There are 269 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who would you rather the 49ers draft in the 1st round? Big WR or Speed WR?

Who would you rather the 49ers draft in the 1st round? Big WR or Speed WR?

  • DeUh
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,472
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Donte Moncrief or Jordan Matthews, none other should be discussed.

This.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by xela510:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Closer to 6'2", 220, but that's still good size.

Would you take him at 30? What are his flaws?

I would. He's more of a vertical threat than a traditional WCO-type. He's not going to run around like a Sammy Watkins putting moves on guys, but he can take a short pass, make one move then turn it up field for a score. But he can definitely blow by DBs and force defenses to keep a safety over top of his side of the field. That alone makes him valuable to us.

I think we can get him with one of our 2nd round picks.

Everyone calm down. DB´s, Safetys, OLB´s and D-Line all still coming !

Also there were quite a few RB´s who helped themselve today.

It's possible, but I lean towards the Baalke approach to drafting. If I like a prospect, I'm not going to get cute, trade down or wait for that guy to fall to me. If i like someone, I'm going after them. So if I were the GM, I'd take him and not look back. It worked for us in 2010 with Iupati/Davis, in 2011 with the seemingly over-drafted Aldon and it worked last year when many people thought Reid would be there in the late first (or even early 2nd). AJJ is the only swing and miss with this approach, so I like the odds of being aggressive as opposed to waiting/trading back.
  • DeUh
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,472
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by xela510:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Closer to 6'2", 220, but that's still good size.

Would you take him at 30? What are his flaws?

I would. He's more of a vertical threat than a traditional WCO-type. He's not going to run around like a Sammy Watkins putting moves on guys, but he can take a short pass, make one move then turn it up field for a score. But he can definitely blow by DBs and force defenses to keep a safety over top of his side of the field. That alone makes him valuable to us.

I think we can get him with one of our 2nd round picks.

Everyone calm down. DB´s, Safetys, OLB´s and D-Line all still coming !

Also there were quite a few RB´s who helped themselve today.

It's possible, but I lean towards the Baalke approach to drafting. If I like a prospect, I'm not going to get cute, trade down or wait for that guy to fall to me. If i like someone, I'm going after them. So if I were the GM, I'd take him and not look back. It worked for us in 2010 with Iupati/Davis, in 2011 with the seemingly over-drafted Aldon and it worked last year when many people thought Reid would be there in the late first (or even early 2nd). AJJ is the only swing and miss with this approach, so I like the odds of being aggressive as opposed to waiting/trading back.

That is the reason why the draft process is so difficult.
To FIND the players you want is the easy part. To GET them that is the hard part !
I have absolutely no problem with that approach. I just try to calm everyone down a little ! There are a LOT of players considered 1-2 rounders and the defense is still coming
Moncrief definitely helped himself tremendously with his performance today. I would still have him as a 1 - 2 round prospect in THIS years class. In any other class most definitely a first round prospect.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 23, 2014 at 5:38 PM ]
I'm after the fast guy but there happens to be a couple of guys that have both.

It feels good knowing that we can target whoever we want outside of the top 10 and go get them. So much value in the middle of the 1st through to the 3rd & 4th rounds. Looks like a really deep class. I almost feel like the teams picking at the top of the draft are going to be the ones missing out.
Kelvin Benjamin has the highest ceiling in this draft. We are complete idiots if we do not do everything we can to get this guy. He is the answer to all of our red zone problems.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Matthews with our 30th, Moncrief with our 60th.

1) Moncrief 2) Matthews 3) Patton



Also trade up with our other 2nd rounder + 4th rounder and get Joyner or Verett.


Now here a man with a great plan !!!! I'm on this wagon
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Both...which would be Moncrief.

This.
So you guys want a WR that's let's say 6-4 230lbs runs a 4.50 40, Bench Press 20 reps and Vert Jumps 42in ?

No thanks we already have that. I want a WR who is a football player not a gym warrior.

Brandin Cooks or Marqise Lee and move up in the 1st round to get one of these WR. This draft will have plenty of good CBs and OC in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Originally posted by Ice49er:
So you guys want a WR that's let's say 6-4 230lbs runs a 4.50 40, Bench Press 20 reps and Vert Jumps 42in ?

No thanks we already have that. I want a WR who is a football player not a gym warrior.

Brandin Cooks or Marqise Lee and move up in the 1st round to get one of these WR. This draft will have plenty of good CBs and OC in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.


I'd be on board for Cooks but I'll pass on Lee unless he falls a long way down.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Both...which would be Moncrief.

yes yes yes
I think this draft is 100% about getting players that can have success against Seattle. Roman talks about having speed to force Seattle's safeties back into coverage, which makes me think Cooks or Moncrief could be the guy in the 2nd.

Right now though, I think Baalke is drooling over Mike Evans. He's probably the most physical WR available and defenders mauled him all year, which gives him an edge against Seattle's physical DBs as compared to any other draftable WR. If he slides a little, I think we jump.
I want both Donte Moncrief & Martavias Bryant.
Martavias Bryant is fast, in my opinion i would rather take him than Watkins.

Also why has Mike Evans name not been dropped yet?

He is among the biggest and fastest receivers in the draft.
The Niners will end up with one of the following:
Cooks, Moncreif, Beckham, Lee. Pretty unlikely they get two of them.

My question is who is the second WR they draft?
Herron, Janis, etc in later rounds.

I love the idea of Moncrief and a smaller Welker like slot.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Martavias Bryant is fast, in my opinion i would rather take him than Watkins.

Also why has Mike Evans name not been dropped yet?

He is among the biggest and fastest receivers in the draft.
Better than Watkins? Maybe as an athlete not as a WR. And Evans is out of range. Be realistic.