LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Bradley Roby - Ohio State

Never liked Roby, Ahmed Plummer was at least good coming out of college, Roby is not a physical corner NOT a fit
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Just like Kaep, this kid didn't do anything wrong except win the bad timing awards. With his record and the draft two weeks away, he shouldn't be involved with anything remotely illegal because it will hurt his draft stock. In regards to the Niners, it probably means Roby is off their board. Niners have enough negative publicity to deal with already.

Yeah not smart just due to timing....but really his BAC was well within the legal range and he was still trying to sleep it off. I think this would be a calculated gamble on Baalke's part...trade up and get a play-making WR and catch Roby in the second if everybody else is dumb enough to let him fall that far.
Chris Biderman ‏@ChrisBiderman 1m Source: former #OhioState cornerback Bradley Roby visited the #49ers hours after apparent OVI charge http://sfo.scout.com/a.z?s=69&p=9&c=2&cid=1397275&nid=6935923&fhn=1 …
Originally posted by valrod33:
Chris Biderman ‏@ChrisBiderman 1m Source: former #OhioState cornerback Bradley Roby visited the #49ers hours after apparent OVI charge http://sfo.scout.com/a.z?s=69&p=9&c=2&cid=1397275&nid=6935923&fhn=1 …

Originally posted by valrod33:

Damn that sux, hope to god someone else drafts him before we get a chance.
Originally posted by CWin4949:

I'm guessing you've never seen him play? Or did are you scared off by an assault charge?
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by CWin4949:

I'm guessing you've never seen him play? Or did are you scared off by an assault charge?

Seen him play numerous times, could careless about the assault charge.

I just think there's better options for the current defense, for a rookie to step in and make a better, more productive impact.
Whoever does get Roby will be getting a steal. He has the je ne sais quoi of an all pro player.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
CB Metrics are a nice compliment to watching film but they do not represent fact nor can they be used as a sole basis for an argument. You are the one who is using a statistic to drive home one factor about the player yet you failed to mention the other factors in play in doing so, thus it appears the point your making is skewed or somewhat biased from my perspective (maybe that was not your intention but that is how I perceived it). His burn percentage does not illustrate how good his coverage skills are or are not. Statistics can be easily skewed to illustrate a point.

One thing that is clear when looking at the game tapes for 2013 is that Dennard and Verrett on tape alone definitely proved they belong in the first round conversation, but that 2013 game tape is not the only factor in play. All things considered they both probably belong somewhere within the 15-35 range. Unfortunately I can't say the same about Roby and even at best it's hard to say he is a fringe first round talent off of that tape, and it cannot be blamed all on the coaches or scheme. He does some things very well, but there is enough on that 2013 tape to make one weary about taking a guy inside the top 32. All things considered (including the off the field stuff and given our situation with offseason arrests and need at the CB position) I would not take Roby inside the first 2 rounds. Taking the off the field stuff out of the equation, I'd have been okay with Roby as early as about 50 (mid second) but not before.

That is my whole point. To look at stats without the tape is nonsense. What must be said though is that Robys 10 percent burn rate while in man coverage is legit. While playing man, especially press man, he rarely gets target or beat on tape.

As an example lets take a look at the Wisconsin game.

The box score read that Abbrederis torched Roby recording 10 catches for 207 yards and a touchdown but in reality when Roby was asked to play to his strengths he held his own.
Roby pressed Abbrederis on 21 out of 57 snaps. Out of those 21 snaps QB Joel Stave targeted Abredderis seven times and completed two passes while Roby brock up two passes.
The other completions came while Ohio State played zone and did everything to stop Wisconsins rushing attack.
Here is what Roby had to say about that game.
In Ohio State's Big Ten opener against Wisconsin, the Buckeyes' defensive game plan centered on stopping the Badgers' vaunted running game, which it mostly did — but with a price. Wisconsin receiver Jared Abbrederis had a huge game, catching 10 passes for 207 yards and a touchdown. Critics blamed Roby."That's from people who don't really watch football or really know what's going on," Roby said. "I think that's the fans who see a couple big plays and try to attribute that (to one player). At the end of the day, I had eight tackles, three pass breakups, a pick, and we won the game. That would be a great game for everybody (else)."

Not that Roby was satisfied with his performance.

"I didn't play as well as I should have, I know that," he said. "I was kind of out there (on an island), but that's what I enjoy to do. We held an offense that was rushing for 300 yards a game to only 100 yards. (Abbrederis) had 10 catches for 200 yards, (but) he only caught four against me."

Regarding Robys arrest and his mistakes last season please look at post #34 in this thread. I posted a few facts and statements there.

Speaking about Verrett.
As I stated numerous times on tape he is may favorite CB this year. But his actual burn rate is not that great either.

Here are Verretts numbers ( without his last game against Baylor )
He had 269 snaps against the pass and was targeted 40 times. 15 were completions, 12 defensed, 2 intercepted, 8 missed, and 4 pass interference. This is a burn rate of 47.5 percent / when lined up in man coverage he had a burn rate of 34 percent.

Like you I´m also a fan of Dennard too. What scares me though is that he could get flagged a lot at the pros for holding. Also there were quite a few times that the only thing that saved Dennard from getting beaten badly on a deep ball was safety help over the top. With Christian Bryant out for the season Roby did not have that luxury last season.

Given the fact that all our current CB´s excel in man coverage I just think that Roby is the best fit / value pick. He is not my favorite player.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I've seen the games, he looked lost in the sauce out on the field more often than not. He did get lit up like a Christmas tree at times, guys were having career games against him and making him look silly. He showed a lack of real instincts on where the play was going, kept getting caught peeking at the CB and having his guy go right past him. Put on the Cal game from this past season and tell me that is a guy that should be drafted anywhere near the 1st round.

Guys who regress their final year in college don't typically do all that well in the NFL. If I see that Dennard, Gilbert and Verrett have all been progressing and improving, why take a chance on a knucklehead like Roby who to me has a tremendous bust factor. I'm sorry, you can be a fan of him as you have a right to be, but don't try to convince me that he didn't have a bad season. I could care less about his athleticism or ability, something that nobody is questioning, its what is going on between his ears that people worry about and the hardest concern to diagnose.

If it had been injury issues I would understand but he simply looked lost out there at times, he got beat by average to mediocre receivers so why should I feel any better about his pro prospects?

Lol you can´t help yourself can you ?
Everytime you want to prove your points you bring up either the Wisconsin or the Cal game. Those games are the two worst of his entire career and the reason that his draft stock took a significant hit. But aside from those two Roby actually played in 33 other games over his career and those are the reason that he is a 1st round talent.

Yes what an idiot he is. He actually tried to protect himself in that bar. Video proved it. Charges were dropped. Please keep someone like that as far away from our team as possible. There were a lot of different reasons why his play regressed last year. I posted them all before and will no do it again. Also he was honored first-team all-Big Ten by both coaches and media for his horrible season.

[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM ]

Originally posted by DeUh:
I've seen the games, he looked lost in the sauce out on the field more often than not. He did get lit up like a Christmas tree at times, guys were having career games against him and making him look silly. He showed a lack of real instincts on where the play was going, kept getting caught peeking at the CB and having his guy go right past him. Put on the Cal game from this past season and tell me that is a guy that should be drafted anywhere near the 1st round.

Guys who regress their final year in college don't typically do all that well in the NFL. If I see that Dennard, Gilbert and Verrett have all been progressing and improving, why take a chance on a knucklehead like Roby who to me has a tremendous bust factor. I'm sorry, you can be a fan of him as you have a right to be, but don't try to convince me that he didn't have a bad season. I could care less about his athleticism or ability, something that nobody is questioning, its what is going on between his ears that people worry about and the hardest concern to diagnose.

If it had been injury issues I would understand but he simply looked lost out there at times, he got beat by average to mediocre receivers so why should I feel any better about his pro prospects?

Everytime you want to prove your points you bring up either the Wisconsin or the Cal game. Those games are the two worst of his entire career and the reason that his draft stock took a significant hit. But aside from those two Roby actually played in 33 other games over his career and those are the reason that he is a 1st round talent.

Yes what an idiot he is. He actually tried to protect himself in that bar. Video proved it. Charges were dropped. Please keep someone like that as far away from our team as possible. There were a lot of different reasons why his play regressed last year. I posted them all before and will no do it again. Also he was honored first-team all-Big Ten by both coaches and media for his horrible season.

For someone "bored with this" you sure are posting a lot in this thread.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
For someone "bored with this" you sure are posting a lot in this thread.

Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Roby is not a physical corner NOT a fit

Are you kidding me? Roby might be the most physical CB in the draft. He hits like a bullet.
Originally posted by DeUh:

Since everyone mentions Cal or Wisconsin games, here's him vs. Northwestern. A week after the Wisconsin game. Minus the blocked punt, tell me 1 good play he had in this game. All I see is him out of position and alot of missed tackles.

I find it interesting that Maddog who is a huge Ohio St. homer and has Shazier and Hyde as his 8th and 9th ranked players in the entire draft doesnt have Roby among his top 50 players. Perhaps its because he was Roby get burned way too many times.
Share 49ersWebzone