There are 170 users in the forums

Which WR would be best matchup vs. Seahawks D & best complement Boldin, Patton & D

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The problem is he'll be gone by the time the 49ers pick and I don't know that he's necessarily worth trading up for, especially if it means giving up a late 2nd rounder or even the Tennessee 3rd rounder.

If given the choice between having Cooks and say having Moncrief and another cornerback or even another receiver, I go with the latter. As we've seen with Baalke though if the 49ers are sold on Cooks, they'll move up to get him, that you can count on.

the salary cap is higher than expected this year, so hypothetically they could sign a good corner to a cheap 1 year deal... Moncrief isn't anything special, Cooks is.
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
the salary cap is higher than expected this year, so hypothetically they could sign a good corner to a cheap 1 year deal... Moncrief isn't anything special, Cooks is.

I disagree 100%. I think Moncrief has outstanding potential and a tremendous ceiling. A 6'2", 220+ guy with athleticism like he has, his ability to get separation and his tremendous leaping ability is a weapon that can always be utilized. He's the closest thing to Josh Gordon in this draft.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
There are only so many characters I can fit into the title, but for arguments sake, we're looking at the FUTURE.

Obviously, but going forward meaning FUTURE we don't know if the 49ers can afford him, especially if they are planning on extending Boldin. In addition, extending Kaepernick for $15-$16 per year is going to take a huge chunk of the salary cap. It's just a reality that Crabtree and/or Iupati shall become the odd man/men out.

Also, notice that I also put in there that Vance McDonald and Dereck Carrier are mentioned as Vernon Davis is 30 years old.
the team will keep Crabtree they found out his true value to this team when he was out. Its more likely we keep Crabtree long term rather than boldin imo. Boldin is 34 if we plan our FUTURE around him we are thinking short sited
Originally posted by prhyme:
the team will keep Crabtree they found out his true value to this team when he was out. Its more likely we keep Crabtree long term rather than boldin imo. Boldin is 34 if we plan our FUTURE around him we are thinking short sited

I would be ecstatic if the team kept Crabtree. Crabtree is a good receiver but good also equals EXPENSIVE!

Baltimore didn't want to trade Boldin last year to us, they were forced to because of the salary cap.

Ummm he's 5 inches taller, way heavier and a 10th of a second slower. That's a special prospect if you ask me or any of the PROFESSIONALS in the scouting dept.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
I would be ecstatic if the team kept Crabtree. Crabtree is a good receiver but good also equals EXPENSIVE!

Baltimore didn't want to trade Boldin last year to us, they were forced to because of the salary cap.

I'm in no way diminishing what boldin brings to the team, I'm merely saying signing a 34 yr old long term vs a receiver in his prime doesn't make much sense for building. Having said that I think we need both to compete with Seattle. I hope we find a way to keep him. Go niners
With all the WR depth in this draft, the Niners could get a good to great WR without giving up anything. Guys like Watkins and Evans are now probably out of their reach, but similar guys like Matthews and Moncrief are probably going to be available.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
With all the WR depth in this draft, the Niners could get a good to great WR without giving up anything. Guys like Watkins and Evans are now probably out of their reach, but similar guys like Matthews and Moncrief are probably going to be available.

how much would it cost to get Moncrief AND Matthews?
The problem is he'll be gone by the time the 49ers pick and I don't know that he's necessarily worth trading up for, especially if it means giving up a late 2nd rounder or even the Tennessee 3rd rounder.

If given the choice between having Cooks and say having Moncrief and another cornerback or even another receiver, I go with the latter. As we've seen with Baalke though if the 49ers are sold on Cooks, they'll move up to get him, that you can count on.

I'll assume you studied him closely and have a reason for your opinion. What is it about Moncrief that makes you feel he isn't anything special? Size, speed, lack of production in the toughest conference in college football?
I disagree 100%. I think Moncrief has outstanding potential and a tremendous ceiling. A 6'2", 220+ guy with athleticism like he has, his ability to get separation and his tremendous leaping ability is a weapon that can always be utilized. He's the closest thing to Josh Gordon in this draft.

I"m so weary of these big, speedy receivers because a lot of them don't pan out. Charles Rogers, Yatil Green, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones are just a few. Beside that, I'm not sure Moncrief could get open against Seattle.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'll assume you studied him closely and have a reason for your opinion. What is it about Moncrief that makes you feel he isn't anything special? Size, speed, lack of production in the toughest conference in college football?

well I have seen a few of his games, I have a life so I can't just study college players all day. Doesn't use his hands to get open which won't cut it in the NFL. He was rarely pressed, just given a segway to being open. Seahawks defenders will be all over him if he just tries the old shake and bake. His hands are not good either. Rarely can a player learn to improve his catching, Vernon being the exception. I'd rather take a guy like Landry or Cooks. Run blocking is not outstanding either. He's athletic no doubt about it but so is everyone else in the NFL.
I think Moncrief in the Z position against Sherman (just as big, much faster vertical threat and gets off the LOS well), Crabtree playing the X against whoever is their left CB and Boldin in the slot abusing their nickel corner would be awesome. Throw in VD at the Y to work the middle of the field and you might actually be able to string 4 or 5 scoring drives against them.

Not saying Harbaugh/Roman would do this, but it's worth trying given how not much else they've done against Seattle has worked.

well I have seen a few of his games, I have a life so I can't just study college players all day. Doesn't use his hands to get open which won't cut it in the NFL. He was rarely pressed, just given a segway to being open. Seahawks defenders will be all over him if he just tries the old shake and bake. His hands are not good either. Rarely can a player learn to improve his catching, Vernon being the exception. I'd rather take a guy like Landry or Cooks. Run blocking is not outstanding either. He's athletic no doubt about it but so is everyone else in the NFL.

Right....

Evans or Cooks help us the most. They are probably both gone though.
Right....

well where am I wrong? He's more likely the next Limas Sweed than Josh Gordon.
Share 49ersWebzone