson/FSU games, Rice vs. Miss St., Missouri vs. South Carolina, LSU vs. Ole Miss, Ole Miss vs. Vandy, Texas v. Baylor and Oklahoma vs. Alabama). Yes, it's almost embarrassing to admit.

But hey, maybe I'm getting old and can't see straight any more, or maybe I'm biased. Or maybe you haven't see much beyond his YouTube clips. Who knows...but your impression of him doesn't match at all what's on my screen.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 24, 2014 at 11:54 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Everything I've seen based on about 12 full games (mostly against SEC opponents, but a few against Texas as well) over his 3 seasons at Ole Miss shows me a very consistent, above average hands catcher, the ability to consistently beat press coverage when applied (wasn't often though), an uncanny ability to run past defenders and a very smooth athlete on the field. He's a more than capable blocker though people won't confuse him for a FB. Getting open "using your hands" is a skill that can be taught....being 6'2", running a 4.40, jumping nearly 40" all while producing against the best competition that college football has to offer are special skills.

You see Limas Sweed in the "few games" you've watched; that's cool. I see a faster version of Michael Floyd, the Cardinal WR that we'll have to deal with twice a year and who blew past Seattle's Byron Maxwell for a 31 yard winning TD catch late in the season.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but the guy you describe in the games you've seen isn't anything like the guy I've seen. I'm one of those guys who (unlike you) doesn't have a life and enjoys spending his weekends going over games, rewinding them over and over and over to make sure I saw what I thought I saw (pretty sad, huh?). You don't have to believe me, but I spent last Saturday re-watching about 8 full games in total (two Clemson/FSU games, Rice vs. Miss St., Missouri vs. South Carolina, LSU vs. Ole Miss, Ole Miss vs. Vandy, Texas v. Baylor and Oklahoma vs. Alabama). Yes, it's almost embarrassing to admit.

But hey, maybe I'm getting old and can't see straight any more, or maybe I'm biased. Or maybe you haven't see much beyond his YouTube clips. Who knows...but your impression of him doesn't match at all what's on my screen.
Game set match
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The problem is he'll be gone by the time the 49ers pick and I don't know that he's necessarily worth trading up for, especially if it means giving up a late 2nd rounder or even the Tennessee 3rd rounder.

If given the choice between having Cooks and say having Moncrief and another cornerback or even another receiver, I go with the latter. As we've seen with Baalke though if the 49ers are sold on Cooks, they'll move up to get him, that you can count on.

the salary cap is higher than expected this year, so hypothetically they could sign a good corner to a cheap 1 year deal... Moncrief isn't anything special, Cooks is.

You are mistaken. Cooks is slightly faster but I will give up that .1 difference in speed for the added physicality. Moncrief will fit better in our offense.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Garlicboy do you watch us on offense?
Do you know the types of plays we run?
Do you realize we never run a screen?

I ask all those questions because Sammy Watkins last year
caught 59% of his passes on designed screens.

Why on earth would a power running team trade into the top 10
and draft a WR that doesn't fit our offensive philosophy?
Because of the surprise.
Have you ever thought about the possibiility that we almost never run screens because we dont have the players for that?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Like he killed TY Hilton?

When you have true, legit speed and quickness, its really difficult for the more physical, bigger defensive backs to deal with.

Man, Sherman looked like a n00b
Easily Mike Evans. He's used to playing with contact already. Watch videos of him and take note of how he still catches the ball with CB mauling him.

Aside from Evans, I think we look at Lee and Cooks. Lee is a deep threat and Cooks is the speedy route runner. Both have great production to back up their talent.
After reading up on Jordan Mathews I think we should draft him he's 6'3 runs fast and is jerry rice's cousin! Plus he put up creat numbers against the best competition.
M-O-N-C-R-I-E-F
Share 49ersWebzone