LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Aaron lynch in the mid-late rounds as 3-4 OLB pass rusher

Provides depth at OLB
I wonder if transfering from UND caused him to drop down boards. He was a 1st rd pick for me, but has dropped, not the best season. Maybe mid-late round guy. Not sure how well he would transition to 3-4 OLB.
maybe worth a look once all needs are addressed , he is a talented kid that's for sure
I read somewhere he lacks motivation and his motor runs hot and cold. I would only kick the tires on him late in the draft.
5th round possibility. If he goes earlier, then more power to him... but there isn't enough to look his way earlier, IMHO.
A little snippet from the ESPN (Insider) Scouts Inc scouting report on Aaron Lynch . . . .

Under the intangibles trait (Rated 5 "Marginal")

"Multiple NFL scouts have vocalized concerns regarding his mental makeup, football character, true commitment to the game, self-discipline and maturity level. Combine interviews only added to concerns (was thrown out of one teams' interview for lying)."

I could totally see Harbaugh going "Judge Judy" on him.
He disappointed the heck out of me this past season. Not sure if his heart is really in it, kind of tough to get a read on a guy like that but the talent level is undeniable. I do keep thinking he'd do better as a 3-4 DE and not an OLB. He looked a lot better at Notre Dame with some extra weight on him. I don't see him as the edge rusher type but do think if he got his weight up to around 275-280 he could do very well at DE.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I wonder if transfering from UND caused him to drop down boards. He was a 1st rd pick for me, but has dropped, not the best season. Maybe mid-late round guy. Not sure how well he would transition to 3-4 OLB.

Exactly what happened. when he showed up on the scene at South Bend he was head and shoulders above Tuitt and Nix. he got his wish to be close to home but that ultimately has cost him direly in his stock and the money that was to be had.
Sounds like too much of a reclamation project. If our roster wasn't so deep we might have room for him but the only place we have room for projects in the DL is the practice squad and he probably wouldn't last there and another team would nab him.
I know this was posted back in February, but let me go on the record and say he is........Not going to be drafted. I feel the same about V. Hampton and L. Purifoy. These kids have so many issues, I simply think the talent and overall transition to the NFL is not worth the late round investment. You want late rounders to love the game, and stay clean.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I know this was posted back in February, but let me go on the record and say he is........Not going to be drafted. I feel the same about V. Hampton and L. Purifoy. These kids have so many issues, I simply think the talent and overall transition to the NFL is not worth the late round investment. You want late rounders to love the game, and stay clean.

I see it as a chance to get the occasional steal like New England got with Dennard when they drafted him. Some of these guys will continue to be knuckleheads, others will turn it around, at least somewhat. If a guy is a talented enough and the risks are minimal, it's worth a look. Not sure how I feel about a guy like Lyerla though who has simply been a basket case for awhile, not sure there's much other than psychiatric drugs that can help him.
Per Barrows blog post this morning we had Lynch in for a visit

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/04/baalkes-list-analyzing-the-49ers-pre-draft-visitors.html
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I see it as a chance to get the occasional steal like New England got with Dennard when they drafted him. Some of these guys will continue to be knuckleheads, others will turn it around, at least somewhat. If a guy is a talented enough and the risks are minimal, it's worth a look. Not sure how I feel about a guy like Lyerla though who has simply been a basket case for awhile, not sure there's much other than psychiatric drugs that can help him.

I think we will try and get him to put on more weight to become a DE
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
I think we will try and get him to put on more weight to become a DE
Would not rule it out but I don't think so. He has to gain about 35 pounds in order to line up at 5-technique DE. Though, he has to gain about 15 pounds in order to get to AS-level.
Originally posted by communist:
Would not rule it out but I don't think so. He has to gain about 35 pounds in order to line up at 5-technique DE. Though, he has to gain about 15 pounds in order to get to AS-level.

Apparently, he's now at somewhere between 250-260 lbs, and at 6'6" with his frame, I have to think the 49ers trainers could get another 15-20 lbs of muscle on him within a season or so.

If Tomsula and Cowboy can get this kid focused and to bring his violent and disruptive line play to the stadium every week, he could be pretty special.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on May 11, 2014 at 8:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone