LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Combine has started but they haven't done drills yet, so here is my first Niners mock

Key Assumptions heading into camp:

Players resigned:
Whitner, Boldin, Dawson, Whilhoite

Players resigned or replaced on the cheap:
Cox and McCoy

Players moving on:
Rogers, Brown, Goodwin, Dixon

Our compensatory pick will be a 4th rounder per this story:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/7/5390950/49ers-comp-picks-2014-nfl-draft-fourth-round

1. Brandin Cooks WR Oregon St. 5-10 186
After trading back about 5 spots for a 4th round pick we take a receiver with elite quickness, enough speed to win on deep routes, a willingness to make tough catches over the middle, and the ability to score from anywhere on the field. Cooks is the kind of quick/shifty WR that has given the Seattle defense problems in the past and would also, along with Patton, provide the team a nice safety net incase Boldin or Crabtree get hurt.

2. Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech 6-0 190
In many of the mocks I've seen, Fuller comes off the board somewhere between 40 and 60, I think he gets drafted at the upper end of this range. To get there the Niners trade their 4th and 6th round picks. Fuller brings a nice combination of size, ball skills, toughness, and excellent change of direction. Could start right away if needed.

2. Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech 6-3 252
Powerful and athletic, can rush the passer with both speed and power moves. Sacked the QB 10 times in '12 and notched 12 more last year. Not an immediate need but the reality is that our starters have had problems with some of the basics such as calling cabs, shopping for assault rifles, and recycling beer bottles. Though I'm hopeful Brooks and Smith keep their noses clean and aware that we have good backups in Skuta and Lemonier, I see Attaochu becoming our 1st option off the bench on obvious passing downs.

3. Bashaud Breeland CB Clemson 6-0 185
Does a great job of running with receivers down the sideline and shows good footwork when covering short routes. Good sized physical corner who can cover bigger receivers. Displays good recovery speed and should be able to defend the comeback route. Willing hitter against the run, could be cross trained to play safety.

3. Brent Urban DE Virginia 6-6 298
Long and strong or strength and length whatever you want to call it, Urban brings with him a combination of excellent power and above average athleticism. Has a nonstop motor. Can man the 3/4 DE and move to the inside in a 4 man front on passing downs. IMO will be a better pro than TJE and good enough to be the eventual successor to Ray Mac.

4. Dion Bailey S USC 6-0 200
Versatile, assuming Whitner comes back would begin his career backing up both safety spots. Savvy player with a nose for the ball, makes a lot of tackles and had 9 interceptions the last 2 years, does a great job of reading the QB. Eventual starter but needed now because Reid has had 2 concussions and Dahl is brutal in coverage.

4. Devin Street WR Pittsburgh 6-3 195
Not a burner by any stretch but a player who is willing to make the tough catch over the middle knowing he is going to get blasted and will still come up with the ball. Street has the hands to come up with some impressive grabs on poorly thrown balls. Does a good job of finding holes in zone coverage, can play the slot, and can make the contested catch. Extremely competitive player who could contribute in his first year, especially if we have a rash of injuries at WR.

5. Brett Smith QB Wyoming 6-2 206
Lacks prototypical size and arm strength, but possesses very good quickness. Smith can throw on the run to his right or left equally well. Has excellent accuracy in the short middle of the field hitting the receiver in stride. Extends plays while scanning downfield for the open target and can gain yards with his legs.

7. Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma 6-0 186
Redshirt injury special
7. Spencer Long OG Nebraska 6-4 315
Redshirt injury special
7. Trey Millard FB 6-2 253
Redshirt injury special

[/u]
[ Edited by Needle on Feb 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM ]
AJ Jenkins 2.0
WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size with below average height and length for the position. Limited strength, muscle and overall growth potential. Struggles with physical defenders and doesn't have ideal body strength - will be overwhelmed in man coverage. Looks to avoid contact and would much rather escape out of bounds or go around defenses. Needs to secure the ball through the process to eliminate drops and fumbles. Smallish target for quarterbacks.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1880880/brandin-cooks
Originally posted by solidg2000:
AJ Jenkins 2.0
WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size with below average height and length for the position. Limited strength, muscle and overall growth potential. Struggles with physical defenders and doesn't have ideal body strength - will be overwhelmed in man coverage. Looks to avoid contact and would much rather escape out of bounds or go around defenses. Needs to secure the ball through the process to eliminate drops and fumbles. Smallish target for quarterbacks.

Cooks expects to Bench 225 20+ reps. AJJ couldn't find the bench if you walked him to the weight room and sat him on the bench.
AJ Jenkins 2.0

Cooks lack of size is offset by his ability to start, stop and cut on the same dime. Recognizing that in order to properly asses a players potential we should look at the pluses and the minuses, I'll refer you to the rest of the scouting report that you linked to:

OVERVIEW

Cooks grew up in Stockton, Calif. and went on to become a three-sport start at Lincoln High School, where he also played basketball and competed as a sprinter while earning the nickname of "Sonic Boom."

Rated as the No. 22 receiver in the nation by Rivals.com, Cooks committed to Oregon State and played in all 12 games with three starts as a freshman.

Cooks really burst onto the scene in 2012 as a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award after posting 1,151 receiving yards. Anyone concerned that Cooks' numbers were inflated while playing opposite Markus Wheaton had their fears curbed in 2013, when Cooks won the Biletnikoff Award after leading the FBS with 1,670 receiving yards during the regular season.

At just 5-10 and 186 pounds, he lacks elite size for the position, but he shines with his natural athleticism and dynamic ability before and after he touches the ball.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS: Special athlete with explosive feet and natural burst - springs in his legs. Fluid body control with excellent start/stop moves, open-field vision and patient hesitation to elude defenders - joystick moves with loose hips and joints. Beautiful acceleration with speed to burn - electric after the catch.

Quick hands to adjust and pluck with very good coordination to look the ball into his mitts. Quick footwork to set up his routes and fool defenders - has worked hard to fine-tune this area. Works hard to max out his frame.

Strong football character. Tough individual - has never missed a game at any level. Experience on special teams as a return man - became full-time punt returner in 2013 (6.0 average). Very productive and 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner as nation's top receiver - set Oregon State and Pac-12 records for catches (128) and receiving yards (1,730), also setting new school record for touchdown catches (24).

COMPARES TO: Tavon Austin, St. Louis Rams - Cooks is a slightly bigger, not as fast version of Austin due to explosive feet, open-field moves and natural athleticism that makes him a home-run threat whenever he touches the ball.

--Dane Brugler (1/2/14)

After you read the rest of this I think you should personally apologize to Cooks and all of his future male children for giving him the AJ Jenkins treatment.

Here is another report on Cooks from long time NFL veteran talent evaluator Greg Gabriel:

Brandin Cooks – Wide Receiver

Size – 5010e – 188e – 4.45e

Strong Points – Very productive, hands, routes, run after catch, has returned kicks

Weak Points – Lacks ideal size

Summation – Cooks is a third-year junior who entered the Draft as an underclassmen. He was one of the most productive receivers in the country for the 2013 season with 128 receptions for 1730 yards and 16 touchdowns. He also ran for 217 yards on 32 carries.

Cooks is not the biggest receiver. He is listed as being 5010 – 188 and may not be that big. He is an excellent athlete with speed and very good body control. I would estimate his play speed as being in the 4.45 area. He has very good quickness, instant change of direction, and can stop and start as quickly as any player I have ever seen.

In the Oregon State offense, he isn't required to run a lot of different routes, but he does run very good routes. He can cut very quickly and easily gains separation. His ability to cut multiple times in a route and stay under control is rare. He is used mostly on bubble screens, comebacks, crossing routes, and go routes. He has very good hands and easily adjusts to the ball in the air. He consistently catches the ball away from his body.

Despite his lack of top size, he is fearless in traffic and very competitive going after the ball. After the catch, he has excellent run skills. He is an instinctive runner who can make multiple defenders miss in space. With his burst and speed, he is a threat to turn any short catch into a long gain. As a blocker, he is willing but not consistently effective. As a freshman, Cooks returned kickoffs and averaged better than 22 yards per return. He returned punts this year for a six yard average.

Brandin Cooks is a very exciting receiver to watch. He is quick, fast, elusive, and competitive. I see no reason why he wouldn't step in and start as a rookie in the right situation. Big receivers are in vogue in the NFL right now but Cooks has a special skill set. He will be best off as a slot receiver and should put up big numbers once he gets accustomed to the NFL game. I see no reason why he wouldn't be a top return guy, also. His size may keep him out of the first round but he will be long gone before the midway part of the second round.

Grade – A 6.7

Yes Cooks will go to the ground when he's surrounded and will scoot out of bounds rather than drop a shoulder, but hey nobody's perfect. However for the rest of the story, take a look at this catch @3:25 on Dion Bailey's video at Draft Breakdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7fW-ZwY3s#t=35

Way more heart than Jenkins ever had.

Chances are a player like Cooks would have made a difference in the games against the Panthers and the Saints. IMO It is highly likely that Cooks, due to his movement skills, will go onto the NFL and become a legitimate playmaker.
[ Edited by Needle on Feb 21, 2014 at 9:57 PM ]
Nice mock. No offensive lineman except a pup list guy but I suppose we could address the OL next year and someone like Bykowski could take Goodwins spot,
Thanks. I'm guessing that Kilgore replaces Goodwin and that the team is fine with Looney being the top backup inside and Snyder filling in as needed.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
AJ Jenkins 2.0

Lol . When you watch the tapes and know their work ethic there probably aren´t two things more opposite in this world than AJ Jenkins and Brandin Cooks !

Sorry i coudn´t resist. The music kills me
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 22, 2014 at 9:12 PM ]
Good mock except for Bailey. He won't be available in the 4th round.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Good mock except for Bailey. He won't be available in the 4th round.

You have a good point as I'm a Dion Bailey believer and see him as a good value in the 3rd. My justification of his availability at the top of the 4th is based on NFL Draft Scout (the best guideline on the net imo) having him going in the 4th and rating him as the 126th player overall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

If I'm that dead set on Bailey I'll have to switch things up as It looks like Cooks has blown a hole in my idea of trading back for an early 4th.
Share 49ersWebzone