LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Which WR would be best matchup vs. Seahawks D & best complement Boldin, Patton & D

Just a different way of looking at things not just based on combine results, but how the fit on 49ers and matchup against Seahawks DB's.

CB: Richard Sherman 6'3" 195 lbs 4.54 forty
CB: Byron Maxwell 6'1" 207 lbs 4.43 forty
CB: Walter Thurmond 5'11' 190 lbs 4.53 forty
CB: Jeremy Lane 6' 190 lbs 4.48 forty
SS: Kam Chancellor 6'3" 232 lbs 4.62 forty
FS: Earl Thomas 5'9" 202 lbs 4.43 forty

1.) Speedy WR's gave Seahawks trouble

2.) 49ers WR's Patton average speed 4.53 forty, Boldin slow 4.7 forty, and Vernon Davis- fastest TE in league 4.38 forty.
* I omitted Michael Crabtree as he is a free agent and may or not be signed.
* TE's Vance McDonald and Dereck Carrier could factor into the future as well as Vernon Davis is 30 years old.

vs. Sherman, Speedy, Strong and long
vs. Earl Thomas, Height really helps as well as physicality
vs. Kam Chancellor, speed will really help

* TOUGHNESS!!! I think however is the 1st priority.
* Physicality without speed/quickness does not work well, see Boldin Week 2 vs. Richard Sherman

- Sammy Watkins, checks all the boxes, perhaps it's worth it to move up and snag him.
- Donte Moncreif, Jordan Mathews, Maratavis Bryant Jeff Janis and to a lesser extent Davante Adams fit the Speedy, Strong and Long bill.
- Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham and Tevin Reese fit the TY Hilton mold
- Marquis Lee is he healed from his knee injuries? Is he physical and tough enough?

*sorry, a little too obsessed with 40 times, can you blame me. Combine's a -itch
Crabtree is not a free agent...
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Crabtree is not a free agent...

This, he's under contract for 2014.
We could also add, which CB would be the best fit to cover Percy Harvin all over the field.

I thought you'd need Elite speed to go along with the skills, but do you need elite speed to become a top flight Cover Corner? (See Richard Sherman's 4.53 forty).

Let's see what happens tomorrow.
Originally posted by sfout:
This, he's under contract for 2014.

There are only so many characters I can fit into the title, but for arguments sake, we're looking at the FUTURE.

Obviously, but going forward meaning FUTURE we don't know if the 49ers can afford him, especially if they are planning on extending Boldin. In addition, extending Kaepernick for $15-$16 per year is going to take a huge chunk of the salary cap. It's just a reality that Crabtree and/or Iupati shall become the odd man/men out.

Also, notice that I also put in there that Vance McDonald and Dereck Carrier are mentioned as Vernon Davis is 30 years old.
[ Edited by Garlicboy on Feb 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM ]
People...please stop even bringing up a possible trade for Watkins or the other receivers predicted to go top 15.
Originally posted by genus49:
People...please stop even bringing up a possible trade for Watkins or the other receivers predicted to go top 15.

Why?
Garlicboy do you watch us on offense?
Do you know the types of plays we run?
Do you realize we never run a screen?

I ask all those questions because Sammy Watkins last year
caught 59% of his passes on designed screens.

Why on earth would a power running team trade into the top 10
and draft a WR that doesn't fit our offensive philosophy?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by genus49:

Why?

The cynic in me says that teams will look at last year and say we swindled the Cowboys, by only giving up a 3rd rounder outside of swapping the firsts, we produced pro bowl caliber rookie safety. Try and gouge an extra pick out of us and say "you must think he can be as good of an impact rookie as Reid was in 2013".

The last big trade was the Falcons getting Julio Jones from 27 to 6 or 21 total spots up. They gave up 5 picks, 2011 first, 2nd, 4th and 2012 1st and 4th to get him......

In comparison we moved from 31 to 18 or 13 total spots. We gave up 2012 first and 2012 3rd. I know I'm not factoring in the Value Chart but we moved 2/3s the spots that Atlanta did and only gave up 2/5s of the cost.

Trading into the top 10 would cost equal to what the Falcons gave up if not an extra pick because we'd be doing it from 3 spots deeper in the draft. Realistically the lone team we can home to trade up with is the Titans, if Evans or Watkins somehow by the grace of the football gods falls past Oakland and Detroit, the 10th pick, we'd have to jump in front of St. Louis @ 12 (may want a big WR to compliment Austin), Pittsburgh at 15 (telegraphing that their first or second will be used on a big WR to placate Big Ben), the Ravens @ 17 (still looking for a Boldin replacement to compliment Smith), Jets @ 18 (telegraphing that they need new WRs).

Any one of those teams could jump into the top 10 at a much cheaper cost to get Watkins, Evans, or Cooks who may be pushing himself into top 20 consideration now.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM ]
Cooks would likely do very well against Seattle and would be a nice contrast from the other receivers the 49ers have but I see him going somewhere in the mid teens to mid 20's. I think Moncrief with his deep speed and array of moves to get open would work well, he's got some nice size to him too. Jordan Matthews is another guy I can see being successful. Beyond, a Robert Herron type who can glide downfield would also be a useful weapon to throw out there against them.

Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Why?

Because it won't happen and its stupid to even attempt it. As I've said before, Atlanta lost that Julio Jones trade. Yes they've got a great receiver, they've got holes all over their defense and will now have to give Jones a monster contract if they hope to retain him. Meanwhile, they could have 3-4 potential defensive starters as well as Torrey Smith had they just kept their original picks. As talented as Watkins is, there's going to be plenty of guys who turn out to very good NFL receivers that will be found throughout this draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Cooks would likely do very well against Seattle and would be a nice contrast from the other receivers the 49ers have but I see him going somewhere in the mid teens to mid 20's. I think Moncrief with his deep speed and array of moves to get open would work well, he's got some nice size to him too. Jordan Matthews is another guy I can see being successful. Beyond, a Robert Herron type who can glide downfield would also be a useful weapon to throw out there against them.

Yup Cooks all the way! Big, strong guys won't beat the Seahawks press. TY Hilton had great success against Seattle, you have to beat these guys with speed and quickness.
Beckham may be the pick. He's a tough WR. Great hands, explosive 4.43. Nice. I like Cooks too, but he's a tad too small. I can see Chancellor killing him.
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Yup Cooks all the way! Big, strong guys won't beat the Seahawks press. TY Hilton had great success against Seattle, you have to beat these guys with speed and quickness.

The problem is he'll be gone by the time the 49ers pick and I don't know that he's necessarily worth trading up for, especially if it means giving up a late 2nd rounder or even the Tennessee 3rd rounder.

If given the choice between having Cooks and say having Moncrief and another cornerback or even another receiver, I go with the latter. As we've seen with Baalke though if the 49ers are sold on Cooks, they'll move up to get him, that you can count on.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:07 PM ]
Originally posted by wailers15:
Beckham may be the pick. He's a tough WR. Great hands, explosive 4.43. Nice. I like Cooks too, but he's a tad too small. I can see Chancellor killing him.

Like he killed TY Hilton?

When you have true, legit speed and quickness, its really difficult for the more physical, bigger defensive backs to deal with.

Share 49ersWebzone