LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Bradley Roby - Ohio State

Went back like 10 pages & didn't find a Bradley Roby thread.

I find it mind boggling that most people I've seen rate this guy have him as a 2nd round pick. You simply don't find CB prospects with his combination of quickness & willingness to hit very often.

I think Jason Verrett's man coverage is the best in this draft, and Roby's a little raw (which is understandable because Roby's a junior), but I'd still take Roby over any other CB in this draft. His ceiling is the highest of any CB since Patrick Peterson IMO. Along with Moncrief (and maybe Tuitt), he's the other guy I think the Niners simply must have if he goes where most people are projecting him.
I like Roby a lot. I know, his Senior year wasn't so good but a lot of cornerbacks aren't very consistent in college. Like you said, though... you can't teach his ability. Outstanding hips and quickness and will likely run in the 4.3's. Straight up beast in the run game, too. Ohio State plays a very, very soft defense. Corners are often giving 8-10 yard cushions pre-snap and begin backpedaling before the ball is even snapped. It's a very conservative Cover-3 look and it puts a lot of stress on the corners. Go ahead and watch the Clemson game if you need further proof.

There still isn't a corner I'd take over him, to be honest.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Went back like 10 pages & didn't find a Bradley Roby thread.

I find it mind boggling that most people I've seen rate this guy have him as a 2nd round pick. You simply don't find CB prospects with his combination of quickness & willingness to hit very often.

I think Jason Verrett's man coverage is the best in this draft, and Roby's a little raw (which is understandable because Roby's a junior), but I'd still take Roby over any other CB in this draft. His ceiling is the highest of any CB since Patrick Peterson IMO. Along with Moncrief (and maybe Tuitt), he's the other guy I think the Niners simply must have if he goes where most people are projecting him.

Not impressed. He's a great athlete, good for him. He got repeatedly lit up this season and struggled in coverage, looked lost out on the field, bit on double moves far too frequently. Has the highest boom or bust factor of any CB in this draft IMO.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not impressed. He's a great athlete, good for him. He got repeatedly lit up this season and struggled in coverage, looked lost out on the field, bit on double moves far too frequently. Has the highest boom or bust factor of any CB in this draft IMO.

I hate that phrase... it's so cliche and it's a stupid generalization to make. I've seen plug 'n play guys bust completely. Just because someone is raw that doesn't necessarily mean he lacks technique and can't play. With the way our staff develops defensive backs it gives me even more confidence.

And yes, he got beat last season... what about it? He was the best player on the entire team his freshman year and was outstanding as a sophomore, too.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
I hate that phrase... it's so cliche and it's a stupid generalization to make. I've seen plug 'n play guys bust completely. Just because someone is raw that doesn't necessarily mean he lacks technique and can't play. With the way our staff develops defensive backs it gives me even more confidence.

And yes, he got beat last season... what about it? He was the best player on the entire team his freshman year and was outstanding as a sophomore, too.

Great players ALWAYS peak in their freshman year of college.................said nobody ever. Unless there was some undisclosed injury such as what Verrett was suffering from, I see him as a huge risk. Whether or not you like that phrase or not, its accurate for Roby. Huge bust potential. I can see a guy like Dennard being picked or Gilbert and at worse being average cornerback's, I can see Roby being out of the NFL completely in under 3 years in his worst case scenario.

He's got phenomenal athleticism but watching some of his performances this year......just brutal. He can pretty much refer to Jared Abbrederis as "daddy" for the foreseeable future.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Yeah, but being good early is not always good especially if a player gets full of himself.

His coverage skills are not bad, but he, at least as I understand it, does not have his head in the game--and is undisciplined. He got burned a bunch this year--and it was not necessary.

I am intrigued by him and I do think that Donatell and Fangio could possibly coach him up and get him to play within himself and the scheme.

But, he will not be drafted by Baalke unless the team is convinced that he has a good attitude.
Roby has a burn percentage of 10 percent in press man and off-man coverage. He has 31 percent burn rate in zone. He was abused by Abbrederis but shut down Allen Robinson. IMO, if we draft him he will play press man and off-man which he seems to excel at. You add in the fact that he runs in the 4.3's and his sophmore year (where he was an All-American) he had a front seven way better than this years we have the recipe to strike gold with him on this team. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1927942-bradley-roby-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-ohio-state-cb#articles/1927942-bradley-roby-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-ohio-state-cb
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM ]
Great players ALWAYS peak in their freshman year of college.................said nobody ever. Unless there was some undisclosed injury such as what Verrett was suffering from, I see him as a huge risk. Whether or not you like that phrase or not, its accurate for Roby. Huge bust potential. I can see a guy like Dennard being picked or Gilbert and at worse being average cornerback's, I can see Roby being out of the NFL completely in under 3 years in his worst case scenario.

He's got phenomenal athleticism but watching some of his performances this year......just brutal. He can pretty much refer to Jared Abbrederis as "daddy" for the foreseeable future.

Ah, yes, you saw the one game where he got the brakes beat off of him and you heard Mayock and a few other talking heads talking about his poor season. Very nice.

The kid can play... period. And politics alone make it damn near impossible for a kid with Roby's talent to be out of the NFL in three years.
Ah, yes, you saw the one game where he got the brakes beat off of him and you heard Mayock and a few other talking heads talking about his poor season. Very nice.

The kid can play... period. And politics alone make it damn near impossible for a kid with Roby's talent to be out of the NFL in three years.

You sound like a butt hurt OSU fan, you know that right? I'm not doubting that Roby has a lot of talent, I'm simply saying that there's several cornerbacks I feel much better about, who stepped up and played relatively well in their final year in college.

Not sure what you mean by politics but there have been more talented players than Roby who have washed out of the NFL in a very short period of time, he wouldn't be the first or the last. If he gets his head right, he can be a good NFL cornerback, but he didn't really show much this past season, even against generally lesser quality competition.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Talent quite frequently is not sufficient. Discipline and work ethic are also needed.

His physical traits are excellent. That is not my concern.

I do not question his football skill set.

Bradley Roby and Jason Verrett have defended more passes in the past two years than any other cornerback in this draft class--35. Verrett does have three more picks than Roby. Verrett played in 24 games and Roby 23.

I worry about his mind, his character, work ethic--his intangibles.

If Baalke, Fangio and Donatell decide to draft him, I would be pleased, because that would mean that they are confident that Roby is willing and capable of learning the pro game--and he has great potential.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:40 PM ]

Originally posted by buck:
Talent quite frequently is not sufficient. Discipline and work ethic are also needed.

His physical traits are excellent. That is not my concern.

I do not question his football skill set.

Bradley Roby and Jason Verrett have defended more passes in the past two years than any other cornerback in this draft class--35. Verrett does have three more picks than Roby. Verrett played in 24 games and Roby 23.

I worry about his mind, his character, work ethic--his intangibles.

This. Talent alone in the NFL isn't enough, you have to have everything else to go with it. If Roby suffered from a lingering injury such as the one he had the previous year, then so be it, but beyond that, the only thing that can be said is that he needs to get his head right.
Pass on him
I agree if we aren't going to trade up I say Bradley or Tuitt
Originally posted by Since07:
I agree if we aren't going to trade up I say Bradley or Tuitt

Tuitt might be there in the 2nd round if his foot injury is serious & he isn't able to run at pro day.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
Roby IMO is the top corner for the Niners in this draft. He has size (5'10"+), speed (sub 4.4), and playmaking ability.
Share 49ersWebzone