There are 262 users in the forums

Package some mid round picks to move up for an additional 2nd round pick ???

are any of you in favor of swapping a few mid round picks to get closer and grab another impact player?

maybe try to get an additional 2nd round pick by swapping out a few mid round picks, because it will be difficult for all of the draft picks to make the team, especially any picks after the 4th, not too many jobs available, so moving up in the draft and grabbing a top prospect at WR, CB, SS or G would be a smart move IMO ....or we could trade our first rounder and some mid round picks to move up in the 1st round, and grab a potential day one starter ...just like last year

any thoughts?
Why would teams give us their 2nd round pick for our late mid-round picks?
to get more picks , if we move one of our 3rd round picks and a 4th, its possible we could move up, a few teams are looking for more draft picks to build their roster......Baalke will get creative, I just know it
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
to get more picks , if we move one of our 3rd round picks and a 4th, its possible we could move up, a few teams are looking for more draft picks to build their roster......Baalke will get creative, I just know it

Ok, when I think of mid-round picks I think of 4th/5th rounders, which we don't have enough to really make it worth while. I can definitely see Baalke using an extra 3rd rounder to move into the mid 2nd, especially if we get that 3rd round compensatory pick (gives us more bullets to work with).
it would be nice to snag another 2nd ...or even a 3rd , and yes , we need as much ammo as we can get, this year we need to knock the door down with authority
With the depth of this draft there will be plenty of talented players we can get in the 3rd round so there is no need to package a 3 and a 4 to get a 2nd rounder. I doubt anyone would give up a 3rd rounder for our 4th and 5th rd picks. You could see us using picks to move up a few slots but with the depth of this draft it is just as likely to see us drop back and aquire extra picks.

If a player we truly covet is not available at #30 we could move back 5-6 slots and pick up and extra 3rd rounder like last year and there would still be a lot of players we like available to pick like Fuller or Verrett or Landry. We could make that move twice and pick up two 3rd round picks and still be sitting at #40 and have a ton of talented players to draft.

The deeper the draft the more value there is in moving back and not up and this is a very deep draft. It just depends on who's still on the board.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
With the depth of this draft there will be plenty of talented players we can get in the 3rd round so there is no need to package a 3 and a 4 to get a 2nd rounder. I doubt anyone would give up a 3rd rounder for our 4th and 5th rd picks. You could see us using picks to move up a few slots but with the depth of this draft it is just as likely to see us drop back and aquire extra picks.

If a player we truly covet is not available at #30 we could move back 5-6 slots and pick up and extra 3rd rounder like last year and there would still be a lot of players we like available to pick like Fuller or Verrett or Landry. We could make that move twice and pick up two 3rd round picks and still be sitting at #40 and have a ton of talented players to draft.

The deeper the draft the more value there is in moving back and not up and this is a very deep draft. It just depends on who's still on the board.

I generally agree with that, but if there's someone they really want in the 1st or 2nd, Baalke hasn't been afraid to move up and get that guy. In other words, they seem to fixate on certain players and do what it takes to land them. The flips side of course is that if they don't particularly care for someone, they're not afraid to move back and get picks for the next year.

So....
I would like to get another 2nd. Its not secret that this draft class is deeeeep. So we can get 1st round talent on sale in round 2. Guys like J. Mathews, D. Adams, D. Moncrief, Roby, Roberson, Bucannon. Will all be there in the 2nd.

1st) B. Cook WR - 'Take the top off for us' and can return kicks.
2nd) B Roby CB - Crazy athletic corner who could be NB this year.
2nd) D. Bucannon SS - Big rangy SS who can hit.
2nd) D. Moncrief WR - Underrated stud player.

That would make me happy happy happy
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

I generally agree with that, but if there's someone they really want in the 1st or 2nd, Baalke hasn't been afraid to move up and get that guy. In other words, they seem to fixate on certain players and do what it takes to land them. The flips side of course is that if they don't particularly care for someone, they're not afraid to move back and get picks for the next year.

So....

EXACTLY
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I would like to get another 2nd. Its not secret that this draft class is deeeeep. So we can get 1st round talent on sale in round 2. Guys like J. Mathews, D. Adams, D. Moncrief, Roby, Roberson, Bucannon. Will all be there in the 2nd.

1st) B. Cook WR - 'Take the top off for us' and can return kicks.
2nd) B Roby CB - Crazy athletic corner who could be NB this year.
2nd) D. Bucannon SS - Big rangy SS who can hit.
2nd) D. Moncrief WR - Underrated stud player.

That would make me happy happy happy

great example ...that's what I'm talking about, grabbing impact players that will contribute asap, plus we would still have enough mid & late round picks to toy around with and draft players to develop for down the road, it's going to be a fun draft for 49ers fans

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

So....

With the wealth of picks this year I would be happy to pass one back for a higher pick next year.
From Baalke's press conference:

Q: How much stock do GMs put on the trade value chart?

BAALKE: It's the standard. Everybody uses it. So, you have to understand it and you have to take a look at it. You're always trying to win. We're in a competitive business. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Sometimes it makes sense to disregard it and make the decision you think you need to make to get the player you want. The No.1 thing is targeting the players that you want, identifying those and finding a way to go get them.
I would package the late round picks (6th, three 7th's) to move up in the 4th or 5th if possible. What the hell we need so many 7th's for anyways?
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM ]
I want to go the other way....make like its 1986 and trade out of the first round for picks next year (Maybe a 2 or a 3)?

Then take 3 players in round 2 and 3 players in round 3. WR, DBs, D-Line.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I want to go the other way....make like its 1986 and trade out of the first round for picks next year (Maybe a 2 or a 3)?

Then take 3 players in round 2 and 3 players in round 3. WR, DBs, D-Line.

That's definitely one approach. I like the idea of drafting more "Lattimore's," guys who were highly rated but are injured and need a year of rehab. The idea of having them around the team, learning the playbook and understanding what it takes to be a professional AND still not using up a year on their contract is really appealing.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone