LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Off-Season Predictions and Mock Draft

Everyone does mocks, so I won't annoy you with my opinions and thoughts on what the 49ers should do or what I think we should do. I'll go down a more simple road and try to predict the off-season moves of Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh. Feel free to chime in and explain why you think my predictions are right, wrong, etc. FYI I didn't do a full draft, I gave a summary of how I felt the overall draft would look and only detailed a few picks.

Free Agents;

Resigned- Boldin, Dawson, Whinter, Wilhoite, Cox, Wright, McCoy, Brown.

Boldin, Dawson and Wilhoite are a given to be resigned, they will all play a key role in the 49ers quest for six in 2014. Cox and Wright are simply camp fodder unless one of the two surprises and works himself into the 3rd or 4th corner spot. The surprise here is obviously McCoy, he is obviously not the most popular player on the team, nor the most talented. With that said he isn't as bad as some Zoners would have you believe. For the most part he will be camp fodder as I'm sure the 49ers will draft another quarterback in this years draft. I think Jim wants to see at least one more year of pre-season play from Colt, and prove to himself and the world that he is one of the best qb whispers in the game. To be completely transparent I'm not sure if we keep Whitner or Brown but I don't think the 49ers will keep both but anything is possible.

Walk- Terrell Brown, Jonathan Goodwin, Mario Manningham, Kassim Osgood, Anthony Dixon.

With teams like Oakland, Cleveland, and Indianapolis holding on to tons of cap money I expect guys like Brown, and Dixon to get the true cap number they deserve from a team with much more money to spend in free agency than us. It will be bitter sweet to see some of these guys go, you hate to lose a good player but with the 49ers war chest of draft picks the options to fill that need are limitless.

Restructure- Willis, Gore, Vernon, Rogers.

Three of the 49ers leaders step up and move some money around to help their team get better now. I'm sure most of you are surprised to see Rogers as a restructured player. Instead of being cut all together. To be honest I think he will be asked to reduce his deal to epic portions or see the door. If Rogers is smart he will reduce his deal and hope that he can beat out Wright, Cox, and a pair of rookies in order to make the team in 2014. I don't see Baalke giving him any more or less than he gave Nnamdi last season. The ONLY reason I don't think they cut him out right is because with Brown leaving, and not knowing what condition Culliver will be in, the coaching staff and front office will feel better if they had Rogers veteran presence in the secondary. Not to mention that Rogers is better than most 49ers fans would ever give him credit for.

Cut- Dahl (I know there will be others, more than likely Rogers and we give his salary to Brown, and use the extra 5 mill bump in cap to resign Whitner maybe?)

The LMJ Situation- Traded to some team for a 2015 pick.

Trent and Jim just need to chalk the 2012 draft up to being a big mistake with good intentions. We all know the debacle that A.J. Jenkins was, but in my opinion LMJ was a train wreck. All for the simple fact that you don't draft a rb in round 2 to be a kick returner and/or change of pace back. The offensive staff just didn't give the guy a legit shot, mainly because he does not fit what the 49ers want to do on offense. It's time to move on and salvage what they can for LMJ, and draft a legit punt/kick returner.

The draft-

1. (PICK 30) Odell Beckham Jr. (WR, LSU)

Even if Boldin comes back, the 49ers still need an answer at wide receiver past the next year or two. They also need someone who can beat press at the line of scrimmage and apply pressure on the Seahawks secondary with speed and the threat to make some big plays deep. In the 2013 off season the 49ers brought aboard two LSU Tigers, Eric Reid and Glen Dorsey, I think they go back to the swamp again and find them an offensive weapon from the bayou.

2. (Pick 56) Jason Verrett (CB, TCU)

The 49ers use a luxury pick awarded to them in the Alex Smith trade to find a corner who can step in and play from day one. Verrett can work as a nickel corner this season but will eventually be bumped outside once he builds confidence with coaching staff and shows that he can be trusted to play the majority of the defensive snaps.

3. (Pick 61) Trent Murphy (DE/OLB, Stanford)

The 49ers finally select a player from Stanford since Jim Harbaugh has been head coach. I know this won't be the sexiest or most popular pick but this kid is a grinder, with all the measurable to be a 49er pass rusher. With Aldon Smith's situation and the fact that our pass rush was just lacked at times during last season I see this as a perfect fit.

4. (Pick 77) Craig Loston ( S, LSU)

Every year there is a common theme in the draft, last year everyone was draft offensive tackles left and right. This year I think the "trend" will be big corners and safeties due to the Seahawks success. I think Jim and Trent will do their due diligence and find the best football players regardless of size. This allows the 49ers to get a steal in the second round with Loston. He also serves as a long term solution to replacing Whitner, seeing as how we know he and Eric Reid make a great safety tandem.

5. (Pick 94) Cyril Richardson (G/OT, Baylor)

Sure he had a horrible Senior Bowl, but I don't think that should be an indictment on the kid's chances at the next level. Playing at Baylor, I'm sure he's familiar with pass blocking seeing as how Art Briles loves to sling the rock around. He's also no stranger to run blocking and can be as nasty as a Wal-Mart toilet seat when making a hole for running backs. At the end of the day the 49ers get a guy who can replace Mike Iupati if he leaves in free agency during the 2015 season, or he can replace Anthony Davis at tackle if he continues to struggle in pass protection.

6. (Pick 125) Rob Herron (WR, Wyoming)

He's fast, elusive and a flat out playmaker. The 49ers need a guy like this who can make something out of nothing and force a secondary to play two safeties deep. He can also chip in on kick return duty until he works himself into a regular role in the WR corps. This kid is going to be the type of WR that flat out gives the Seahawks fits. To be honest he could be mediocre in every other game he plays just as long as her burns the Seahawks.

Well that's as far as this train goes boys. I don't know enough about all the talent coming in to do deep into the draft with predictions. I do know a few things; at one point the 49ers will trade down, or out of a round all together and horde some picks for next year. I expect a play like Aaron Colvin to be drafted and rehabbed, as well as a potential back up for Kap that doesn't make fans s**t the bed at the thought of the backup quarterback actually having to play a game or two. Hope you enjoyed, feel free to rip my thought process…
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM ]
Hopefully there are better options available when we pick.
Verrett will be gone by pick #56 And Herron will probably be gone by our 4th round pick. All good players selected.
If Trent Murphy is there in the third round would be a gift.
Nothing so far has convinced me that we won't move up to select m. evans or k. benjamin and it's not out of the? to move up for r. hageman
I like this mock offseason. I could see Verrett falling due to size concerns, Herron as well. I don't know if they would fall as a far as you have them falling though. If they did that'd be great though. I don't know where we'd fit someone like Murphy when we already have Brooks, Skuta, Lemonier, and Aldon at OLB. I think it would be wise to keep Rogers if he restructures but I doubt he'd beat out anyone we'd draft in the 1st through 3rd rounds at this point in his career. I am still angry with him for the NFCCG.
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
Nothing so far has convinced me that we won't move up to select m. evans or k. benjamin and it's not out of the? to move up for r. hageman

I hate to break it to you but just because you're not convinced doesn't mean that it's going to happen.

Benjamin may very well be on the board when our pick rolls around and Evans isn't worth moving up for. No WR in this draft is worth moving up for especially into the top 10.

Since Harbaugh and Roman era started the 49ers have been 31st/31st/32nd in the league in pass attempts on offense. When you're that consistent in not throwing the ball much you don't trade away a large chunk of your draft(in a year which has the best talent in a while) to draft a receiver.

IMO if they're planning on trading up in the first it will be to move up for Dix/Pryor or Dennard/Gilbert but I think they're more likely to move up in/into the 2nd or 3rd rounds.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Verrett will be gone by pick #56 And Herron will probably be gone by our 4th round pick. All good players selected.

if the 49ers get a 3rd round comp, that will be the #6 pick.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Everyone does mocks, so I won't annoy you with my opinions and thoughts on what the 49ers should do or what I think we should do. I'll go down a more simple road and try to predict the off-season moves of Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh. Feel free to chime in and explain why you think my predictions are right, wrong, etc. FYI I didn't do a full draft, I gave a summary of how I felt the overall draft would look and only detailed a few picks.

Free Agents;

Boldin, Dawson and Wilhoite are a given to be resigned, they will all play a key role in the 49ers quest for six in 2014. Cox and Wright are simply camp fodder unless one of the two surprises and works himself into the 3rd or 4th corner spot. The surprise here is obviously McCoy, he is obviously not the most popular player on the team, nor the most talented. With that said he isn't as bad as some Zoners would have you believe. For the most part he will be camp fodder as I'm sure the 49ers will draft another quarterback in this years draft. I think Jim wants to see at least one more year of pre-season play from Colt, and prove to himself and the world that he is one of the best qb whispers in the game. To be completely transparent I'm not sure if we keep Whitner or Brown but I don't think the 49ers will keep both but anything is possible.

Walk- Terrell Brown, Jonathan Goodwin, Mario Manningham, Kassim Osgood, Anthony Dixon.

With teams like Oakland, Cleveland, and Indianapolis holding on to tons of cap money I expect guys like Brown, and Dixon to get the true cap number they deserve from a team with much more money to spend in free agency than us. It will be bitter sweet to see some of these guys go, you hate to lose a good player but with the 49ers war chest of draft picks the options to fill that need are limitless.

Three of the 49ers leaders step up and move some money around to help their team get better now. I'm sure most of you are surprised to see Rogers as a restructured player. Instead of being cut all together. To be honest I think he will be asked to reduce his deal to epic portions or see the door. If Rogers is smart he will reduce his deal and hope that he can beat out Wright, Cox, and a pair of rookies in order to make the team in 2014. I don't see Baalke giving him any more or less than he gave Nnamdi last season. The ONLY reason I don't think they cut him out right is because with Brown leaving, and not knowing what condition Culliver will be in, the coaching staff and front office will feel better if they had Rogers veteran presence in the secondary. Not to mention that Rogers is better than most 49ers fans would ever give him credit for.

Cut- Dahl (I know there will be others, more than likely Rogers and we give his salary to Brown, and use the extra 5 mill bump in cap to resign Whitner maybe?)

Trent and Jim just need to chalk the 2012 draft up to being a big mistake with good intentions. We all know the debacle that A.J. Jenkins was, but in my opinion LMJ was a train wreck. All for the simple fact that you don't draft a rb in round 2 to be a kick returner and/or change of pace back. The offensive staff just didn't give the guy a legit shot, mainly because he does not fit what the 49ers want to do on offense. It's time to move on and salvage what they can for LMJ, and draft a legit punt/kick returner.

The draft-

Even if Boldin comes back, the 49ers still need an answer at wide receiver past the next year or two. They also need someone who can beat press at the line of scrimmage and apply pressure on the Seahawks secondary with speed and the threat to make some big plays deep. In the 2013 off season the 49ers brought aboard two LSU Tigers, Eric Reid and Glen Dorsey, I think they go back to the swamp again and find them an offensive weapon from the bayou.

The 49ers use a luxury pick awarded to them in the Alex Smith trade to find a corner who can step in and play from day one. Verrett can work as a nickel corner this season but will eventually be bumped outside once he builds confidence with coaching staff and shows that he can be trusted to play the majority of the defensive snaps.

The 49ers finally select a player from Stanford since Jim Harbaugh has been head coach. I know this won't be the sexiest or most popular pick but this kid is a grinder, with all the measurable to be a 49er pass rusher. With Aldon Smith's situation and the fact that our pass rush was just lacked at times during last season I see this as a perfect fit.

Every year there is a common theme in the draft, last year everyone was draft offensive tackles left and right. This year I think the "trend" will be big corners and safeties due to the Seahawks success. I think Jim and Trent will do their due diligence and find the best football players regardless of size. This allows the 49ers to get a steal in the second round with Loston. He also serves as a long term solution to replacing Whitner, seeing as how we know he and Eric Reid make a great safety tandem.

Sure he had a horrible Senior Bowl, but I don't think that should be an indictment on the kid's chances at the next level. Playing at Baylor, I'm sure he's familiar with pass blocking seeing as how Art Briles loves to sling the rock around. He's also no stranger to run blocking and can be as nasty as a Wal-Mart toilet seat when making a hole for running backs. At the end of the day the 49ers get a guy who can replace Mike Iupati if he leaves in free agency during the 2015 season, or he can replace Anthony Davis at tackle if he continues to struggle in pass protection.

He's fast, elusive and a flat out playmaker. The 49ers need a guy like this who can make something out of nothing and force a secondary to play two safeties deep. He can also chip in on kick return duty until he works himself into a regular role in the WR corps. This kid is going to be the type of WR that flat out gives the Seahawks fits. To be honest he could be mediocre in every other game he plays just as long as her burns the Seahawks.

Well that's as far as this train goes boys. I don't know enough about all the talent coming in to do deep into the draft with predictions. I do know a few things; at one point the 49ers will trade down, or out of a round all together and horde some picks for next year. I expect a play like Aaron Colvin to be drafted and rehabbed, as well as a potential back up for Kap that doesn't make fans s**t the bed at the thought of the backup quarterback actually having to play a game or two. Hope you enjoyed, feel free to rip my thought process…

I took this same approach last year under the title, Team Needs - Updates. I updated as we went (tons of moves/transactions). It was a lot of work, no doubt.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/search=Team%20Needs

Feel free to build off it if you'd like and I'll start a 2014 version.
2. (Pick 56) Jason Verrett (CB, TCU) He would be a excellent pick for this secondary and the way you described to use him is perfect. I have a gut feeling despite his size hes going to be a good corner in the league. All of our corners are his size so his height should not be a issue. Only problem is i don't think he slips to 56 he might go between 25-32 or top 10 in the 2nd round the Niners should move up in the 2nd round if hes there to get him,

Now that you've written your expectations, Baalke's come out and said he's not trading LMJ...not expecting to restructure Gore's salary, either. You included Brown among the re-signees, but then listed him again as a "walk". Which is it? Don't necessarily agree they'll keep McCoy, either.

- Beckham. I think it could be him...or Landry. Also wouldn't surprise me to see CB be the 1st pick. Would love Kyle Fuller. Or DL stud Stephon Tuitt.

- Verrett. Don't see him lasting 'til pick 56. If CB taken in 1st rd, maybe a speedster WR in 2nd.

- Murphy. He could become the first Stanford player to play for Harbaugh in the pros.

- Loston. Good pick, but not sure he's still on the board at #77.

- Richardson. Taking an OL is usually a good thing. But methinks it'd be for depth...I see Looney either replacing Goodwin or Iupati. I see Seymour becoming the interior swing OL and Marquardt the swing OT.

- Herron. Agree he's a nifty playmaker. No way he lasts into the 6th rd.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

Free Agents;

The draft-

I took this same approach last year under the title, Team Needs - Updates. I updated as we went (tons of moves/transactions). It was a lot of work, no doubt.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/search=Team%20Needs

Feel free to build off it if you'd like and I'll start a 2014 version.

I'll look into that, hopefully I have the time to do it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I find it interesting that Trent is saying he won't trade LMJ, but that could just be positioning with teams who have already called about James.

I guess with the 5mill increase on the salary cap, they won't bother redoing Frank's deal. Which seems fair given all he has done for this team and more than likely he is on his last contract.
I would trade James i hope his comments were a bluff it's not that i don't think hes not a good player it's just Roman isn't creative enough to figure out how to use him i rather get something for him otherwise he will just sit on the bench not utilized.
Share 49ersWebzone