There are 197 users in the forums

49ers H-Back Prospects Thread

Looking around this draft, I see quite a few guys that can fill the H-back/Delanie Walker role for the 49ers potentially. I'll keep adding guys throughout the Combine and off-season as they complete their various workouts. Here are some initial possibilities, not ranking them in any particular order.

1. Trey Burton-TE/WR/FB-Florida-6'2", 222-4.62 40. Burton has played a wide variety of roles at Florida, he could stand to add some weight and has limited blocking experience but possesses good speed to be a threat downfield.

2. A.C. Leonard-TE-Tennessee State-6'3", 252-4.50 40. Much more of a "move" tight end, Formerly of Florida, has some character issues, needs improvement as a blocker.

3. Reggie Jordan-TE-Western Missouri-6'2", 240-4.77 40. More of a small school project, looked very fluid in the Combine drills, appears to be faster than his 40 time might indicate.

4. Trey Millard-FB/TE-Oklahoma-6'2", 247. Still recovering from injury, accomplished as a lead blocker, runner and receiver. My favorite, was looked at as a potential 2nd or 3rd rounder prior to his injury.

5. Quincy Enunwa-WR-Nebraska-6'2", 225. Physical wide receiver, similar in some ways to Chris Harper from last year's draft. More accomplished as a blocker, certainly has the frame and physicality to take on the H-back role.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 22, 2014 at 12:01 PM ]
Trey Burton for me. He has already shown he can play a variety of roles and would add speed which the 49ers need
Trey Burton->

Trey Millard-

Quincy Enunwa-

Reggie Jordan-

AC Leonard-

Originally posted by saniner:
Trey Burton for me. He has already shown he can play a variety of roles and would add speed which the 49ers need

The two things that give me pause on Burton.

1. Size. Walker was around 240, Burton is about 20 pounds lighter which leads into my next point.

2. Blocking Very raw as a blocker, its certainly something he could pick up but its why I have Millard ahead of him right now, he's had a substantial amount of blocking experience at Oklahoma. Now Burton is faster than Millard, more developed as a route runner so there's pro's and con's all around.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I'm compelled to add my Utah guy Anthony Denham to this list

6'4" 235 w/ 10.5" hands

Major downside was the 4.77 40 time.

He's got a great hands but he's just a lazy route runner.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Personally I´m a huge Enunwa fan. He is a athletic freak and plays with bad intentions !

Jordan really caught my eye today though.
Burton first, but would also love Enunwa! F it, lets get both! Enunwa can replace Osgood as a ST ace if nothing else
I've said it in other threads, but Jordan seems like a Baalke type pick to me. Athletic, small school guy that needs some coaching but has potential.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I've said it in other threads, but Jordan seems like a Baalke type pick to me. Athletic, small school guy that needs some coaching but has potential.

What can you say about his blocking ? Only saw him a few times and he looked good at it.
Originally posted by DeUh:

What can you say about his blocking ? Only saw him a few times and he looked good at it.

I've read it's good. Like most rookies (especially small school kids), they'll need to learn better technique and be coached up. But it seems he knows how to. According to nfl.com "Flashes the ability to bury defenders as a blocker -- rides them off the screen and has shown the ability to dominate lesser competition."

• DeUh
  • Veteran

I've read it's good. Like most rookies (especially small school kids), they'll need to learn better technique and be coached up. But it seems he knows how to. According to nfl.com "Flashes the ability to bury defenders as a blocker -- rides them off the screen and has shown the ability to dominate lesser competition."

Did a little research on my own.

Asked what his biggest strength is he answered " My biggest strength is my blocking abilities ".

Combine that with what he showed today and i´m impressed !
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM ]

Did a little research on my own.

Asked what his biggest strength is he answered " My biggest strength is my blocking abilities ".

Combine that with what he showed today at the combine and i´m impressed !
Plus his top 2 favorite players- Jerry Rice and Adrian Peterson. As a Rams fan (the only knock against him so far), gotta like that he shows Jerry love. Also compares himself to Jordan Reed of the Redskins.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Plus his top 2 favorite players- Jerry Rice and Adrian Peterson. As a Rams fan (the only knock against him so far), gotta like that he shows Jerry love. Also compares himself to Jordan Reed of the Redskins.

A cool random fact is that in the same interview he said his goal is to do 24 reps on bench. Mission accomplished.
Lots of similar discussion in this thread. Do the Mods want to merge these?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/176891-swiss-army-knife-options/search=Swiss]Link[/url]
Share 49ersWebzone